• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Baja = Role-Playing?

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was talking to a fellow friend/guildy and she made an interesting observation. She observed that Baja's role-playing community has become larger and stronger. What do you all think? What do you see?

Has Baja become a Role-Playing shard? I'm interested to hear what other Baja players (PvPers, PvMers, Role-Players, Everybody) think.

P

Paytience Fawn

Yup, It's grown for sure from the time it was first introduced to me until present.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After what I've seen on a few other shards, it appears to me that the RP here is also more visible, especially in gen chat. Safe to assume that the RP is more...welcome? here on Baja.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It seems that to my cross sharding ways. I like that its there even if it does mean that I stay up later then I should.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I would agree with several comments above. RP on Baja is both stronger and more active then it used to be and also more visible.

There is plenty of room on Baja for all of the play styles in UO - PvM, PvP, RP, Crafting, etc.

WildStar

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I'm not the biggest fan of it (a PvP Thread that is) since 80% of the content consists of people throwing literary poo at each other but... Maybe the denial of a Baja PvP Thread also speaks to this?

Alouenikah

Caretaker of Sudiva
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I'm not the biggest fan of it (a PvP Thread that is) since 80% of the content consists of people throwing literary poo at each other but... Maybe the denial of a Baja PvP Thread also speaks to this?
Well, SuperKen is the most senior moderator (Oriana isn't around anymore, and I don't think Bryelle was modding yet when the last PvP thread was locked) and he's a PvPer, so I'm not sure the RP community has much to do with that.

Honestly, compared to some other shards I've seen, the relationship between RPers and PvPers is very amiable here. It contributes positively to the atmosphere of the shard, in my opinion.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So is Vaughn.

There is no such thing as a straight RPer in UO. We're RPvPrs. RPvEers. RPCrafters. BRPA2 is in Factions.

What is happening is Baja is becoming a haven for RPers escaping the drama and boredom on other shards. In the past couple months we've received two newcomers from Atlantic. Three from Cats. Two from Europa. I'm told one or two might be coming from GL. We've become more vocal. More active. Creating something a little different than what is found elsewhere.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So is Vaughn.

There is no such thing as a straight RPer in UO. We're RPvPrs. RPvEers. RPCrafters. BRPA2 is in Factions.

What is happening is Baja is becoming a haven for RPers escaping the drama and boredom on other shards. In the past couple months we've received two newcomers from Atlantic. Three from Cats. Two from Europa. I'm told one or two might be coming from GL. We've become more vocal. More active. Creating something a little different than what is found elsewhere.
And one from Chesy looking to be more active. :gee:

War Wizard

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the benefits of the Baja Shard..... the RPers interact with the PvPers and visa versa. PvPers here on Baja ARE PvPer but, will humor us RPers and play along with us.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Airhaun,

If I recall correctly, the PvP thread closing is totally unrelated to anything related to RP. What I remember is that despite being allowed somewhat more looser rules, members of the PvP community who posted in it did not follow them. Eventually the thread was closed because repeated warnings were ignored. I believe if you look in the thread, you will find them. However as of the time of posting this response, I have not personally looked in the PvP thread to verify this.

WildStar

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So is Vaughn.
I am!

The thing I like about Air, Ken, Twist.. is that they will take the rp'ers and teach them how to PvP and vice versa. I understand with Ken, RP has always been there in some form.. I believe not so much for Air.. or for Twist.. which is huge and appreciated. (Correct me if I'm wrong Fella's). Though there seems to have at least always been a mutual respect and admiration.. something Air said as well when I asked about wording.

And Ken and I have brought up reopening the PvP thread.. It's a periodic ongoing conversation.

EM Godiva

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think Warder put it best when he said, “There is no such thing as a straight RPer in UO.”, though I would say that there are "very few". Role Players come in many different forms, from PvPers to Rare Collectors. I have even seen non-traditional role players join in role play during an event by emoting or playing along with the current storyline.

Most of us play a role of some sort, in my opinion, regardless of whether or not we are participating in the traditional form of role playing. I know some supposedly “cold-blooded” PvPers (from my home shard) who, in truth, are some of the kindest and most thoughtful people. While not “role playing” in the traditional sense, they are playing a role that is completely opposite of their actual personality.

But I digress...

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Two.

Not to mention the return of QSA and RoU.
Who is the other? Maybe I can get a set up as I am planning on sending some things over to establish a more... extensive presence on baja. EM Godiva you are an RP goddess I remember the first time I met you in the Sea Witch and laughing my head off.

EM Godiva

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EM Godiva you are an RP goddess I remember the first time I met you in the Sea Witch and laughing my head off.
Thank you for the kind words!

I have so many "tells", though, I imagine most people know when it's me. I can think of a few players with characters who are so completely different from each other that I was genuinely shocked when I found out the same person was behind them.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have even seen non-traditional role players join in role play during an event by emoting or playing along with the current storyline..
*raises hand*
Guilty as charged! :)

Please don't mistake my post(s) as condescending to Role-Playing. I think it's neat that of all the shards Baja has become a 'safe haven' or friendly atmosphere to the RPing community. When someone mentioned the observation it just kinda' smacked me in the face as I could see hints of what they were talking about but never put 2 n 2 together. I was then really interested in feedback from Baja.

On a personal note, I have been 'emoting' more than usually these past few weeks (maybe youz guyz put something in the water). And the relationship between RP'ers and PvPers is pretty neat. While I was butt naked during the Despise Fel Nudy dungeon run I specifically got a kick out of attacking Mama Faith (in all her bare naked glorious splendor) and members of fully clothed, armed and mounted Cartel. Of course they immediately proceeded to kill me slowly via magic arrow and that was funny too.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the kind words!

I have so many "tells", though, I imagine most people know when it's me. I can think of a few players with characters who are so completely different from each other that I was genuinely shocked when I found out the same person was behind them.
Well in this case it was the yellow name :D. Of course the fact that you were the only active EM made it pretty easy. It sure was nice seeing an EM wandering around RPing with us though. Even if you did have a bit too much to drink.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Goat.

He's had a character here. But now he's moving in full time. He just established himself in QSAland. Benito and Ozog have also had characters here for awhile.
Well yes but Benito is MIA for the near term and I talk to him and Ozog all the time I will have to reach out to goat because if I transfer things over I would like it to be a full trip.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Airhaun,

If I recall correctly, the PvP thread closing is totally unrelated to anything related to RP. What I remember is that despite being allowed somewhat more looser rules, members of the PvP community who posted in it did not follow them. Eventually the thread was closed because repeated warnings were ignored. I believe if you look in the thread, you will find them. However as of the time of posting this response, I have not personally looked in the PvP thread to verify this.

WildStar
Guess I should speak to this as I was the one who closed the thread the last time and the time before.... Oriana will have to speak to the previous closures.

Baja has tried many times over the years to have a PvP thread but it doesn't succeed in that there are those that post way beyond the confines of the RoC. Remember, you don't see the offending posts as they get removed. Yes, the RoC is relaxed somewhat and that in itself is an issue. Now it becomes subjective and open to criticism. Where does one draw the line? Claims of favoritism become rampant, in-game and out of game problems start. Moderators are placed in a no-win position. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Stratics trys to be a place for people to feel at home, to feel comfortable enough to be able to post without fear of being attacked. Is Baja Stratics one of the reasons that the RP community continues to grow on Baja? I think so. Could this also be a means to increase PvP on Baja? I absolutely think so. Can the PvP'rs who grossly violate the RoC refrain? Yes, if they really wanted to have a healthy and vibrant PvP thread succeed.