• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Basic computer maintenance

U

UOKaiser

Well this week we will cover Basic-advance techniques on how to keep your UO power game system and worldly knowledge encyclopedia running smooth

We Shall start with the Basic

We all know after some time our pc will run slow on everything it does. This is from all the installing and uninstalling of files. Registry Entries and dll's left behind from a forgottent time. Badly Uninstalled items and a fragmented harddrive. Well lets begin clearing that up shall we.
Procedures below are for windows xp systems in cvassic view though easily able to find your way thorugh other window systems to locate the same tools.

Basic
Follow items in order.

Uninstalling unused programs
1) Start-control panel-Add or Remove programs
2) Go through the list and find programs you never use or suspicious programs that should of never installed in the first place.
3)Remove them it will go through the unistallation procedure.
Reboot

Clean temporaly files
1)Start-Programs-Accessories-System tools-Disk cleanup
2)Pick drive
3) Remove the ones which accumulated "Do not remove compress old files unless you know which files those are"
Reboot

Startup programs
When your system starts it loads a any programs set to start up. this will take up memory and resources.
1)Start-Run- type in MSCONFIG press enter or ok
2)Startup tab
3)Uncheck everything you don't want starting up. Personanly I uncheck all of them if I want it to start up I will start the program. Even so some programs automaticaly write themselves back when you start them up very annoying.
In General the option will automaticaly change to selected startup this is expected.
Reboot

Disk Defragmation
As files get deleted and added it get placed on what ever free space it can find making it harder to read by the system. This allows the parts of the files to be placed next to each other speeding up your system "Removing the fragmentation"

1)Start-Programs-Accessories-System tools-Disk Defragmation
2)Highlight Drive click defragment. Analyze just checks how fragmented the drive is before actualy doing anything.
Reboot

When it is running make sure all programs are closed and you dont do nothing with the system. This will take a while so go get some air.

Alternatively typing defrag c: -b in the run tab will allow it to defrag applications and Boot file. Not sure how well it works as I have not used this command before might need to go to the command promp for it. Change c: to whichever drive you want.

If you don't have it already you may have you're pc automaticaly start by schduling it in Start-Programs-Accessories-System tools-Schedule Task.

These Steps should be done once a week. You can wait a month but I dont reccommend that long for some of them.

Sorry no screen shots it's tough to get it right with Dual screens

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: (Tip 4) Computer Maintenance -Basic

Not a technical/software maintenance tip, but good practice none the less.

Get some canned air from the store.
Take your computer outside, remove the main panel, and blow the dust out. This will let your computer dissipate heat better and keep the parts running longer.

Stayin Alive,

BG

B

Beer_Cayse

Something from way back in early Win-Doze days - keep stuff on the desktop to a minimum - especially files. Large amounts of items on the desktop can impact performance.

Being a neat-freak for the desktop, I make sure only icons/shortcuts are there - not files. Many people will download the latest <insert desc here> to the desktop and use/install it from there - never removing it. Loading 'x'MB slows the system bootup down.

Download files to a special folder on your hard drive. Use an AV product to scan that folder only. If you must reference it on the desktop, make a shortcut to the folder. This will keep those large files from you desktop.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Not a technical/software maintenance tip, but good practice none the less.

Get some canned air from the store.
Take your computer outside, remove the main panel, and blow the dust out. This will let your computer dissipate heat better and keep the parts running longer.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Due to having asthma, and allergies I wont take a chance on using anything I might breath it. What I do is unplug the computer take the panels off sit in the floor with q tips losen the dust around the fans. get the vacuum cleaner and use the hose to suck up all the dust, and cobwebs.
I do the same thing with the keyboard use the vacuum on it to get all that crude out of it.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Be careful with a vacuum around electronics. Most vacuums generate static electricity and can zap components. To prevent this, dont work on carpet, and turn the vacuum on, hold the nozzle in your hand, and touch something large and metal.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Michelle, as a fellow asthma/allergy sufferer I can relate to your worries, but using canned air to clean out dust from inside your case is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you do it outside though. You do it inside and you're going to be sucking that dust right back in when you breathe. A few times a year I do a good cleaning of the dust inside the case. I take it out on the porch and open the case and blow everything out. Helps cut down on dust in the computer room too. It's surprising how much crap those fans blow out into the room.