• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Been gone Back now best pet?

DarknessDemona

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been gone for a bit. What is the best Tamer pet to take on the new stuff. ? Any help would be appreciated!

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well greater dragon is the best all rounder that everyone uses mostly, it takes 5 slots so you have to run on foot with it. But it tanks almost anything and has best shot of staying alive against bosses whilst still dishing out a fair amount of damage. Or there is the newer 5 slot dragon turtle which I haven't used myself so dunno how it compares to a greater dragon. If there is another tamer present tanking with a greater dragon then you could do what I do and use a 2 pet combo which I do for nearly all EM events. I personally love my bane dragon and tiger or bake kitsune combo but bane dragons havent spawned in years and may be hard to get or expensive.

I said when I returned to UO This time around that I wouldnt use the same pets all the time like I used to so I've been having fun trying out all sorts of combo's. One combo ive been testing lately which I am really impressed by the damage output in some circumstances is a Tiger/Lesser hiyru combo. The tiger does a special move that makes target more susceptible to physical attacks and he does bleed. The lesser hiryu lowers targets physical resist and does double strike once it has done this. Both have quite high base damage anyway and both do 100% physical damage. Then you throw in taming mastery and it is actually quite an efficient killing combo. Only problem is that they have no ranged attack or way of curing themselves so gotta keep them healed. They both have decent health and resists tho so they are quite tanky.

Ive just tamed a Rune beetle too because next Im going to try a Rune/Tiger combo as a Rune beetle's corrupt armour special allows it to be one of, if not the best dmg dealing pet in game.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Gotta agree with Escaflowne. Although, I have hunted with the Dragon Turtle quite a bit here lately and I like the way they stack up. Like the tiger and Cu they also have a bleed attack. Had one take a paragon Greater Dragon easily with the Animal Taming Mastery 3 he is talking about. I am hoping the Turtles will catch on so folks can see at EM events and not have to get humped by GD's all the time...

I have also been experimenting with the tigers. Right now I am running with 2 tigers some and they seem to be doing ok but are still in the training mode. I do like his idea of tossing a Rune Beetle in the mix with them.

With you returning I would snag a GD or Drag Turtle just for the ease of fights until you get your personal skills back that is :)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
. I am hoping the Turtles will catch on so folks can see at EM events and not have to get humped by GD's all the time...
Not gonna happen in the next 10 or so years given the huge difference in how often you can get an egg vs farming GDs. The turtles are pretty much copies of GDs with a different visual. But good luck getting something like a 4+.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Disco/tamer running level 3 consume damage with a tiger/rune beetle combo.

Get a max hit point tiger (around 450) with high physical resist (70+) as your primary pet and use the mastery on it. The tiger will tank better than the beetle in most cases.

Between the tiger special physical resist reduction, bleed, armor corruption, deadly poison and being discorded, this dishes out a ton of damage and can tank against most non-peerless level mobs in game.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not gonna happen in the next 10 or so years given the huge difference in how often you can get an egg vs farming GDs. The turtles are pretty much copies of GDs with a different visual. But good luck getting something like a 4+.
Very good point. From what I hear the egg drop is every Turtle Fel side (have not tested that rumor personally) but people running those spawns will tail off (especially Tram side) and the egg supply will dwindle to a crawl.

It does take a while to get anything 4+ for sure. Have only gotten two of them so far out of probably close to 40 eggs if not more...

DarknessDemona

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah very well friends. I will take you guys ideas. I haven't got the luck to get any of those cool hatchlings. So I will have to stick with my GD and maybe play with some combo's!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ah... sorry. Am on Atlantic. Would have given you one to play around with if you were here.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't tried the new pets from Eodon yet so outside from GD and cu's my favorite is my beetle/mare or beetle/bake combo, best DPS combo I have at my disposal.
Have to grab a tiger to see how it compares.

Also with peace the beetle/other combo can stand it's own with the beetle tanking even without masteries as long as you can have the mob peaced some and vet/heal a bit.