• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard Mastery

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok here's a short workup for modifications to the mastery system that are in consideration, pending how well they play together and what the possible implications may be.

So some may not make it at all, some may change slightly etc. usual disclaimer about guarantees and product returns.

In no particular order

All Abilities: No longer interrupted by any bard skills.

The non-directed/non-focused/aoe/passive abilities, which is pretty much anything except despair. Though this may go for tribulation as well (pending some testing)
Would not be interrupted by the bard casting spells.
(I guess nobody on test ran a stoneform preservance bard. That was fun)

Despair/Tribulation
Slight lowering of the damage from despair/Tribulation in PvP, and raising of the damage in PvM. (Possibly factoring in Resist Spells of target)
(Possibly also awarding bonus damage for bard also having provoke/peacemaking , so that high damage still very possible for Bards investing alot of skill points.)

AOE Party Effects:
Allowing bard to run multiple spellsongs at the same time.
(May be interesting to stack Despair and tribulation but for now not being considered)

All Abilities:
Lower mana cost for casting and upkeep if the bard has multiple bard skills.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should be every 2 seconds.

For full sustainment, You'd need just about 3 mana regened per second at 40 LMC.

Probably best to go about with higher int, and meditation rather than the really high MR on suit. I think Phoenix posted the MR formula up a while back but that was a pretty ugly thing.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I was on test on friday and created a disco warrior template. I spent about 1 hour doing alot of killing with this template before people started to improve upon it adding bushido and a few other variations. I think spent a couple of hours fighting against that template with different configurations. The possible templates were way too powerful for the skill investment PvP wise.

Hence bard changes post.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the despair damage changes went in to origin (but not Test). The others should hopefully start showing up on Test Center after I finish redoing the subsystems so that they can support the changes, and also pass internal QA.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despair: Damage Takes place after the first pulse. The strength reduction takes place on casting.

Re: proposed changes stated in OP.
Working on getting all those changes coded so we can get them on TC to see how they balance out.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damage output is currently 36 in PvP/72 PvM
which is a decrease PvP and increase in PvM

Thats still not final. There's some other stuff going through QA to see how high I can bump the damage before it starts to be problematic in PvP.

Currently in PvP Damage output is just between fireball and lightning, which is kind of expensive mana wise but since this wont be interrupted by spell casting it would be allowing significant damage out put potential so I'm not entirely sure that it is that weak. The initial mana investment also immediately does the strength debuff which is quite significant and by side effect lowers max HP. (Not to mention if you are lucky enough to cause somone to have armour un-equip because they fall below the strength requirement)

Also with the current damage output which I'm still tweaking I'm getting sustained times on despair approaching 36-40 seconds, which is 18-20 ticks.
At a guaranteed rate that pushes their damage output to exceeded mages in dps and significantly less mana cost, only requiring investment in initial cast time and upkeep.

So for balancing options may have to cause damage dealt by the bard or spells cast by the bard to reset the pulsing of the spell song.

Or maybe have a limited number of ticks before it has to be recast.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the cap from items is 30 as stated in Phoenix's calculations.

Going by his numbers with a bard having 6 mana (from 40 LMC) cost upkeep for any spellsong, they could keep at least one of them up indefinitely without going too overboard on gear.

Sustaining 2 spellsongs would raise that cost to about 12.
So 100 Mana 0 MR = 8 Ticks/ 16 Seconds
1 MR/Sec would extend that by 1 tick
1.5 would extend it by 2 ticks
2 MR/sec would extend it by 3 ticks

Also looking at adjusting the upkeep so the bard will have an easier time sustaining in the party. This should allow the bard to buff the party, keep them buffed, and still participate in any battles. Albeit they will have to watch their mana carefully.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For currently in effect:
Discord mastery abilities are tied directly to discord. No bonuses given for extra bard skills.

Upkeep raises by 2 per additional mobile receiving the effect.
(So a tamer bard with 1 pet(not mounted) would have +2 to base upkeep cost of the beneficial abilities)
----------------------

In progress:
Lowering party cost considerably. (Maybe +1 for up to 5 party mobs, + 2 for up to 10 party mobs. )

Slayer support.

Discord:
Adding magic resist factor into discord abilities.
Maximum Ticks before recast.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Playing with numbers today.

Lowering upkeep cost on some of the abilities.

With 40 LMC / 120 med/120 focus/ 80 Int and 0 MR and No LMC from other bard skills
Invigorate sustainable indefinitely.

With 9 Mr and LMC from other bard abilities, Invigorate and Inspire sustainable concurrently indefinitely.

I worked in slayer damage, think it may need some tweaking, because I an 1 hit earth ele's with despair for about 120 damage after resists.
have to check that against other slayers.

Slight lowering of upkeep cost on tribulation.

Started testing resist factoring and tick limitations.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update:
Sent a bunch of stuff over to QA so I'm just waiting to patch the initial holes that I know they are going to tear into my stuff.

So first a recap of what I was planning.
All Abilities: No longer interrupted by any bard skills.

The non-directed/non-focused/aoe/passive abilities, which is pretty much anything except despair. Though this may go for tribulation as well (pending some testing)
Would not be interrupted by the bard casting spells.
(I guess nobody on test ran a stoneform preservance bard. That was fun)

Despair/Tribulation
Slight lowering of the damage from despair/Tribulation in PvP, and raising of the damage in PvM. (Possibly factoring in Resist Spells of target)
(Possibly also awarding bonus damage for bard also having provoke/peacemaking , so that high damage still very possible for Bards investing alot of skill points.)

AOE Party Effects:
Allowing bard to run multiple spellsongs at the same time.
(May be interesting to stack Despair and tribulation but for now not being considered)

All Abilities:
Lower mana cost for casting and upkeep if the bard has multiple bard skills.

And the status update as is currently testing.

Lower Upkeep cost from support skills: Done
(Peace and Provo Abilities all received small lower mana cost adjustment.)

Spell song stacking: Bards using peace or provo mastery can run both spell songs concurrently if they can manage the upkeep cost.

Spell song effects: The base effects to all spellsongs will receive slight bonuses from having other bard skills at GM or higher.

Despair/Tribulation:
Limited number of rounds. Some effects can be resisted by players with high magic resist.
Tribulation damage should now be more effective.
Slayer support for Despair and Tribulation

Also added small tweak elsewhere. (Secret!)

-*Edit* Forgot one of the most important things. Spell songs won't be interrupted by casting spells.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slayer support will be from the instrument.

The round limit on despair/tribulation will be PvP as well as PvM though currently only players have a chance to "shrug-off" the effects.
Also the round limit increases with skill.

I didn't lower the upkeep cost directly on tribulation/despair because they are sustainable in PvM for extended periods through player accessible effects which restore mana. (not that I want to make those effects necessary, but standing alone they do provide significant capabilities for dishing out damage)
mana vampire
wraith form
hit mana leech

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not exactly. You still will only have one mastery at a time.

If you're mastery is peacemaking, you can run both resilience and preservance at the same time.

In the cast of provocation mastery you can run both invigorate and inspire at the same time.

Discord Mastery still is one ability at a time however.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What resilience -should- do is give you a chance to resist poison effects similar to the way orange petals work.
It won't prevent you from getting poisoned, but it will give you a small chance to resist poison that depends on your skill.
Though in the case of petals its guaranteed resistance up to greater poison, the bard immunity gives you a % chance.

I believe that it may be bugged so that the resistance check from the petals is overriding that of the bards and if you don't already have petals in effect the bard check is being ignored. (Which of course defeats the purpose)

Basically if you drank a deadly poison on test, then ate some petals, you should notice that with resilience in effect you still have a chance to resist the deadly poison even if the poison overwhelms the petals.

Along with the mentioned changes to the mastery abilities, this poison resistance is also fixed so that the resistance is factored separate from the petals.

----------------------------

As for skiill gain, you have a chance to gain by initiating a spell song. The upkeep wont give you gains.