• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blatandly breaking game rules?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, we all know that is is not allowed to use weblinks to site selling game items for real money in game. Now, why can people lay out dozends of books advertising exactly those sites at the Catskills Luna bank?

These sites destroy game economy, as they finance scripters and dupers.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because they are doing it on accounts they don't care about. When they get banned they just make another one. There is no way to stop it other than quick GM response which we don't have anymore.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

This certain person is on all shards. Just pick up the books and trash em.. thats what I do :)

R

Rowen

when i notice them on the ground i just pick them up and properly place them in the nearest waste disposal device. :gun: takes a couple of seconds but i wonder if a gm shows up with them in my pack will i get banned? but what are the chances of a gm showing up nowadays :sad4:

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when i notice them on the ground i just pick them up and properly place them in the nearest waste disposal device. :gun: takes a couple of seconds but i wonder if a gm shows up with them in my pack will i get banned? but what are the chances of a gm showing up nowadays :sad4:

I was picking up the books a few months ago to trash them and got help from another player who told me that the character dropping them was afk and run by a script.

The other player paged a GM who actually took the bag of books from my backpack and did something to them and gave the empty bag back.

He told me in that new GM chat message in the lower left corner of the screen that I was doing a good job and that not many people cared anymore. So know that you are doing a good job!

I asked for confirmation that it WAS against the rules to drop books advertising dot com sites and his words were something to the effect that "It would be not wise to get caught with a bagful of those books".

So now I just backspace delete the advertisments and leave them on the ground.

If it's for a search Luna vendors website they also run scripted chars to walk/stealth/hide around Luna to get the Luna vendor items and prices they put up on their website.

Use a char with tracking around Luna city and you will see what I mean.

Keep up the good work.

:}

R

Rix/\

whats sad is I did a personal investigation on a gold seller, I found alot of personal info on them. Where they live, personal numbers, even what type of loan they have on their house. Now if it's so easy that an average joe could find out who is selling and even where they live. Why the hell can't UO/MYTHIC do the same and put an end to this?

and guess what this person is a regular stratics poster.

as far as the books being layed out, I personally never pay attention to them even with legit player events and auctions using the books to advertise. Everyonce and awhile I'll rename them for kicks maybe do alil editing displaying the truth about those sites.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
whats sad is I did a personal investigation on a gold seller, I found alot of personal info on them. Where they live, personal numbers, even what type of loan they have on their house. Now if it's so easy that an average joe could find out who is selling and even where they live. Why the hell can't UO/MYTHIC do the same and put an end to this?
Put an end to what? Unless something has changed the sale of UO items for money isn't against the TOS but advertising the sale of UO items in game is. So having the personal information of a gold seller doesn't do any good.

What I would like to see is all accounts linked to the same credit card get banned when a TOS violation takes place instead of just the account committing the infraction. Though I wonder if that would really solve anything.

R

Rix/\

Put an end to what? Unless something has changed the sale of UO items for money isn't against the TOS but advertising the sale of UO items in game is. So having the personal information of a gold seller doesn't do any good.

What I would like to see is all accounts linked to the same credit card get banned when a TOS violation takes place instead of just the account committing the infraction. Though I wonder if that would really solve anything.

I have mixed feelings about selling ingame items for cash.

I have an idea that everyone could benefit from sellers buyers to UO itself.

UObay!!!!

Rather then having fight the advertising ingame provide them with a place to sell and buy. Making profits off every sale. At first I'm sure the established seller is going tobe totally against this since they have the controll of how and what they sell. But I feel that in time that if UO provided a safe secure place for players to buy and sell. It would definatly bring new players to the game. Look at the popularity of the market for accounts and ingame items through out all the MMO games.

L

lucksi

Items were sold on ebay before. We also had two uoauctions websites that don´t exist anymore.

S

Syfka

i erase the books pick them up and turn them in i need th points and they are only helping me along the way to getting what i want lol

U

UOKaiser

Selling items gold etc.. Has always being a large business in all online games. I can say 20% of the population that play online games are in it for the resale at least it seems like it. It's really mostly players selling there items. Ebay was perfect for players but because of ebay policy afterwards then the individual player got locked out and web businesses arose to make secure trades.
Of course each of the web business do remind the buyers that they are not selling the actual item as that is property of whatever company made the online game. They are selling there time in receiving the item then they trade it to you after you pay for there time.

Most online games that have become popular and have stayed popular have much to about item selling. Others that have no items that can be traded or anything that can be traded and are still around is because they are truly enjoyable games or free to play. I believe it was 1 of the reasons why uo took the item route in AoS to remain competitive against other games which were item based.

I believe at least in uo that the websites get there items by reselling. Buy the item in game for a low amount then sell it for cash at the website. When it comes to gold they buy gold from players at low amounts and then resell it to the premium amount. I remmerber seing post from players selling 90-80-50 per mil and if you check the websites they probably sell it for 1.50 1.25 per mil. Thats pretty much a profit if they bought it from the player. I dont believe the websites even have time to play the game much they just buy it from the players. If ebay was around again to sell items im sure the websites will pretty much go instinct.

C

CatLord

It seems we have the first rats leaving ship...

We have brokers selling 1 million for $0,70...

I wonder how long till the price is so low it makes trading worthless...

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The brokers already have hundreds of ICQ numbers for contacts of ingame buyers. Alot of people that buy gold will end up wanting to buy more and they prob still have the persons ICQ number. So the selling gold market will still thrive.

R

Rix/\

It seems we have the first rats leaving ship...

We have brokers selling 1 million for $0,70...

I wonder how long till the price is so low it makes trading worthless...
I believe that was the price before the change to BoS, I don't see any rats going anywhere. Making gold harder to get only allows those who still have the billion to sell at a higher price. They just seem to be getting desperate to get buyers attention to let them know they're out there. Aslong as there are buyers there will always be someone to sell. UO could control the outside sale market with a UObay system. Except since it's my idea they would have to call it Rixbay.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, that's not creepy and pretty typical stalker behavior that makes you seem a lot worse than a gold seller....

R

Rix/\

Well, that's not creepy and pretty typical stalker behavior that makes you seem a lot worse than a gold seller....
talking from exp?

or is it a being a safe buyer researching who your buying from? or was I asked to investivate a possible fraud? Or did the seller do something that gave me reason to find out their info? I didn't and won't give a reason just know the ability is there.

Assume what you will it's normal on these boards. But the point is that it's not hard to find out who. They'll ban good hearted players for advertising sites during a player event. But are they going to stop this person from advertising with books?

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, we all know that is is not allowed to use weblinks to site selling game items for real money in game. Now, why can people lay out dozends of books advertising exactly those sites at the Catskills Luna bank?

These sites destroy game economy, as they finance scripters and dupers.
I know I play on Catskills (as most of you already know) and when I find these books I pick them up and throw them away. Like most people on the shard I hate these books along with those that try and get players to come to other shards and play. Now books for player ran events on the shard I will leave alone, because I think these events help encourage community on the shard.

L

Lord Kynd

as far as the books being layed out, I personally never pay attention to them even with legit player events and auctions using the books to advertise. Everyonce and awhile I'll rename them for kicks maybe do alil editing displaying the truth about those sites.

lol, you must be the one editing the nasty LLTs books that trash our lands.
:lick:

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have mixed feelings about selling ingame items for cash.

I have an idea that everyone could benefit from sellers buyers to UO itself.

UObay!!!!

Rather then having fight the advertising ingame provide them with a place to sell and buy. Making profits off every sale. At first I'm sure the established seller is going tobe totally against this since they have the controll of how and what they sell. But I feel that in time that if UO provided a safe secure place for players to buy and sell. It would definatly bring new players to the game. Look at the popularity of the market for accounts and ingame items through out all the MMO games.
So if I understand you correctly, you would be for an expanded UOGamecodes.com that sells gold and other such items in the same manner as some of the third party sites?

I've often wondered why game companies don't already do this (I think there may be one or two doing it now). Buying gold is not something that is going to go away, in any game, so why shouldn't the actual game company make the profit to reinvest in the game instead of a third party.

If the company running the game sold the gold directly, thus putting the screws to the third party gold sellers, would this have the byproduct of reducing the amount of "hacked" accounts? Gold sellers for another MMORPG hack accounts to rob them of their gold and use them as gold farming accounts. So if third party sellers can't make a living selling gold because the game company itself is undercutting them to the point where they are out of business they wouldn't be hacking accounts. Maybe that's too much of a reach...

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears quite a few do actually :gun:
Not only that but we all should care. There are a lot more of us, than there are of them (BOTH UO Team and those doing this).

We should not expect the burden to be 100% on the UO Team. If they did that, then they would have NO time to actualy be constructive.

We the community should be able to police this kind of problem.

U

UOKaiser

So if I understand you correctly, you would be for an expanded UOGamecodes.com that sells gold and other such items in the same manner as some of the third party sites?

I've often wondered why game companies don't already do this (I think there may be one or two doing it now). Buying gold is not something that is going to go away, in any game, so why shouldn't the actual game company make the profit to reinvest in the game instead of a third party.

If the company running the game sold the gold directly, thus putting the screws to the third party gold sellers, would this have the byproduct of reducing the amount of "hacked" accounts? Gold sellers for another MMORPG hack accounts to rob them of their gold and use them as gold farming accounts. So if third party sellers can't make a living selling gold because the game company itself is undercutting them to the point where they are out of business they wouldn't be hacking accounts. Maybe that's too much of a reach...

I have a theory on that. If a game company like uo start selling gold where do you believe the gold will come from? It will be magicaly generated out of thin air without any type of game related work. The gold the gold sellers are selling will have to come from players who do all the work for it. Uo for example is looking for ways to get rid of gold, generating it from nothing will pretty much counter that.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a theory on that. If a game company like uo start selling gold where do you believe the gold will come from? It will be magicaly generated out of thin air without any type of game related work. The gold the gold sellers are selling will have to come from players who do all the work for it. Uo for example is looking for ways to get rid of gold, generating it from nothing will pretty much counter that.
I agree that it is a conundrum with no easy solution.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably. i wouldn't go anywhere near those books.

typical disaster of a policy from EA. no big surprise here.

T

The Sandman

2nd Life sells gold and seems really good at it. I'm no expert on how to keep a game economy strong, but I do know that Siege Gold is worth a lot more than other shards.

Maybe make it really harder to get gold (make it heavier would work?) and if we had to pay in gold for houses (property Tax) this would make some of the houses go poof and there would be more room for people who really play...

just brain storming here :scholar:

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole gold selling business is utter nonsense, from a game developer's point of view. Why?

1. Gold needs to circulate within the economy system, and the total amount of gold in game should not change too much, otherwise you'll have inflation or deflation. Both effects can be compared with real-life economy.

2. Gold needs to be available to those who play the game, not to those who have the most cash to buy it. Otherwise big parts of gameplay would become obsolete.

P

PixelPusher

If it's for a search Luna vendors website they also run scripted chars to walk/stealth/hide around Luna to get the Luna vendor items and prices they put up on their website.
And I love them for doing this too! The Dev's won't do anything like this, even though, like so many other things that makes sense, it's been asked for repeatedly for years, so it's about time someone did. Sure, they have to use scripts to do it, but oh well in this case. It hurts no one and helps everyone!

P

PixelPusher

I'm sure it would affect quiet a few, but it still wouldn't touch the ones that are smart enough to use the prepaid "credit" cards from places like Wal*Mart.