• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Boura Shields

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone have a picture of a Boura Shield they can show us? I've heard they look like the wooden kites and are quite useful.
Ta.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone have a picture of a Boura Shield they can show us? I've heard they look like the wooden kites and are quite useful.
Ta.
I've farmed about 500 boura pelts and have only gotten one so far.. I'm not at home to post a screenshot. They are nice, I've yet to use one in PvP. It acts like the paralyze spell. It paralyzes opponents for 3 seconds, regardless of resist. It does NOT set off the non-para timer like a stun punch or paralyzing blow. It has a 30% chance to paralyze your attacker if you parry a shot.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well.. pretty much. It has like 10 physical resist. If you are human you would have JoAT parry and have a chance at the reactive paralyze I suppose.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if it can be imbued? It is interesting, would be fun to play with say a 4/6 chiv or a necro warrior.

S

Stupid Miner

I wonder if it can be imbued? It is interesting, would be fun to play with say a 4/6 chiv or a necro warrior.
Boura Tail Shield (Wooden Kite Shield)

· Reactive Paralyze
· Reflect Physical Damage: 10%
· Physical Resist: 8%
· Energy Resist: 1%

No reason they can't
Btw, they're the color of Boura Skins

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Too bad it doesn't have spell channeling... or I'd be trying to get one for my Parry-Mage. That reactive paralyze could come in handy.

In this world of warriors using bushido, however, I don't see this as being overly useful. If you have a parry-only warrior you'd probably be using a shield with both HCI and DCI or a DCI/FC1 shield. If you just want resists you'd be using a Sentinel's Guard or a Blackthorn's Exemplar. Am I missing something that would make this shield extremely useful?

-OBSIDIAN-

S

Stupid Miner

Too bad it doesn't have spell channeling... or I'd be trying to get one for my Parry-Mage. That reactive paralyze could come in handy.

In this world of warriors using bushido, however, I don't see this as being overly useful. If you have a parry-only warrior you'd probably be using a shield with both HCI and DCI or a DCI/FC1 shield. If you just want resists you'd be using a Sentinel's Guard or a Blackthorn's Exemplar. Am I missing something that would make this shield extremely useful?

-OBSIDIAN-
Imbue it.
... and it may have a tactical niche that hasn't been discovered yet.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-OBSIDIAN-
Why yes, I think a Passive para hit would come in useful.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Iv been looking for one on atl for weeks now, thought now might be a good time to bring it up if anyone has a spare they would like to sell

Thunderz

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got another one today, within the hour like last night so they are not to terribly hard to get.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far; i've got one more question.

Do these shields drop from all kinds of bouras?

I've been hunting ruddy and high plains to no avail, but I've noticed the high plains have a special tail attack so was wondering if these fellas drop the shields.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

It'll be interesting to see what intensity the shield has, I tried getting one on TC to find out but got bored of it, I expect we wont be able to lower the resists but we should be able to lower the RPD.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it will really depend on what the property weight of "reactive paralyze" is.

Hopefully I'll just be able to add spell channeling. It sucks because you will have to use it with a penalty. Just means I'll have to change my jewels around I guess.

I'd be really happy if I could do SC with no penalty.

It could also be very useful for a 4/6 AI spammer. I personally won't play any template where I can't chug a potion without disarming something first, but I can see people using it.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If it has a cap of 450% the 8 Phys and Reactive would need to count as no more than 204% combined (140% & 64%?) to allow you to have SC no penalty... I think thats got a good chance.

(assuming you lower the RPD to 1 (6%) and the Energy Resist doesn't count because its inate from the shield type)

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far; i've got one more question.

Do these shields drop from all kinds of bouras?

I've been hunting ruddy and high plains to no avail, but I've noticed the high plains have a special tail attack so was wondering if these fellas drop the shields.
I got mine off either the lowland or the ruddy. I did not hunt the high plains because of the little extra dangers in the area.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it has a cap of 450% the 8 Phys and Reactive would need to count as no more than 204% combined (140% & 64%?) to allow you to have SC no penalty... I think thats got a good chance.

(assuming you lower the RPD to 1 (6%) and the Energy Resist doesn't count because its inate from the shield type)
Has anyone been able to test this? My concern was the number of mods. If the 1 energy really is inate then it should be fine, but I don't know if it takes up a mod slot or not.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone been able to test this? My concern was the number of mods. If the 1 energy really is inate then it should be fine, but I don't know if it takes up a mod slot or not.
Getting ready too right now. Just finished harvesting some snake skin. I would like to put some DCI on it as well, but need fragments for that, and I am somewhat new to imbuing.

EDIT- Forget it, It can't be imbued as of now on production shards. I wonder if it can be on Test Center.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I wanted to do it on Test but haven't had the time.

I love my parry mages.. and this will just give them a little bit of a boost. It would be better if you couldn't trap box out of it, but I'll take what I can get.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I tried on Atlantic the other night to see if it would at least bring up the menu, it wouldn't, and last night I tryed to get one on TC with a Discord/Thrower. Didn't get one though.

The Energy shouldn't take up a slot, different shields give 1 in different resists, Wooden Kite shields like the Boura Tail and Arcane give Energy, Bucklers give Poison, Order/Chaos give Phys I think etc etc. So in that regard it shouldn't, but it just depends if *they* take it into account with the coding of artifacts.

The other numbers were just what you can currently work out with Imbuing 1 RPD (6%), SC -1 (100%), FC 1 (140%) and I expect they're given the non exceptional cap of 450%.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Mine still can't be Imbued. I can't see why these would be on the disabled list.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me neither. I just hunted another one up and was hoping at least the post pub shields would work, but it is a no go.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Not sure, the 3 I've had (ever), have been from the lowland.