• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attracting new players today: what gamer profile would you look for?

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
As a thought exercise, let's say you'd want to find gamers who are likely to love Ultima Online "as is", its rich history, depth in game features, etc. What player profile would you look for if you were to profile them by games adored? For example: someone who likes Jump King, Call of Duty, OverWatch and Doom, is not necessarily to like UO.

Post your 5 top games of the gamer profile you think fits best, in theory. And provide arguments.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have several types of games I like to play.

1. Ultima Online type games (MMO's)
2. Call Of Duty
3. APEX Legends
4. Madden/NBA/MLB games
5. Fall Out Series currently.

But I also really enjoyed Spider Man on the Playstation. Always go back and play retro games, especially Ultima Underworld. I have beat Underworld yet. I always get to the end, but never finish it. I dont want to ruin it lol.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't entice new gamers to this game. It's only going to result in them never listening to you for advice again.

The current player base has made their bed. They seem happy sleeping in it or at least content in continuing to pay for it.

Even "Free" Shards are largely bait.

There are just too many better games to play and gaming has only gone up. There's very little reason for being the new person in an old MMO. Definitely not one of the oldest MMOs. It's like being the person that buys stock after it's exploded and is overvalued. You'd just be there to benefit others.

If you want to give new players advice, tell them to play single player games until a new MMO comes out they can start off fresh in with everyone else. League of Legends is apparently making an MMO and that'll be the one I'm playing next probably. Until then, there are a ton of great single player games. Eiyuden Chronicles is coming out for those of you that didn't back the kickstarter. It's already out for us backers. Rimworld just released a DLC to revisit that game again. Final Fantasy 7 Reborn is pretty fun. Baldur's Gate 3 got multiple Game of the Year rewards if you haven't already played it. Dave the Diver was added to Console if you don't have a PC. Fallout just put out a successful TV series so a lot of people are re-hyping up Fallout 4. Fallout 76, despite a terrible launch, has dug itself out of the trash bin with a ton of good updates.

There's very little reason to waste time on MMOs for Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) mechanics.

At best, you could argue New Legacy could be a semi-fresh start in UO and try that angle, but the dev team is more likely to drop the ball on it than not.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I had to get someone into UO, which I really wouldn't, I'd wait for a decent looking freeshard to launch and have them do that. Then, after 2 months, when the people who can't play 20 hours a day quit they can quit too and be like, "Yeah, I played UO. It was pretty cool."

Unless they really like it and start playing 20 hours a day but then quit after 3 months because everyone else quit. Then they can be like, "Yeah, I played UO. It was pretty cool."

What I would not do is introduce anyone to the mess that is UO being run by Broadsword. It would be like introducing them to a freeshard that is already dead.