• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Basic Beginner PvP Mage Build

S

srob888

Hey all,

New to UO... I've rolled a mage and want to eventually PvP with him...

I'd like to get some feedback from the community regarding a simple build to start with. I've been reading the forums for the last week or so but it seems like there is a lot of info to cover.

As I said, I'd like to get into the PvP aspect of the game but I'm looking for an easy transistion. A build that's more simple to play than some of the more complex play styles.

Is there such a thing? Are they all easy and I'm just making it a bigger deal than it is?

Is mage a good / enjoyable class to start out with for PvP?.. I'm a big fan of mage play but I'm open to trying something else if it would be better for a beginner like myself.

Thanks in advance!

V

Vaneca

Mage is always a good choice for pvp. However it might not be that enjoyable if you are just starting to pvp. Simply because some dexxers/archers/throwers hit you very hard and very often.

However you have to decide what kind of mage you want to be.
You can always get suggestions on good/strong templates, but you need to feel comfortable playing it.
The strongest template gets useless if you cant enjoy it or dont feel comfortable playing it.

With the recent changes to Spell Damage Increase some of the somewhat "simpler" templates got a boos again, however with the increased apple timer the "classic" templates are not weaker.

Just take your basics
Magery
Eval
Resist

and fit in whatever you like to have in addition.
Scribe, Poison, Anatomy/Healing, Wrestling, Parry, Spellweaving, Mystic/Focus, Necro/Spirit, Wepskill/Tac, Meditation, or even Hiding/Ninjitsu if you like to have it.

Just try the skills, fool around with em and see what you like.
Bear in mind that a pure mage can have up to 30 SDI (40 with Inscribe).

Armorwise you dont need to have the most amazing stuff.
Just make sure you get the basics together.
100 LRC, 40 LMC, 25 HPI, ~70 DCI and 15-30 SDI depending on the template.

It might be a good idea to just spar with a friend or guildmate before you take your char out first time.

All thats left then is to wish you alot of fun pvping. :thumbup:

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play almost nothing but mages and do almost nothing but pvp, my advise would be to learn to pvp on a dexxer. Mages are awesome no doubt about it, but the sheer number of options often leaves new pvpers feeling overwhelmed and mages have lower defense resulting in faster deaths. A dexxer is good for a beginner because it can survive longer against those mistakes, and provides a better overall defense/offense ratio while keeping it simple. My strongest dexxer hits 4-5 buttons but is a beast. Complex is fun but often is harder for a beginer. I would never say do not play a mage, UO's mage system is incredible I love it and I think everyone should have to play a mage. But realistically if you want to get your feet wet the best way is to play a dexxer in my opinion.

A key part of playing a mage that takes a lot of people a long time to master is the macro set up. A magery book has 64 spells, more then half of which are useful in any given pvp situation. That alone is enough buttons to make your head spin. If you have the luxury of being on a server that offers a lot of chances at 1 v 1 mage duels, then you could probably learn a mage quickly and pick up a lot of tips from people who have been doing it for years. Otherwise.. well you may end up very frustrated.

Bottom line tho.. play what you enjoy because it's about having fun.

Good luck