• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Attacking with pets etc.

S

Spogfrawn

With the new targeting system you can target something before you cast on it. But when you use a pet there doesn't seem to be an easy way to tell it to attack your target. I've been resorting to dragging health bars around again like in 2D. If you do it with the targeting system you have to swap targets again to heal your pet. Is there some more elegant way?

I seem to remember in Everquest 2 they had a neat little set of icons especially for your pet where you could give it commands and heal it without needing to swap targets all the time. Any chance of making some clever macros to do something like that?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just dragged bandys to a hotbar slot and set them 'target - stored' where 'stored' is the pet you're using. Made it a single box and parked it next to my pet's life bar. Bandy count, pet health and bandy timer all in one convenient spot.

O

Old Man of UO

With the new targeting system you can target something before you cast on it. But when you use a pet there doesn't seem to be an easy way to tell it to attack your target. I've been resorting to dragging health bars around again like in 2D. If you do it with the targeting system you have to swap targets again to heal your pet. Is there some more elegant way?

I seem to remember in Everquest 2 they had a neat little set of icons especially for your pet where you could give it commands and heal it without needing to swap targets all the time. Any chance of making some clever macros to do something like that?
Actually, I prefer using the Heal/Bandage Current Target versus using the Stored Target as Petra suggests. It takes a bit to get used to it, but I don't have to change stored targets or have multiple pet macros whenever I change pets. It's a personal preference, but I'd suggest giving both methods a try.

W

wee papa smurf

I've yet to try my tamer on SA, does anyone know if the macros and hotbar keys ect we make for the beta will we be able to use them when SA goes live?

O

Old Man of UO

I've yet to try my tamer on SA, does anyone know if the macros and hotbar keys ect we make for the beta will we be able to use them when SA goes live?
Yes! Most Likely! Probably! and Could Be!

Either way, it's good practice learning how to make macros. When KR went from beta to "live" it kept all the user settings, hot bars, macros, etc. So I would guess that it would, unless there is a HUGE new install.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It damn well better, I spent way too long setting up 4 of my pvpers.

O

Old Man of UO

It damn well better, I spent way too long setting up 4 of my pvpers.
This won't help if your PvPers are set up differently, but if they are close to each other, you can copy the character file and rename it with another character to copy all settings, macros, etc.

T

TheGrayGhost

Make the following macro's (This requires legacy targeting turned off)

All Kill

All Kill Command, Cursor Target Current.

Heal Pet

1) Put bandages on your hotbar and set stored target to w/e pet you want. For multiple pets I would recomend making a bar for it and making multiple macro's of just the bandage (You can right click on the bandages in the macro and store target as well)

2) I have a repeating bandage macro.

Bandage, delay 2.0, bandage, delay 2.0, bandage, delay 2.0, Bandage, delay 2.0. Repeat 10 times. This allows me to store target the 4 bandages to w/e pet I am using to tank with. Thats 40 heals uninterupted. If you cast or anything it interupts. I have this one mapped to spacebar though so it's very simple and quick to start it again.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I prefer using the Heal/Bandage Current Target.....
Is this just another one of the things I am missing/not seeing? Where is this?

As to Petra's target stored, I was not all that happy with it, but then I was / am being a bit more of a baby about it that is deserved. What I don't like about it is I need to edit the macro to set the pet. It would be nice if they detected that the stored value did not exist, give you the targeting cursor then store the newly targeted item.

Yeah I know I can create multiple macroes for each pet, but I like hitting the F4 key and doing the Vet.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have the legacy targeting turned off, you can put bandages in your hotbar, right click on the bandages in the hotbar and then set the target.
This is how I have it now.

I am assuming the OldMan is referring to the 2D Macro for bandages (again it is at the bottom of the 2D macro action list). If not then were is that action?

I assume there is a distinction between the Bandages and the Bandage Action. I assume the latter uses any old Stack of Bandages.

Least wise that is how I have it set up under the 2D client and it certainly does seem to work that way, but under no circumstance will I assert that I have a clue about this, other than it does what I want :)

O

Old Man of UO

This is how I have it now.

I am assuming the OldMan is referring to the 2D Macro for bandages (again it is at the bottom of the 2D macro action list). If not then were is that action?

I assume there is a distinction between the Bandages and the Bandage Action. I assume the latter uses any old Stack of Bandages.

Least wise that is how I have it set up under the 2D client and it certainly does seem to work that way, but under no circumstance will I assert that I have a clue about this, other than it does what I want :)
I guess I'm not quite following you or what you are asking for.

I have Legacy targeting off, drop bandages in a hot bar slot, right click and set target to current. I hot key this to the numbers 3 and 4 (in case I miss one while in a hurry). Then, I click on my pets health bar, and when I press either #3 or #4, it will attempt to bandage whatever I have set as the current target. Very simple and I seldom heal the wrong thing.

Now, my favorite pet heal macro is a macro that:
Drop bandage in macro slot > Target Current; Cast Greater Heal > Current Target. Set hot key to F9 (or whatever).

Whenever my pet gets into trouble, I click the health bar and run in to my pet and press F9 and it heals for twice as much. If there is an area cast and I can't get close, I press F9 and it just casts the Greater Heal spell on my pet.

AND - I can use this macro to heal friends the same way.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then I misunderstood you and Zym had your statement right.

If you use the 2D Client and do a macro (just hit the add button) and go to the very bottom of the Actions List

you will find bandageself and bandagetarget

I have not been able to find these two in SA. Given a choice I would prefer to use these actions over the stack of bandages. The way I understood you, I thought you had found them. It is clear that you have not :)

W

wee papa smurf

If you have the legacy targeting turned off, you can put bandages in your hotbar, right click on the bandages in the hotbar and then set the target.
Nice one, was wondering what i was doing wrong :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

O

Old Man of UO

you will find bandageself and bandagetarget

I have not been able to find these two in SA. Given a choice I would prefer to use these actions over the stack of bandages. The way I understood you, I thought you had found them. It is clear that you have not :)
Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, you can do the same thing with the SA targeting.

2D: BandageSelf
SA: Bandage - set target to Stored Target and target yourself.

2D: BandageTarget
SA: Bandage - set target to Stored Target and target whatever you want to heal

Is this what you mean?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, you can do the same thing with the SA targeting.

2D: BandageSelf
SA: Bandage - set target to Stored Target and target yourself.

2D: BandageTarget
SA: Bandage - set target to Stored Target and target whatever you want to heal

Is this what you mean?
As I said earlier that is how I have it currently implemented. :) Hence the "I prefer ....." part :thumbsup:

O

Old Man of UO

As I said earlier that is how I have it currently implemented. :) Hence the "I prefer ....." part :thumbsup:
Okay... What does it do in 2D that can't be done in SA? I don't understand the difference and what you want it to do.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let us try it this way.

Use a stack of bandages when it runs out (silly me) then you need to reset things.

Use the bandagetarget and it will seek out any stack of bandages, in your top level backpack. Down side is you can not direct it to use the enhanced bandages or regular bandages. While I have several thousand enhanced bandages, i just really never find my self in a position to need them. I can bind Vet+GreaterHeals together.

O

Old Man of UO

Let us try it this way.

Use a stack of bandages when it runs out (silly me) then you need to reset things.
Ahh... now I see. This is like the UO Assist "Use Type" setting.

First... don't run out of bandages!

Second, the hot bar slot is actually better! As long as you use the same color bandages, when you drop a new stack of bandages into your backpack it will automatically go into the same hot bar slot and use the same targeting.

I think this is what you want it to do. At least, I think this is great.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I like to use the bandages made into a macro.

Create, drop bandages, set target current, timer, set repeat.

Now, pull the lifebar of your pets and whoever else is in your party, their pets and line them up into a pet group. I have my macro on the spacebar, now when you see damage on any of the lifebars, you click it and it appears in your target gump, now push spacebar and you begin healing. Hit ESC to stop the macro or have it set to only heal one time. Also, like OLD MAN said, you can add cast heal, cure, etc. into the macro and do it all at the same time.

That is if your using SA.

If your using 2D I don't remember.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I like to make macros that do many things and do them quickly. This is what gives SA the advantage.

I use a pally/tamer/archer/mage, so this allows me to do several different combinations. The basic set up of all kill, that I use, is complicated but affective.

Create a macro, target nearest enemy/war mode/all kill/consecrate weapon/timer/fury/special move.

Time set to .2. When you use this macro, your enemy will appear in your target gump and you will have a target in your hand, double click the gump and the arrow flies at the same time as your pet does. It also uses a special move if you have the weapon skill. This macro will eliminate the enemy in less than one second.