• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Money Making Techniques

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just as in real life, you need money to make money. But as a starter you can copy the gold farmers. Go to Trog caves with a self repair suit, soul seeker and bash away, easy escape to recal out for bank drops.

If you not quite that broke yet, id suggest investments. Buy somthing that will increase in value etc.

Good luck

Z

zolo8

Easy.

Do IDOC's on any shard that the Ping is ok.

You can make millions from one IDOC. You can kill monsters and make money while you are waiting for the house to drop.

F

Fink

as a starter you can copy the gold farmers.
I was hunting the painted caves long before gold farmers turned up :p I first heard about it from Shane so it wasn't even a new idea when I first started.

Also be advised that not everyone who hunts there is a scripter.. a certain green beer lured on me twice today in tram, which sucks because I'm barely about to kill Lurg let alone Lurg AND Grobu.

D

DVI

Idocs & vendors.

I don't personally do idocs but I have many friends who do, as for vendors they're an excellent source of income, but as was pointed out by another poster they do require some financial resources to get started.

M

Misminer

I do vendors, ore, lumber, gems, petals 7 thorns all sell well. It takes a little gold and a lot of time, but well worth it. And it helps the community and other players. Good Luck and Play on

B

Barry Trotter

I've answered the question before but all I got was hate in return. If any other new player wants to know the answer in the future, they'll have to ask the question again!

F

Fink

what is an IDOC?
A house "In Danger Of Collapse", the final phase of house decay. Some properties, for various reasons, will decay and collapse. When one does, the plot it occupied is now vacant but all the decorations and stored items within the house simply drop to the ground. Then it's basically a free-for-all grab for the leftover goodies. Once you know what you're doing, it's free money.

K

Katlene

Theres a good 11+ odd mill right there!!
No ones keeping you in the dark about anything. We all know how much GP is needed to get by.
IDOCS are not hard they are tonnes of fun & killing monsters is great! Awesome after a bad day.
Buying pixel gold with real money is just LAZY.
Everyone started at nothing. Heck when i first started playing UO i used to hit the farms & pick veges, shear sheep mundane lil stuff like that. But thats when my main char was SUPER new.
If you have a built up char with armor etc then hitting the monsters isnt a bad idea, dragons if you can manage it, also collect the gems sell those to a jeweller and you can get quite a bit of money.
Like fink mentioned, the lurg are a good critters for money.
Not having a BOS sucks phenomenally but if your going for them melee style ride a blue bug in and stash your gp in there = less bank trips
Its not that hard. i made my first mill killing blood eles in ilsh and got loads of martys at the same time. Balrons are also super fun!

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i never thought of bashing those blood eles in ilsh.. hmm i know what iam doing when i get home now :)

yeah only problem with that 120 mage is i could use it on 3 chars, but on the other hand i could use the cash, so im stuck between a rock and a hard place :(

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll agree in principle with Jahira-Tor's comment about buying something that will increase in value, but this will take capital and time, and could be fraught with risk.............

Camping IDOCs is a very messy business and you need to be extremely competitive. I put it in the "too hard" basket myself.

Vendors take too much effort. This also gets put into the "too hard" basket.

I hesitate to mention the distasteful topic of killing monsters. I have not killed any monsters for at least 5 years.............

No, my dear friend, when you need a lot of gold in a quick hurry, the best course of action would be to buy some from a reputable seller. You will find some in the various Stratics Trade forums. If in doubt, PM me for recommendations.

Hope this helps,
Barry Trotter
So your idea of playing UO is buy gold off a seller, 85% of whom I would estimate gained their gold by illegal scripting, duping or other nefarious deeds, given the sums involved that are available to be 'purchased'. Sit in Luna and do what???.

You don't fight monsters, you think IDOC's and running vendors are "too hard" and you need gold to start a merchant empire to start with. Basically you eliminate all aspects of UO game play and encourage someone to just 'buy' their game. Yet start your post saying others are not helpful.

Telling someone who doesn't know how to make gold to just 'buy' it is the least helpful suggestion of them all. It does not teach the player how to be self sufficient, it does not assist them to gain skills enabling them to progress to where they can make gold easily with well developed characters, it does not assist them in learning anything about UO.

Anyone who wants to can make at least 200-500k a day fighting those critters put into the game to actually 'fight'. Place 1 vendor for selling loot at your house. Yes you need a skilled character, so dependent on the players skills I would recommend the OP go for mobs that are high in gold/loot, pose the least risk for their skill level, have loot that 'sells' well and be in a recall area to assist in banking. So from lowest to highest skill requirements dependent on the OP's level :

Despise: ettins/earth eles/lizardmen, loot everything gold, gems, leather, chance for virtue arti, sell gems to an npc and leather to players, sell or trade in arti if gained. Good skill gains.

Solon Tunnels near Wind: Kill solon, loot gold, gems, zoogi, sell gems, convert the zoogi to powder or sell zoogi. Good skill gains.

Serpentine Dragon area Ilshenar: take packy, kill centaurs, loot gold, arrows, leather, chance for mini arti off para centaurs, sell arrows and leather to players, sell or trade in marti if gained.

Doom: Dark Guardians: loot gold, tmaps, demon bones, take a packy and sit it in room outside spawn area to unload bones into between spawn. ATM can hand in tmaps for points, sell item you pick as reward, or sell tmaps off vendor when event has finished or trade to librarian for reward points, if capable convert demon bones to gold skulls, sell to players at 150-200k per, if not sell demon bones off vendor in lots of 200 (for weight)

Tokuno: kill lesser Hiryus, loot leather, gold

Ilshenar: swoop, take packy or beetle, position in lower corner out of the way of any spawn that maybe dragged down, loot feathers, gold, items, sell feathers to players, gold is great, chance for mini arti, sell if obtained or trade for points.

Or go with Barry's suggestion, buy gold, kit yourself out in the 'l33test' stuff and sit in Luna, you still won't be able to fight anything as is doesn't matter how 'l33t' your stuff is you will still die over and over if you never learn to use it. Unless of course you just want to 'buy' gold once you spend the first lot and do this over and over. Gee you could be a billionaire in a week and sit and count your mil checks in the bank. However, consider this: fun factor = 0, skill gain = 0, uo knowledge gain = 0, personal satisfaction of earning rewards = 0. Way to go Barry....... NOT

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or go with Barry's suggestion, buy gold, kit yourself out in the 'l33test' stuff and sit in Luna, you still won't be able to fight anything as is doesn't matter how 'l33t' your stuff is you will still die over and over if you never learn to use it. Unless of course you just want to 'buy' gold once you spend the first lot and do this over and over. Gee you could be a billionaire in a week and sit and count your mil checks in the bank. However, consider this: fun factor = 0, skill gain = 0, uo knowledge gain = 0, personal satisfaction of earning rewards = 0. Way to go Barry....... NOT
the thought never crossed my mind, i dont see the point of buying uo gold and as you said 90+% of it is illegal scripting which i despise. i am frequently killing those 2 in the painted caves and luring the fan dancers away form the one at the dojo.

Thank you for your help anyway. got some ideas now

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL wasn't suggesting you were going with that idea, was more about dripping sarcasm at the helpful Barry trying to flog I suspect his gold.

B

Barry Trotter

I've answered the question before, but only got hate in return. If any other new player wants to know the answer in the future, they'll have to ask the question again!

K

Katlene

the thought never crossed my mind, i dont see the point of buying uo gold
think you missed something there barry.
Also doing what you suggested with the chars is ridiculous. get more bang for your buck killing something on home shard with out all that useless hassle!!

B

Barry Trotter

I've answered the question before, but all I got was hate in return. If any other new player wants to know the answer in the future, they'll have to ask the question again!

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this bloodthirty talk about killing things! The only killing I want to make is on the market.

I expected more mature behaviour from some of the veterans on this shard. Advising our newer players to kill wild creatures is so 19th century.

First, you'll kill wild creatures, then you'll kill "monsters". Then, you'll kill each other. After you've developed a taste for blood, you'll find yourself supporting the gun lobby and the death sentence. Finally, you'll be planning your first whale-eating trip overseas.

This can all stop if we don't play UO as a violent game. There is absolutely no need for it!
thats the idea of the game is it not?

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OP - don't listen to them...quickest and easiest way to get a LOT of gold is to buy it.

But, I understand if you want to be a purist and just utilize in-game mechanics. In this case, I suggest that you create new chars on every single character slot on every shard out there, place all the gold you get on each shard onto the one character, delete the other characters, create more characters, give all THEIR gold onto your gold-holding character on that shard, etc, etc. Repeat this on every single shard.

If you intend to play only on Oceania, you can eventually either x-shard all the gold from all the other shards onto this one, or you can find a reputable UO broker and they will accept your gold on the other shards and give you gold on Oceania in exchange. If you have difficulty on deciding who is a reputable UO broker, you can PM me for some recommendations.
This would be time consuming, not profitable at all... how many characters would you have to make on each server to get a xfer token? also this is useless even on oceania, i dont have the gold for the xfer tokens

B

Barry Trotter

I've answered the question before, but only got hate in return. If any other new player wants to know the answer in the future, they'll have to ask the question again!

K

Katlene

given A answer not THE answer. Everyone had their own styles.
Just alot of people dont see the sense in paying for pixels for pixels that you already pay to play.
Killing stuff, getting their loot then selling it is the easiest and most basic way to get your foot in the door money wise. The way you are coming across barry is that yours is the only way to do things and anyone elses version is trash. once upon a time those sort of dealings were not possible and i think it still should be that way.

B

Barry Trotter

I've answered the question before, but all I got was hate in return. If any other new player wants to know the answer in the future, they'll have to ask the question again!

B

Barry Trotter

...once upon a time those sort of dealings were not possible...
It has always been possible to broker your gold from one shard to another. You do not need to actually use a x-shard transfer token. Using a x-shard transfer token just means that you do not need to rely on another player. But, there are at least 3 people out there whom I would not hesitate to trust to broker 2B in gold across various shards. If you work out all the x-shard transfer tokens you need to buy to move all of those 1M checks from one shard to another, brokerage can actually work out cheaper, and is indisputably a LOT more convenient!

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has always been possible to broker your gold from one shard to another. You do not need to actually use a x-shard transfer token. Using a x-shard transfer token just means that you do not need to rely on another player. But, there are at least 3 people out there whom I would not hesitate to trust to broker 2B in gold across various shards. If you work out all the x-shard transfer tokens you need to buy to move all those 1M checks from one shard to another, brokerage can actually work out cheaper!
Still a time consuming and less productive way of earning gold. 1k per char, 6 chars per week, 6 cahrs per shard, so thats 6k per week x however many shards(not including siege rule set shards). not really worth the hassle in my opinion. although yes it is a way of earning gold, but in my eyes not as productive as bashing monsters or fun

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barry Trotter;74948 I suggest that you create new chars on every single character slot on every shard out there said:
Oh... my... god...

Ive been wasting my life. I should have been spening 5 hours a day doing this, every day.... /sarcasim

B

Barry Trotter

OP - Gold on siege is worth a lot more than gold on production shards, but you can forget I told you that, because we'll keep you popular on this shard. *wink wink*

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand where your coming from barry, but i play this game for fun, and creating/deleteing chars all day long dont sound to fun to me, i would rather get a few guildies together and go bash the dark father or a peerless or something.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyway lets quit the bickering about barrys technique he has explain.

i'd also like to extend a thanks to everyone who has offered some help. thank you. and if u think of something that hasnt been metioned previously please post it here :)

A

Azureal

I gotta admit, Fishing is paying off for me a lot lately.

I did 15 MiBs last night. Got about 70 turn in items (@ 250points per), 4 normal nets, 44k in gold from the chests, around 30-40k from selling the gems/scrolls/regs, and smelted all the other crap into ingots. Kept 3-4 decent armor pieces and a couple weps (a nice spell channelling, mage weapon bow) and tossed the rest. Oh and a 2 white pearls.

If you happen to have a GM fisher, spend some time out on the big blue, fishing up mibs. Skin the serpents of hide and scale. Use UOA to drop all the fish at your feet and then turn the steaks from those in for library points later on.

N

nushpapa

Want a good way to make money... make a mage with 70%+ lrc and go do strongboxes...
dun havea mage? script a character with magery,eval,med,wrestling,peace and music... think i had one more skill but meh... and just go nuts [need demon/repong slayer book]
the items u get from this u can easily sell... or quite often... as long as u manage to enhance...
If u dun have a gm carpenter etc.. easy just script it lol... seeing i have seen ur name on pvp thread i presume u play to pvp, not to grind away for hours.

I admit i scripted when i played i sat at dungeons collecting millions of gold.... often disturbed by TC but lol who cares... i restarted uo to pvp not to sit around and make chairs or tables. My stance of scripting... other are scripting, you might as well join in... its ur loss u get 2-3 chances b4 ur account is perma banned.. use the warnings up haaha... My form of scripting demons doesn't work anyway sure if u look hard enough u'll find a way with the changes to the BOS system.... FYI no i didn;t use tat easyuo medic thing when i pvped scripting was for money,crafting etc....

Also strong boxes is also the 3rd best source of high level 4-5 property weapons... enhanes maybe even 6. 1st is i believe runic hammers 2nd r high luck peerless. They areal also one of the only sources of HCI armour... yes armour can have HCI, enhance wooden armour with heartwood and u have a 5% i beliebe chance of 5 HCi and 5% chance of 10DI.... thats how i made suits with maxed hci,dci yet still had rediculously good resists + mr + lmc.... very lucky u might get mage armour stats too... imaging that **** lol. I'd say my best piece of hci armour could have sold for 20-30 mill easy. 5HCI 2MC 6LMC with i believe around 80 resists.

Some of the items i had i could have xsharded away and sell for 8-10 mill.. UNENHANCED(yes i was offered 10 mil for some items i.e: Heavy xbow HCI high 10s Lighting 40s SSI 25 DI 40s HLD (forgot))... if i wanted to sure u might have to sell some items cheap on ocieana but once umake 10-12 mill... xshared like 20 items away come back with 200 mill. yes u have to spend a LONG time down there but good luck egtting better items unless ur opk(former opk.. the PRO OPK who could solo peerless')

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Wags finger* Nauty Nushie Nauty! Dont teach the pook innocent kiddies how to get their account banned, you gotta be an excperianced scripter to know how to get away with it...:stir:

*shhhhh* Jks

A

Azureal

Apart from the whole scripting thing (call me old fashioned, I just prefer to get my skills the way it was designed to happen) the strongboxes idea is intriguing, except I have no idea where they are/what they are...

Someone mind enlightening me? I had wondered where a lot of the high level armor and weapons comes from.

L

LadyArden

Strongboxes are from certain heartwood quests, and if you do them over and over, can get something with insane loot. I believe the minotaur quest is one such with best loot for least effort, tho it's still pretty involved.

S

Sneaky

Strongboxes are from certain heartwood quests, and if you do them over and over, can get something with insane loot. I believe the minotaur quest is one such with best loot for least effort, tho it's still pretty involved.
Like most quests in UO (or any MMO for that matter) the strongbox quests are an exercise in tedium, but if you can handle that you will end up getting some decent-quite good (possibly awesome) gear.

A

Azureal

Cheers folks.

I notice our scripting friend also mentions them to be the "3rd" best way to get high end stuff...anyone feel like sharing what the top two are, in your own opinions...of course.

Im not likely to start doing peerless or Doom runs (neither the time, inclination or guild backing) so if its something a "classic" bard can handle, lemme know.

A

Azureal

Having read through the description of most of the strongbox quests it would seem Im going to have to either create a new character, completely reowrk my current ones or simply forget it. Heh, half the places Ive never even heard of, let alone been to, and if the comments on uoguide are anything to go by, these arent places I should go to by myself anyway.

S

Sneaky

Having read through the description of most of the strongbox quests it would seem Im going to have to either create a new character, completely reowrk my current ones or simply forget it. Heh, half the places Ive never even heard of, let alone been to, and if the comments on uoguide are anything to go by, these arent places I should go to by myself anyway.
It greatly depends on the individual quest, anyhow just go in and have a go at some of em, if you die you die. The one you get from the sanctuary (cant remember name or npc, but its down the back) i know is solo-able (on my dexer), others i'm not sure as I haven't done them.

A

Azureal

It greatly depends on the individual quest, anyhow just go in and have a go at some of em, if you die you die. The one you get from the sanctuary (cant remember name or npc, but its down the back) i know is solo-able (on my dexer), others i'm not sure as I haven't done them.
Yeah. If nothing else I guess I'll see a few sights.

I walked into the Fan Dancer dojo, and Yomatsu mines the other day, got about 10 foot inside the entrance, got bored and left. Which is strange, considering Ive done the collector quest about 20 times.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i find the santuary strongbox quests enjoyable and its quite easy with a dexer and a demon slayer.

hardest part is dodging through the debris and finding the right tile to exit areas

N

nushpapa

Lol for the person who said i meantioned it was 3rd best... Solo peerless with 1000+ luck i believe is 2nd best and valorite/barbed kits etc r top...

And com'n any decent pvper would script at least to make characters... i'd say no tc(not saying they all r good but some were or at least better then some of the old opk players) or better player would do it manually... to be honest...if u r making ur character manually and call urself a pvper... u r utterly **** and might as well go bak to killing boars.

u thik im really gonna spend hours and hours gming poison... or even to 80 manually... plz... i wanna see sunlight... sitting at home for hrs and hrs when u can do it with a program and havea 99.9% chance of not getting caught is well pretty ******** lol.