• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Shards and how to get the game.

T

Talfryn

I have heard a TON about UO, even played on a friends account for a few minutes a few years ago... it sounds awesome. :thumbsup:

But I have no clue how to get the game. :dunce:

Also, what shards have a good, healthy active, even growing population?

If Sonoma is still up well, that might be it. I am a bit of a Galad fan.

P.S, what is the difference between current UO and Renaissance? My friend stopped playing after that one, so I know about it, then my knowledge drops, =(

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings,

Yes UO is awesome. UO changed alot over the years and will do so again on the next expansion thats coming out on September 8th.

The clients to play UO are free to download. You have the classic 2D client and the new Enhanced client.(Still in Beta)
You can find it all here :

http://www.uoherald.com/news/

Yes Sonoma is still up. The best shard? Atlantic has the highest population but Drachenfels got the nicest community but is small (And is in Europe) .Bigger shards not always better. Maybe start where the closes to you and have the best connection.

To explain whats UO all is about would take us a year or so. But to keep it simple, UO gives you freedom to do in almost everything you want. :)

T

Talfryn

Greetings,

Yes UO is awesome. UO changed alot over the years and will do so again on the next expansion thats coming out on September 8th.

The clients to play UO are free to download. You have the classic 2D client and the new Enhanced client.(Still in Beta)
You can find it all here :

http://www.uoherald.com/news/

Yes Sonoma is still up. The best shard? Atlantic has the highest population but Drachenfels got the nicest community but is small (And is in Europe) .Bigger shards not always better. Maybe start where the closes to you and have the best connection.

To explain whats UO all is about would take us a year or so. But to keep it simple, UO gives you freedom to do in almost everything you want. :)

So what changes have happened? I just want major ones. Atlantic sounds good.

And what is going to change with the new expansion?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what changes have happened? I just want major ones. Atlantic sounds good.

And what is going to change with the new expansion?

There just tons of changes. It a very different game since then. Biggest changes are Elemantal resists/damage on armor/weapons. Customizable houses. Paragon monsters, Arties, Champion Spawns,Mini bosses. Elfs and soon to be gargoyle race. The list go on and on realy :)

Read all the new stuff of the expansion here : http://www.uoherald.com/guide/index.php
Click on Stygian Abyss.

T

Talfryn

There just tons of changes. It a very different game since then. Biggest changes are Elemantal resists/damage on armor/weapons. Customizable houses. Paragon monsters, Arties, Champion Spawns,Mini bosses. Elfs and soon to be gargoyle race. The list go on and on realy :)

Read all the new stuff of the expansion here : http://www.uoherald.com/guide/index.php
Click on Stygian Abyss.
Ah, okay. I guess I will try the trial.

T

Talfryn

Sorry a ton for the double post, but it was post it here, or make a second thread.

I want to be a thief/mage, but I want to be PVP viable. How many skills can you get to 120? and what are the limits to doing that?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As many skills you want. The only limit is the 700 total skill cap. :)

T

Talfryn

As many skills you want. The only limit is the 700 total skill cap. :)
YAAY!

So my insane Damage mage/thief can become a reality!

*whistles to the squad*

:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

I was thinking a build where I wouldn't come out of stealth often, but if I needed to, I wouldn't have my pants down.

P.S What is Siege perilous like, in terms of PVP and loot?

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The population on Siege is down a little, but there seem to be a number of old vets coming back online recently. PvP is a constant there.

Not sure what you mean by loot? You can expect to get looted from day one.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just in case you have trouble finding it on the links to the Herald that have been provided (which is understandable. The navigation system isn't great) this post has direct links to the clients, as well as a link to the herald page with details about them.

T

Talfryn

Just in case you have trouble finding it on the links to the Herald that have been provided (which is understandable. The navigation system isn't great) this post has direct links to the clients, as well as a link to the herald page with details about them.
Yeah, I got the DL and liked it, but I don't know if I like it enough to buy it, with my other MMOs ect, so I am going back and forth on that.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just keep in mind that trial accounts are limited in certain aspects of the game. The 14 trial is just a small, small taste of the full game.

G

Gladius

I have heard a TON about UO, even played on a friends account for a few minutes a few years ago... it sounds awesome. :thumbsup:

Also, what shards have a good, healthy active, even growing population?

If Sonoma is still up well, that might be it. I am a bit of a Galad fan.

P.S, what is the difference between current UO and Renaissance? My friend stopped playing after that one, so I know about it, then my knowledge drops, =(

As for me the best shard is Catskills. Although I had to move on to another shard which had the least lag I feel Catskills is the way to go.

You ask about the best and that is good now if you are into a lot of drama try Origin :D

-G-

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sonoma has a small population, harder to find things sometimes, but plenty of house spots. Atlantic has a much larger player base and if you can't find what your looking for on Atlantic then it probably hasn't been introduced in game. The problem is it will cost you plenty of gold for the elite items (and even the not so elite items), also housing is at a premium for larger houses. Depending on where you live then ping may be a consideration. Sonoma is a west coast shard, Atlantic and Catskills are east coast, and if your in Europe then Dracenfelds might be worth looking into.

T

Talfryn

Sonoma has a small population, harder to find things sometimes, but plenty of house spots. Atlantic has a much larger player base and if you can't find what your looking for on Atlantic then it probably hasn't been introduced in game. The problem is it will cost you plenty of gold for the elite items (and even the not so elite items), also housing is at a premium for larger houses. Depending on where you live then ping may be a consideration. Sonoma is a west coast shard, Atlantic and Catskills are east coast, and if your in Europe then Dracenfelds might be worth looking into.

Yeah, Siege sounds good, if there is lots of gold to be taken from pockets...

What is the monthy payment on UO? Right now I am paying 20 a month total, so I don't want something too crazy, if I decide to join.

My other problem is time, I play two other MMOs, one of which I can log on an hour a day fine, the other, that will totally depend. and once summer is over, I need to fit in a lot of things with the gaming. :wall:

R

RichDC

You've all missed the greatest shard in the game!!!

Great Lakes.

Large population and good community, active PvP, active Factions. Active peerless/doom..

Pretty much, whatever you want to do there are people around to do it with.

R

RichDC

What is the monthy payment on UO? Right now I am paying 20 a month total, so I don't want something too crazy, if I decide to join.

My other problem is time, I play two other MMOs, one of which I can log on an hour a day fine, the other, that will totally depend. and once summer is over, I need to fit in a lot of things with the gaming. :wall:
Trust me when i say once youve started on this, youll be cancelling the other accounts on other games!

If memory serves its $10 a month, or 13 something like that.

G

Gladius

Great Lakes.

Large population and good community, active PvP, active Factions. Active peerless/doom..

Yeah GL is also a good choice! Nice vendor spots too with reasonable prices and a helluva museum.

-G-

V

Vhyle

It's $12.99/mo, $34.99 for 3 months, or #59.99 for 6 months.

I'm about to subscribe later this week. I just got done with my 14-day trial (I'm an old returning vet), so I'm dying to play again.

M

miss uo

Great Lakes.

what he said!!