• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Best 1 handed pvp swords weapon?

• Thread starter Lord Roland Banethor
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lord Roland Banethor

I'm working on crafting and imbuing a pvp suit for my pally. I just returned to UO a few months ago, so it's been years since I did any pvp (around the release of Age of Shadows). I know a lot has changed, and there are some new weapons.

I know the radiant scimitar varieties are great for pvm. Was just wondering what a good one-handed pvp sword is, so I can go ahead and start on the imbuing process for one. If it helps..

120 swords
100 tactics (120 with jewels)
100 healing
100 anatomy (120 with jewels, might change that though)
100 parry
100 resist
100 chivalry (might lower it some, not sure yet).

I'm over gm imbuing on one of my crafter's, and working towards LG with him, so I'll be able to make some pretty good stuff. My main question is what style of one-handed swords weapon you'd recommend.. but any opinions on magic qualities are more than welcome:)

S

Stupid Miner

Best? that depends on the situation, the best is a variety.
---------------
Swords:
Bone Harvester: Para Blow, Mortal Strike. (Hit lightning and Hit harm wont break the Para)

Cutlass: Bleed Attack. If you really don't want to get a UBWS-alternate.

Broad Sword: pretty good damage/speed /w AI.
Katana: if you want a weaker, faster AI weapon.

Pickaxe: Disarm, Double Strike compliment each other nicely.

If you don't mind UBWS weapons:
War Axe: AI, Bleed. Better alternative than the Sword's AI and Bleed weapons.

War fork: Disarm, Bleed

Leafblade: AI, Feint. Good damage/speed. Feint reduces damage received by 50% for... a few seconds. 4-6 maybe?

Hammer Pick: AI, Mortal. Slow, never used one personally.
-------------

Seems to me, Swordsmanship's best PvP weapons are 2-handed.

Anyway, might ask some of the more experienced PvPers.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When looking for your PvP weapon, you want specials which do one of four things.
1. Stop them from healing. This could be bleed, infectious strike or mortal strike. Note: mortal strike can be countered by apples and infectious strike will be countered by cure potions.

2. Stop them from running away. This special is either paralyze blow or nerve strike (if you have bushido, you can use it). Note: a trapped box can counter paralyze blows.

3. Do a lot of burst damage. The best one here is armor ignore, but you get good bursts from nerve strike and crushing blow as well. Think about using a two handed weapon (ornate axe) for the burst damage.

4. Interrupting spells. This goes back to infectious strike, bleed and hit fireball.

My favorite swords weapon are:
Hatchet with hit fireball: armor ignore, disarm, potential for interruption
Bokuto: burst damage, nerve strike, one handed
Executioner's axe with hit fireball: bleed, mortal strike, potential for interruption

And a final note: I don't carry a dismount weapon, but you should (my swordsman is strictly RP-PvP, so nobody I fight is mounted. My archer or my ninja are my Fel-fighters).

S

Stupid Miner

When looking for your PvP weapon, you want specials which do one of four things.
1. Stop them from healing. This could be bleed, infectious strike or mortal strike. Note: mortal strike can be countered by apples and infectious strike will be countered by cure potions.

2. Stop them from running away. This special is either paralyze blow or nerve strike (if you have bushido, you can use it). Note: a trapped box can counter paralyze blows.

3. Do a lot of burst damage. The best one here is armor ignore, but you get good bursts from nerve strike and crushing blow as well. Think about using a two handed weapon (ornate axe) for the burst damage.

4. Interrupting spells. This goes back to infectious strike, bleed and hit fireball.

Executioner's axe with hit fireball: bleed, mortal strike, potential for interruption

And a final note: I don't carry a dismount weapon, but you should (my swordsman is strictly RP-PvP, so nobody I fight is mounted. My archer or my ninja are my Fel-fighters).
Ah, so are Bokuto paralyzes not broken by trap boxes?

Also, what advantage is there to using dismount weapons as opposed to bolas... just the fact that you're not disarmed? I tend to find myself running around slowly like an idiot, trying to get to the mounted players to dismount them.

And does Crushing Blow count as DI to the item cap or not?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, they can be countered by extra damage (i.e. the damned box), but that wasn't always the case. But that's why fireball isn't a good hit-spell for a bokuto.

And crushing blow does extra damage of the same type as your weapon, so hits of more than 35 damage are possible.

S

Stupid Miner

Actually, they can be countered by extra damage (i.e. the damned box), but that wasn't always the case. But that's why fireball isn't a good hit-spell for a bokuto.

And crushing blow does extra damage of the same type as your weapon, so hits of more than 35 damage are possible.
Yea, FB seems to be the best choice of hit spell for general weapons, except for paralyzing weapons which need hit lightning (or harm if you're cheap)

So... 50% extra damage in the damage type of our weapon that isn't limited by the 100% DI item cap? :D

L

Lord Roland Banethor

Excellent, this is helping a lot, thanks. Also, as far as armor.. I know DCI is capped at 45%. Stratics says Reflect Physical Damage is capped at 105%. Is this correct.. and is it only the physical "element" of damage, or is it damage from any weapon? What about bows?

S

Stupid Miner

Excellent, this is helping a lot, thanks. Also, as far as armor.. I know DCI is capped at 45%. Stratics says Reflect Physical Damage is capped at 105%. Is this correct.. and is it only the physical "element" of damage, or is it damage from any weapon? What about bows?
RPD reflects the item property % of the *physical* damage back, on every hit. Untested the effect over 100%. Untested against bows, but it *should* work.

Note: Direct damage does not count as physical damage, so AI, and Critical strikes aren't reflected.

As for the cap? Can't say, it might be a soft cap. 7 items with RPD *15%= 105%
... which doesn't account for items with over 15% RPD.

Only way to know is to hop on TC.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Great Post!

Though for the dismount weapon, i suggest carrying a bardiche. Its specials are paralyze and dismount. If you time it right u can para the target, dismount yourself then dismount them. Quite easy to do with a UOAssist macro.

S

Stupid Miner

Great Post!

Though for the dismount weapon, i suggest carrying a bardiche. Its specials are paralyze and dismount. If you time it right u can para the target, dismount yourself then dismount them. Quite easy to do with a UOAssist macro.
What about the reverse? Can you dismount them, para them, then remount yourself?