• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best mount for a human sampire?

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would the best mount for a human sampire with 0 taming be a swamp dragon?

I've been riding a Charger of the Fallen forever now. I never bothered with anything else because I didn't want to be bothered with dealing with my mount dying on me.

Are there better mounts which require 0 taming to control?

Thanks!

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
paroxymus swamp dragon is a staple to most of the sampires i see,however its pricey and not alwasy available.
a regular swampy and exceptional barding to it i believe absorbs more damage than the paroxy version dedpending on ore type.

30% dmg reduction is a wonderful thing
i also carry a charger statue with me in case the swampy dies, but theyre is also a "elixir of rebirth" available from a a quest that can rez your pet, it beats the npc charge for rezzing and you dont have to leave your fighting area to use it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
x2 for armored swamp dragon with ethy/charger backup.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Swamp dragons can wear dragon barding (10% normal, 20% exceptional) to grant you a reduction to damage taken.

Lesser hiryu (if you have 90 Bushido) can be used to assist on offense.

Ethy - always there, no offensive or defensive benefits. Can't be eaten.

Rideable Llama - make cool llama sounds

So the answer is obviously to use the Rideable Llama. In all seriousness, it depends what you're fighting. Most people will prefer swamp dragons for the damage reduction. There is at least one encounter where getting dismounted is bad because the monster will eat your mount (unless it's an ethy).

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
paroxymus swamp dragon is a staple to most of the sampires i see,however its pricey and not alwasy available.
a regular swampy and exceptional barding to it i believe absorbs more damage than the paroxy version dedpending on ore type.

30% dmg reduction is a wonderful thing
i also carry a charger statue with me in case the swampy dies, but theyre is also a "elixir of rebirth" available from a a quest that can rez your pet, it beats the npc charge for rezzing and you dont have to leave your fighting area to use it.
Proxy swampy offer 15% DMG reduction
Normal barding on a swamp dragon offers 10%
Exceptional barding offers 20%
Type of ingots used determin how long the barding will last and how much dmg the dragon can take before dying (i.e. it raises its resists)
"elixir of rebirth" - is from an alchemist turning a bottle of Medusa blood into Elixir (no quest involved), on a side note - you have to wait for your pets corpse to disapear (is it 5 mins on corpse?) before you can rez it.

Thunderz

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, don't bring tangible pets (e.g., swampies) to Chief Paroxysms. As Gorbs’ message alludes to, when Paroxy eats mounts/summons, he is healed to full health. In most cases, I recommend a swampy. For Paroxy, use an ethy/charger or nothing at all.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, don't bring tangible pets (e.g., swampies) to Chief Paroxysms. As Gorbs’ message alludes to, when Paroxy eats mounts/summons, he is healed to full health. In most cases, I recommend a swampy. For Paroxy, use an ethy/charger or nothing at all.
When I did Paroxy on my Sampire, I used to go in mounted on my Swampy. I have also made it a habit to "Insta-logout" upon death. It was from doing all the spawns. Paroxy never ate my swampy, and it almost never dies at spawns. You have to be fast though, one hit from Paroxy............

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome, thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like an armored swampy is the way to go for defense while a lesser hiryu is the way to go for offense. Either way, keeping my charger as a backup.

Thanks!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Sounds like a plan.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd recommend the Paroxysmus swamp dragon if you can get it just to avoid the hassle of getting barding deeds all the time. They wore out way too fast for me.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd recommend the Paroxysmus swamp dragon if you can get it just to avoid the hassle of getting barding deeds all the time. They wore out way too fast for me.
I'd have to agree.. I don't currently use paroxy dragon but I had a rather large stockpile of ingots so I made a bunch of deeds. I farmed quite a bit of ingots from controlling faction towns. I think once I run out I'll switch to paroxy.

D

Death Adder

For PvP the Hellsteed is by far the best mount for a necromancer!!!

It is tough with many HP and good resists (with a couple of minor holes), and will give a good fight if attacked with its poison breath and good melee damage.

It will not be attacked by monsters, nor will it initiate attack on any monsters or players.

When Dismounted it always and quickly follows you, unless attacked by another player.

You can always mount it immediately with no failures, even if it is in combat.

When it dies there's no ghost (since it isn't bonded) and therefore you free up the control slot for a summoned mount.

O

Old Man of UO

For PvP the Hellsteed is by far the best mount for a necromancer!!!
For some reason I thought that the Hellsteed had a limited lifetime; is that not true? Also, does your SS skill affect the strength?

D

Death Adder

For some reason I thought that the Hellsteed had a limited lifetime; is that not true? Also, does your SS skill affect the strength?
Once you switch servers it stops decaying, so I just kill the one at Covetous and once I leave the dungeon it lasts until I log out again. Not sure about the SS, I believe you need a certain amount to qualify for the Hellsteed, otherwise you get the Skeletal Steed.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gone through the process of 3Xgming my swampie for my sampire and the same for my main faction warhorse.