• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Best way to farm gems for training?

E

eekamouse

Which is it? :)

Farm gold and buy the gems from NPC?
Farm dragons in Destard or somewhere else?
Level 1 t-maps?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Probably: Farm gold and buy of Gypsy Vagabonds in the wandering gypsy camps of Ilshenar (not the 4 permanent spots).

Next best: farm something that drops gems, and use the EC client to speed looting. My guess is that the 3-gargoyle pass south of compassion (SE of the permanent gypsies by the Central Ilshenar entrance) probably would have a quicker turnover ratio than farming dragons (since you don't have to dodge greater dragons that way). Another spot would be the stone gargoyles around Chaos gate, and down the edge of Ilshenar (where there is a somewhat phallic-shaped box canyon that spawns 3 stone gargoyles). If you had mining and a fire beetle, you could probably ride down there, stack the ore off the corpses, and smelt the ore before you left.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some numbers:
I can get around 350 assorted gems per hour from the gargoyles of the '2-gargolye pass'
I went mining for gems and got around 1600 of them out of 50 sturdys.

Its probably more efficient to just farm the gold and buy the gems. Especially course you need for cheapest training only few kinds of them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I farm them from gargoyles with my thief and a water ele. On occasions when I steal the gems, if it has 4, when the water ele kills it I get another 4 resulting in 8. Of course sometimes I steal gold or a scroll and sometimes it only has 1 gem.

I

imperterritus

Don't forget that if you have an active GM miner, you can get normal gems while mining. You'll need to go to Ter Mur and buy the book which activates this ability, and then set your shovel to mine for "Ore and Gems".

This probably isn't as quick as the other methods, but if you're mining anyway ...

J

[JD]

Probably: use the EC client to speed looting.
Hi Basara, I run EC but not sure what you mean by "Speed Looting".. how do you do that?

Also I've been recalling to Fel cities to buy gems. Are the Gypsies cheaper or are they all the same price, it just depends if someone drove the price up?

Can you give me the basline non driven up prices so I can compare?

Thank you

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cheapest gems start at 50 (citrines). Fel can be lower, if prices are fresh and if its a faction town with lowered prices.

J

[JD]

How do you get lowered faction prices, just be in the faction? I have a toon in TB, I can check Jeweler in Brit perhaps?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hi Basara, I run EC but not sure what you mean by "Speed Looting".. how do you do that?

Also I've been recalling to Fel cities to buy gems. Are the Gypsies cheaper or are they all the same price, it just depends if someone drove the price up?

Can you give me the basline non driven up prices so I can compare?

Thank you

Speed looting: In the Enhanced client, you can loot items from the corpses by right-clicking the desired item in the corpse, instead of having to drag the item to you backpack like in the classic client. So, instead of

open corpse/left click on item (holding shift if a stack)/drag to pack/drop

it's

open corpse/right click on item

T

Tukaram

Not sure what the gems are used for. But I kill tons of Solens doing the Matriarch Quest and can get more money selling the gems than I get in gold. I don't know what is faster but the Solens are a pretty quick respawn and I can kill 6 or 7 at a time (more if they spawned in greater quantities).

Are the gems worth selling to other players?

G

Gelf

If u r hunting for gems a couple good mobs r dull copper ele's(2 gems, 2DC ore and possible crystalized blackrock) and the garg waiths in the tomb of kings

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do Elves still get a better turn out for gems when mining ?

All gems used for imbuing can be retrieved from mining or there is some gems that do not spawn when mining ore ?

G

Gelf

Do Elves still get a better turn out for gems when mining ?

All gems used for imbuing can be retrieved from mining or there is some gems that do not spawn when mining ore ?
not certain if Elves get more,u can get all the regular gems.

A

A Rev

Obviously you cant get brilliant amber or white pearl from mining but im sure you didnt mean those.