• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Mage Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic Mage Tournament
Saturday December 13th

5:30 pm Central

Entry Fee:5 Mil

Prizes:
1st Place: 65% of the pot
2nd Place: 20% of the pot
3rd Place: 15% of the pot
(Other prizes may be available depending on attendance)

Rules:
Spellbooks/Lanterns Equipped
Only Mage Spells
Human Characters
Fields are allowed
No protection
No precasting
No Potions
No Enchanted Apples
No Wands
No Specials
No Necromancy, Spirit Speak, Spellweaving, Chivalry, Healing, Bushido, or Poisoning Skill.
No Weapon Skill or Mage Weapons
No Petals
No Summons/Pets
No Magic Reflect Items
Backpacks must be empty (reagents are an exception)
(if these rules aren't clear enough then.....icq/pm me with any questions you have...)

Each Player will be snooped before dueling

Any player caught cheating will be disqualified and forfeit their 5 mil.

On the day of the tournament players will be given further information on where the duels will take place.

To sign up ICQ: 360-504-199 or pm me.

Everyone is encouraged to participate. No egos, no trash talk...just fun clean mage dueling.

Players Signed Up: (You must turn in your entry fee to officially enter..this ensures you'll be there)
Ngraskel (Paid)
Gemmineye (not official)
Nexed (not official)
Sprawl (not official)
Paithan (not official)
Nickel (not official)
Dragkiris (not official)
Stinky (not official)
Talos (not official)
Samantha Carter (not official)
Forsaken SP (not official)
Invictus (not official)
Draxous (not official)

T

Tazar

Alexei, Please post this in the events calendar at the top of the forum as well. This will be the first event since the return of the calendar!

*Thinks to self* "Now where are those two new shard reporters." "Time to put them to work!"

A quick recall to Goodman's Rune Library finds Lady Andrasta patiently rearranging runes upon the pages of several books. "Good Morning Lady!" "Please take note of the Atlantic Mage Tournament coming up on December 6th." "Although no time was given, I hope you or Sam will be able to attend!"

*Picking up a quill pen, the Lady notes it in her calendar with a smile.*

"Now to find Sam"

*After several more recalls to Lord Raven's, Lady Rache's, Sprites, and even the theater, Sam is nowhere to be found*

*Several more recalls through the local pubs finally finds Sam at the back table in the Cat's Lair Tavern in Britain.* "Sam! 'tis good to see you!" "Sam?" *Upon closer inspection, it seems that Sam is sitting slumped over in his chair and may actually be holding up the wall to his left!*

*Stepping closer to the table and then draining the pitcher of ale sitting lonely upon the table in one long drought, I yell* "Sam!" *while gently shaking him.* "Sam, Wake up!"

"There is an event coming!" "Please check your schedule for December 6th and see if you are available." "I hope either you or Lady Andrasta will be able to attend."

"Oh, and Keep Practicing!" "We'll make a Drunken Elder out of you yet!"

K

kenlutuo

Just trollin' around... To avoid lag and spam, have JC make movies of the duels and post up the links. Movies could also be used to avoid the "tall" stories. :)

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes you can use regs.

That rule was put in place so I don't have to look through a bunch of crap to make sure you don't have something you shouldn't have.

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Time/Date changed due to college finals and a few requests.

W

walter_mitty

i can tell already from the list of entrant's who's going win lol.

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not about winning...it's about having fun.

I think it's a good list and it could go to anyone.

Plus if we have enough registered there are a few people willing to throw additional prizes in the mix.

Some I am considering:
Most Entertaining Duel: Both contestants get their 5 mil back.
Honorable Mention: All the duelers vote on who they enjoyed watching the most (10 Mil)

..this is if we get enough contestants.....I think the magic number will be 16+

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5 mil entry fee is too steep.
I completely agree with this... that entry fee makes this event for only the most wealthy elite mages. Not really for the whole shard is it?

With the amount of entrants that will actually be able to afford this... it's not going to last long.

Maybe have two classes... Legendary and GM... lower entrance fee for GM or something like that... anyway.

Safe Travels, Sam

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alexei, Please post this in the events calendar at the top of the forum as well. This will be the first event since the return of the calendar!

*Thinks to self* "Now where are those two new shard reporters." "Time to put them to work!"
..."
Actually after consideration, Sam is going to take a pass on this event for the following reasons:

1. An event that requires 5 million gold to participate is not a PUBLIC event. Just letting folks stand around and watch does not meet that classification as far as I'm concerned.

2. Post ONE date/time... my pesonal policy on reporting ANY event will be that folks that can't plan before they post... won't get reported by Sam.

That might sound bitchy, but if I'm trying to change MY schedule to fit YOUR schedule... that only happens once.

Hopefully Andrasta can cover this.

Save Travels, Sam

W

walter_mitty

the top 2 pvpers on atlantic are in that list.
is there a betting syndicate happening for the event ?

G

GFY

5 mil to expensive for an Elite Mage!?!?

Come on guys, about 1 day in Ice Dungeon killing Ice Fiends with a slayer spell book, should give you close to 5 million gp.

Please...

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5 mil to expensive for an Elite Mage!?!?

Come on guys, about 1 day in Ice Dungeon killing Ice Fiends with a slayer spell book, should give you close to 5 million gp.

Please...
I always love it when I see folks say stuff like that... it kinda reminds me of the commercials on TV where the folks make $10,000 working part time weekends. ;)

I guess you're talking about a full 24hr day? Do you camp the dungeon the entire day chasing everyone else out? I'm not saying that to be rude to you, but that one room there is pretty popular with tamers and fighters both. Those ice fiends don't spawn that fast either.

Let's just say I'm pretty skeptical about any solo character making 5 mil in a "day", killing Ice Fiends. I've spend a lot of time hunting Deamons in Ilysh, they have more gold, there are more at one time, and you also get the paragons... and I've yet to walk away with anything close to what you're talking about.

Course if I've been hunting them for an hour or more and someone else shows up, I tell them politely that "I've bagged my limit... the field is yours." ...and recall home.

Safe Travels, Sam

S

Sgt.Slaughter

I completely agree with this... that entry fee makes this event for only the most wealthy elite mages. Not really for the whole shard is it?

With the amount of entrants that will actually be able to afford this... it's not going to last long.

Maybe have two classes... Legendary and GM... lower entrance fee for GM or something like that... anyway.

Safe Travels, Sam
Go do a spawn.... if you dare trying.. and get 5m off one scroll.

quit crying about a fair wager... its supposed to be like betting.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go do a spawn.... if you dare trying.. and get 5m off one scroll.

quit crying about a fair wager... its supposed to be like betting.
"Crying" are we equipping our Trolling weps? I hope you're not one of those people that can't stand it when someone actually has a different opinion and dares to express it?

I'm pointing out you can hardly call it a "public" event with that kind of entry fee. Besides... you're only seeing who the best equipped mage is.

Here is a real contest. Strip the contestants down naked. Empty their packs and either only allow a regular spellbook or do not allow them to equip modified books.

No rings/bracers... nothing. Just bare skin and natural talent.

Give each a pair of arcane boots (no resists) with 10 charges. If both are standing after the charges are gone, draw. If one wins... then you have a winner based on real skill and not on gold (as in being able to buy the best goodies, etc.)

Also, you could expand the access to the event by allowing different levels of competition. Right now, it's the Uber-Elite Mage Event. If you had catagories for GM, and Elder too, then it would be more like real sporting events. If you are familiar with boxing, racing, football, baseball, golf or any other mainstream sporting event... you see there are different classes, etc.

And... a GM mage shouldn't have to spend 5 mil... different classes, different prizes, different entry fees... a true Atlantic Mage Event. Not an Uber-Mage Event. *yawns*

Oh, and your "spawn challenge"... again... Uber-Elite. You guys kill me with all your "it's so easy to get 5 mil!" proposals... So far, I've had one tell me that I could easily get a sponsor... (but then noted that it would be an investment and I would have to demonstrate I could win first). Another... hmmm... 5 mil from Ice Fiends... and then you... How much do you think I would have to spend on armor/spellbook(s) to build a character that could solo a spawn? Even assuming I've already spend the millions on the 120 powerscrolls to get Legendary Magery, Eval, and Med (at least)...

Now, you come back with those figures, lad... then you tell me how easy it is to make 5 mil in this game. I think some of you have lived so high in the clouds for so long you can't even breathe regular air anymore. 5 mil is a LOT of money to a large majority of players. Therefore, an event that requires 5 mil to participate is NOT a public event and does not qualify as one.

So, before you can "easily" make 5 mil in a day... for a Mage... you've probably spent well over 100mil in powerscrolls, armor, books, regs... should I go on? Yup, easy.

Safe Travels, Sam

B

Bouche835

How about lets be positive. If you don't want to cover the event then just say no. We don't need did to hear why and how you think this is not an event. For someone that is a reporter for the atlantic you sure bring a lot of unneeded negativity.

B

Bouche835

The reason you make the entry fee that high is to make sure people who say they are going to enter do. Because if you don't, people will say they will enter and not show up. Now having background in parks and recreation I know these things. I know this works, I have hosted lot of tournaments for different sports and different ages. This is what I do. You don't want to put on an event and run it half ass because if you do people will not enter the next one.

And no you to not try to comidate everyone. You set the rules and the people who want to enter, enter. It is that simple.

S

Sgt.Slaughter

"Crying" are we equipping our Trolling weps? I hope you're not one of those people that can't stand it when someone actually has a different opinion and dares to express it?

I'm pointing out you can hardly call it a "public" event with that kind of entry fee. Besides... you're only seeing who the best equipped mage is.

Here is a real contest. Strip the contestants down naked. Empty their packs and either only allow a regular spellbook or do not allow them to equip modified books.

No rings/bracers... nothing. Just bare skin and natural talent.

Give each a pair of arcane boots (no resists) with 10 charges. If both are standing after the charges are gone, draw. If one wins... then you have a winner based on real skill and not on gold (as in being able to buy the best goodies, etc.)

Also, you could expand the access to the event by allowing different levels of competition. Right now, it's the Uber-Elite Mage Event. If you had catagories for GM, and Elder too, then it would be more like real sporting events. If you are familiar with boxing, racing, football, baseball, golf or any other mainstream sporting event... you see there are different classes, etc.

And... a GM mage shouldn't have to spend 5 mil... different classes, different prizes, different entry fees... a true Atlantic Mage Event. Not an Uber-Mage Event. *yawns*

Oh, and your "spawn challenge"... again... Uber-Elite. You guys kill me with all your "it's so easy to get 5 mil!" proposals... So far, I've had one tell me that I could easily get a sponsor... (but then noted that it would be an investment and I would have to demonstrate I could win first). Another... hmmm... 5 mil from Ice Fiends... and then you... How much do you think I would have to spend on armor/spellbook(s) to build a character that could solo a spawn? Even assuming I've already spend the millions on the 120 powerscrolls to get Legendary Magery, Eval, and Med (at least)...

Now, you come back with those figures, lad... then you tell me how easy it is to make 5 mil in this game. I think some of you have lived so high in the clouds for so long you can't even breathe regular air anymore. 5 mil is a LOT of money to a large majority of players. Therefore, an event that requires 5 mil to participate is NOT a public event and does not qualify as one.

So, before you can "easily" make 5 mil in a day... for a Mage... you've probably spent well over 100mil in powerscrolls, armor, books, regs... should I go on? Yup, easy.

Safe Travels, Sam

Make your own mage duel.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about lets be positive. If you don't want to cover the event then just say no. We don't need did to hear why and how you think this is not an event. For someone that is a reporter for the atlantic you sure bring a lot of unneeded negativity.
I'm not being negative, I'm offering ideas on how to expand the event to include more people. As for hearing my why and how... public forum... remember? We are here to share our ideas.

As for being a Shard Reporter... on my application to Stratics for that position, I stated that Sam's duties would always lie first and foremost as House Scribe to Lord Raven of Minoc. Stratics can terminate my volunteer position on staff as well as my account on Stratics at any time. It won't change the fact that I state my mind. My continued responses to this thread are replies to comments made about my posts.

Now, having said that... what does a reporter do? Well, if you read newspapers you can see that reporters often present human interest stories or point out when conditions are set to favor certain groups. That is reporting. You could, if you like, consider my posts here the same kind of writing you would see in the editorial page of any paper.

My position as a Shard Reporter, in no way limits your ability to have an event, or express your opinion in these forums. I have no influence other than my pen.

However, there are folks called Mods. Their function is similar to the job of the Editor at a newspaper. They have the power to eliminate or alter content based on their own personal judgement.

In a followup post, you pointed out that you work for Parks and Rec and have real life experience that pertains to this. You mentioned sports, so I'm guessing maybe in your position you take registration fees to access public baseball parks? Even if you don't let's use that as an example. In game, were talking about 5mil...

Now, Parks and Rec collects a "reasonable" fee, and that that fee may include a non-refundable deposit to make sure that folks aren't just booking facilities and then not showing up, right? Well, if you were a dad and wanted to get a field for your little league team and found out the fee was $15,000... you would think that was reasonable?

That's the point I'm trying to make, the fee makes it so only the richest players can attend. My posts have only been suggestions that you could also include other levels of players, and make it a true public event.

Would this require additional thought? Sure? Better organization, you bet? Since you have dealt with the public, you know that when you plan something you need to make sure the follks with wheelchairs can get in too, right? Maybe have some seating or a tent for shade if you're expecting the elderly folks to attend.

It's called planning and it makes the event a true public event and fun for everyone.

And... to reply to Sgt. Slaughter... I'm thinking about it. Lord Raven might just sponsor a Naked Mages Tournament. And... this isn't the first time I've had that thought. Every time I see one of these announcements for an Uber-Elite mages contest... I wonder... how does two guys battling it out with 100mil in gear... actually prove who the better mage is?

Anyway, I am not trying to rain on your parade... whoever the organizers of the event are. It's hard getting an event of any kind to work so best of luck to you. I hope I do not discourage any individual from doing things in game and inviting other folks to join.

Maybe I focused on the whole "public" aspect a bit too much. Fine... Sam is a very focused individual. He likes making the fine points.

Maybe Sam will sponsor a Scribe vs. Scribe contest! Woot!

My LAST post to this thread as I truely do not wish to rain on anyone's parade.

If you want to reply to me and continue the discussion, please do it via PM. Thanks.

Safe Travels, Sam

W

walter_mitty

some of the players in that list duel for 100mil at a time lol.

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every GOOD mage dueling tournament that I've seen/been in has charged at a minimum of 5-10 mil...and this is when gold actually meant something...in today's market it's easy to make gold...it's to entice players to join and maybe even draw people from other shards (which it already has) Someone isn't going to transfer for an amazing 1 mil pot...and people don't want to spend about an hour to get an amazing 1 mil pot...

People duel for 20-100 mil more than you think...just because they don't post on these forums doesn't mean it hasn't happened....5 mil is nothing.

The time was changed due to players (that are actually entered) conflicting schedules...

There is a simple solution to this thread...if you don't like the amount....don't enter...it's that simple...we don't need 5+ posts on why your not entering...

C

Chaosy

I hate to say it Sam, but you are being pretty negative. It is a public event whether you like it or not. There are plenty of "public" events in this world that require an entry fee. Let's say you have a nightclub that's throwing a public party, but it costs $5 to enter. Just because there's an entry fee does not make it private...

And I'd also have to agree that 5 mil is very little these days. I know plenty of "poor" folk who have 10's of millions. Perhaps not everyone has that kind of gold, but the point is for a chance to win a big pot you're going to have to pay for it. It's more or less asking why poor people gamble. The difference is if you're good enough at dueling, you have a chance to make back several times your entry fee, and that's what draws duelers and spectators alike.

You could have simply said you weren't going to cover the event and left it at that instead of writing pages about how a 5 mil entry fee is unfair, etc etc. You're entitled to your opinion, but as a reporter I don't think you should be biased. As for naked mage tournaments: you'll die in two spells, hurray! If you want to see the closest thing to naked tournaments these days, then check out Seige. It might fit your playstyle more.

D

Draken-Korin

I believe Sam the Scribe is speaking of a time oh I dont know 8 to 10 years ago when dueling tournys, and events, WERE NOT for huge amounts of gold nor could they have been. If someone had 100 million gold they were rich beyond belief. Those things were for bragging rights more than anything else.

Sadly UO REFUSES to make a shard that would draw people back to a day when you could duel naked/newbie clothing and actually have a blast doing it.

Duels taking place with huge groups waiting for "next up" were commonplace. The idea of betting insane amounts of gold was more for newbies to the dueling scene.

The game has changed, BOY HAS IT CHANGED, and hey thats great for those that enjoy duels in the fashion it is nowadays but like I said Sam must be thinking of those days gone by when being a dueler was an art form, much like dancing. Hours and hours and hours of practice just to learn the simplest of steps, and when you perfected those you only wanted to learn MORE. Those days will never return but damn they are some special memories.

H

HeathBar

I believe Sam the Scribe is speaking of a time oh I dont know 8 to 10 years ago when dueling tournys, and events, WERE NOT for huge amounts of gold nor could they have been. If someone had 100 million gold they were rich beyond belief. Those things were for bragging rights more than anything else.

Sadly UO REFUSES to make a shard that would draw people back to a day when you could duel naked/newbie clothing and actually have a blast doing it.

Duels taking place with huge groups waiting for "next up" were commonplace. The idea of betting insane amounts of gold was more for newbies to the dueling scene.

The game has changed, BOY HAS IT CHANGED, and hey thats great for those that enjoy duels in the fashion it is nowadays but like I said Sam must be thinking of those days gone by when being a dueler was an art form, much like dancing. Hours and hours and hours of practice just to learn the simplest of steps, and when you perfected those you only wanted to learn MORE. Those days will never return but damn they are some special memories.
My thoughts exactly DK, we had some good times back then. Unfortunately UO will never go back to those days, at least not on an OSI shard. The rules Alexei have set up are about as close at it will get I think. Sadly naked duels these days, even with 120 resist, are just about who gets off a combo first.

I hate to play devil's advocate, but I think Sam is still entitled to express his opinions here even if they are wrong. ;)

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mage duels are fun...yes they are and people duel every day at farms, wrong and a few other places.... Mage tournaments are even better and not only can a mage prove where he ranks against uo's top mages but they will also have the chance to make a very large sum of gold.

I tell you what, if anyone wants to duel me naked or anyone else just icq me or whatever...I'll be happy to..but as for the tourney....sorry....

D

Draken-Korin

I agree HeathBar the ruleset for this tourny is great (even though I no longer duel/pvp on an OSI shard, and havent in years). Regardless I give them alot of credit for putting this together and giving it a go.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please i would like for you all to take a minute to

a) see that this is an event for all of ATL
b) Someone is taking the time to put together
c) is not keeping the entry fee but giving it out as price money

no one is forced to participate.

Now carry on , looking forward to hearing more about it

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please i would like for you all to take a minute to

a) see that this is an event for all of ATL
b) Someone is taking the time to put together
c) is not keeping the entry fee but giving it out as price money

no one is forced to participate.

Now carry on , looking forward to hearing more about it
Exactly!

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. An event that requires 5 million gold to participate is not a PUBLIC event. Just letting folks stand around and watch does not meet that classification as far as I'm concerned.
That quote is from my original post saying why I wouldn't attend...

The issue is the definition of a PUBLIC event.

The reason this is an issue: The Stratics Event Calender requires posted events be public (all-inclusive). For example, if your event is guild only, then it doesn't qualify to be added to the calendar. The Admin staff will decide the issue.

That is the ONLY point I've been making. I don't care what the organizers charge, or how they hold the contest. I did offer some suggestions, but in the end nothing restricts them from announcing the event here in the shard forum.

I have taken the event calendar policies up in the Stratics Staff Forums. The position I am taking there is if a group charges for an event, then it can't be posted to the event calander.

This isn't some kind of personal thing. I don't even know the event organizers. I'm just looking out for Joe-public, cause as a reporter, that's my job.

...I hate to play devil's advocate, but I think Sam is still entitled to express his opinions here even if they are wrong. ;)
Thanks Heathbar. I agree with that. And I still think that folks wearing Uber-Elite mage gear... only proves that the richest player will win. Sam is doing a little research into the Naked Mages Tournament concept. A report will be filed under new thread.

Safe Travels, Sam

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That quote is from my original post saying why I wouldn't attend...

The issue is the definition of a PUBLIC event.

The reason this is an issue: The Stratics Event Calender requires posted events be public (all-inclusive). For example, if your event is guild only, then it doesn't qualify to be added to the calendar. The Admin staff will decide the issue.

That is the ONLY point I've been making. I don't care what the organizers charge, or how they hold the contest. I did offer some suggestions, but in the end nothing restricts them from announcing the event here in the shard forum.

I have taken the event calendar policies up in the Stratics Staff Forums. The position I am taking there is if a group charges for an event, then it can't be posted to the event calander.

This isn't some kind of personal thing. I don't even know the event organizers. I'm just looking out for Joe-public, cause as a reporter, that's my job.

Thanks Heathbar. I agree with that. And I still think that folks wearing Uber-Elite mage gear... only proves that the richest player will win. Sam is doing a little research into the Naked Mages Tournament concept. A report will be filed under new thread.
Go to dictionary.com...there is more than one meaning. This event is public because I've made it known to the public and invite everyone to enter. Fairs are public events...people have to pay to get in... Pool tournaments are public events...you have to pay to enter...etc....

Tazar was the one asking me to post it in the events calendar. I agreed to. Every moderator I've talked to agreed with me.

The reason only the duelists and a few other contributors will be there is to prevent lag. I don't know if you've ever been in a mage tournament or even mage dueled...I can tell you that lag is a big issue with spellcasting...The whole issue of a mage duel is to keep disrupting your opponent and be able to heal through their spells....thats kind of hard with the amount of lag a large crowd would produce.

I'll naked mage duel you and I can guarantee it wouldn't last 10 seconds...this is what makes them lack. It's not hard to get a mage suit and duel.... I could probably build a 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6 suit with under 500k gold and still beat a majority of the mages on atlantic, even ones with suits that are valued over 100 mil....items help sure...but it's all about how you time your spells and whether you know what spell to use and when. There are also a few characters in that list that hardly have any gold at all and are still joining to have fun....the only reason I'm charging anything for this event is because people want a chance at something big...if they didn't then I wouldn't of had dozens of icqs about the tournament and have 12+ people joining with more that are considering it..

I would also like to mention that there will be prizes other than whats in the pot...we are considering honorable mention where the duelists vote on who they enjoyed watching the most, and best duel...which both duelists will get a prize...

So far I've had 10 mil donated to be added to the pot and 3 mil maybe from Andrasta for the event. I even planned on putting in 20 mil of my own gold for the event for prizes such as honorable mention where the duelists vote on who they enjoyed watching the most and most entertaining duel where both duelists get a prize.....this is depending on the outcome.

I'm not saying you can't have an opinion. I'm saying that there is a way to have an opinion without being negative.

As for the reporting part of things. I already planned on having video's of the final duels and post the bracket with who won/lost. Andrasta is more than welcome to be there if she wants to watch. She's also offered a donation so that will get her in there with the other contributors even if she doesn't want to report.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to dictionary.com...there is more than one meaning. This event is public...
The only definition that counts here is the Stratics definition as it pertains to the use of the Event Calender. I'll await the Admin reply to my internal request for clarification.

No, I haven't done any dueling yet. My main experience with PvP is this... if I'm winning, the red runs away and calls his guild... and if I loose... the red dances around telling me I'm a n**b.

And yes... experience counts, so I agree that the suit doesn't always make the man... but it sure helps to cover the flaws.

Oh, and I did note that it was Tazar that invited you to post to the calendar. He's a mod, not an admin. He doesn't make policy and even though he's a nice guy... I'm gonna see this through to the end.

It's not personal, it's about policy. I'll look forward to reading Andrasta's report. I'm sure she will do a fine job. She had expressed some concern that my opinions on this issue would cause her to recieve a cold reception. I hope that the participants realize that Andrasta and I are not the same person.

Be nice to her, she's a nice person.

Safe Travels, Sam

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to mention that there will be prizes other than whats in the pot...we are considering honorable mention where the duelists vote on who they enjoyed watching the most, and best duel...which both duelists will get a prize...

So far I've had 10 mil donated to be added to the pot and 3 mil maybe from Andrasta for the event. I even planned on putting in 20 mil of my own gold for the event for prizes such as honorable mention where the duelists vote on who they enjoyed watching the most and most entertaining duel where both duelists get a prize.....this is depending on the outcome.

I'm not saying you can't have an opinion. I'm saying that there is a way to have an opinion without being negative.

As for the reporting part of things. I already planned on having video's of the final duels and post the bracket with who won/lost. Andrasta is more than welcome to be there if she wants to watch. She's also offered a donation so that will get her in there with the other contributors even if she doesn't want to report.
Hi Alexei,

The donation from Goodman's Rune Library certainly still stands. I feel it is important to support Atlantic Community Events in my capacity as Librarian of GRL.

I would love to attend as long as I do not have a christmas party to attend (let's hope not). If I am able to attend, I will be reporting. I am excited about the video taping of the duels. I think that will be real interesting. When we held them in Felucca in the old days they were always over too fast. I look forward to being able to watch the techniques at will.

If I am not able to attend, I will help you get them posted here as News. I still am waiting to get this Event on the front page and will contact you as soon as I have more details or it is posted for you.

I look forward to working with you on this event and future events. I know how much work these things can be. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. We'll talk at least once or twice before the event ok?...

Cheers,

Andra
GRL

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't have an entry fee then you could end up with dozens of people entering. That would be a nightmare. Plus how would you raise a good jackpot?

Anyone can run a tournament. If someone wants to run one with no entry fee then do so.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Allrighty....

For the Moment i would like you all to stop fighting about this.
We have all read all the Concerns and Questions.

But untill further Notice from above We will consider this a public Event.
So i would like to see some Entries now and Participants.

As soon as i get official Guidelines i will post them up in the stickies and ya all can get the scoop there.

so behave or i will get the lock out :)

FionanPac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking after reading you guys go back and forth that maybe to make the playing field even more fair and less item based have everyone wear a sorcerers suit and let them wear jewels/talisman/spell book of their choosing. Might make it more interesting since mana isnt regen'd supper fast like with most crazy mage suits... just a thought

B

Bouche835

I just can't wait. I am so excited to be apart of this. I have only pvp for about 6 months and I am on the list and I am one of the people who don't have lots of gold, however I am still entering it because I know this would a great event. I also want to see how I fair against some of the greatest mages in the game. I know I am going to get rocked and diced and killed in the first match but that does not matter to me.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't have an entry fee then you could end up with dozens of people entering. That would be a nightmare. Plus how would you raise a good jackpot?

Anyone can run a tournament. If someone wants to run one with no entry fee then do so.
JC, I've seen a number of events where the organizers arrange for prizes and there is no fee to participate. In fact, if you read the messages in this thread, Andrasta has donated 3mil for prize gold and Alexi has indicated he is tossing in some of his own gold and goodies. An entry fee is not the only way to get prize money.

As for having dozens of people enter... I'm not sure why everyone thinks that would be so bad. Isn't more people at the event, better? Doesn't that show it's popularity? Different classes for different levels of skill. Perhaps even have more than one battle going on at the same time. Maybe even "doubles" tournaments where a Legendary Mage is teamed with a random Grand Master Mage and they oppose a Legendary/GM team. Like a tennis match?

And yes, I am developing ideas for a tournament that would include the ideas I've been listing right here. Yesterday, I tested Naked Mage Duels and will be posting a report. True, the battles are quicker... but then that takes care of the issue with multiple participants, right?

Heck, instead of putting a lot of my stuff up for sale at my new vendor house I might start wrapping it up for prizes. ;) See... easy.

Safe Travels, Sam

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking after reading you guys go back and forth that maybe to make the playing field even more fair and less item based have everyone wear a sorcerers suit and let them wear jewels/talisman/spell book of their choosing. Might make it more interesting since mana isnt regen'd supper fast like with most crazy mage suits... just a thought

Exactly! I'm working on this exact concept in my testing for a Naked Mages Tournament. I've found that even naked resists vary between characters. Lord Raven is a 41/41/41/41/41 naked. So perhaps having a set of "tournament suits" with no mods and equal resists would be the thing.

Um... not everyone has a sorcer's suit though.

Safe Travels, Sam

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Allrighty....

For the Moment i would like you all to stop fighting about this.
We have all read all the Concerns and Questions...
Lady Aalia, I realize that as a gentle librarian, you might look at these impassioned discussions as fighting. Perhaps take a trip over to UHall... then you'll see the difference?

Now, back to the library with you lass! The men are talking here. :mf_prop:

*Sam lights a cigar, grabs his pint of ale and heads back to the corner table where several mages are having an animated discussion.*

Safe Travels, Sam

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*whacks Sam with a frying pan*

Men talking my @$%^....

oh and Quick update still no official word from Stratics :p

T

Tazar

While we have not received "official word", I did notice that it is now listed and approved in the "Events Calendar". Since I could not see it to approve it, then I assume that an admin approved it.

*Sits back to await further official updates*

Alexei

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That would not work.

Not everyone has that suit and I'm not going to just toss one on each duelist and hope that they are honest enough to give it back.

I am actually considering holding this tournament on test center so nobody will complain about who has the best suit but I'm still unsure.

G

GFY

I always love it when I see folks say stuff like that... it kinda reminds me of the commercials on TV where the folks make $10,000 working part time weekends. ;)

I guess you're talking about a full 24hr day? Do you camp the dungeon the entire day chasing everyone else out? I'm not saying that to be rude to you, but that one room there is pretty popular with tamers and fighters both. Those ice fiends don't spawn that fast either.

Let's just say I'm pretty skeptical about any solo character making 5 mil in a "day", killing Ice Fiends. I've spend a lot of time hunting Deamons in Ilysh, they have more gold, there are more at one time, and you also get the paragons... and I've yet to walk away with anything close to what you're talking about.

Course if I've been hunting them for an hour or more and someone else shows up, I tell them politely that "I've bagged my limit... the field is yours." ...and recall home.

Safe Travels, Sam
First off I hunt in Felucca. I make over 200k an hour and I don't chase anyone away. The spawn rate here is instantaneous. You kill one and another one spawns right away. I usually have to "lock" one of the 2 Fiends that spawn here in the secret room so the two of them don't overwhelm me. I sometimes bring a friend along and we both kill one of the Fiends. You can also cast 2 EV's near the entrance and attack both Fiends. This method kills Fiends so fast I have a hard time looting all the corpses.

Realistically it will take more then one day, however even dodging the occasional pk that wanders in, it won't take much more then 2 days.

G

GFY

"

Safe Travels, Sam
I have ZERO 120 powerscrolls on my pvp mage. I have not spent anywhere near 100 million gold on my equipment. The highest skills on my mage are 115. I have "trained" myself in the play of a mage and I can trade blows with just about about anyone. I have about a 50/50 success rate in pvp against all classes. I do however have problems with necro mages. I am a firm believer that it's more the player behind them template, and how well they play that template, then how much a player spends to equip themselves.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That would not work.

Not everyone has that suit and I'm not going to just toss one on each duelist and hope that they are honest enough to give it back.

I am actually considering holding this tournament on test center so nobody will complain about who has the best suit but I'm still unsure.
If you cap HPR and stick to the rules you've listed...

the suit will not make a difference, unless your fresh off the newbie boat.

15%SDI, 40%LMC, 8+MR, 100%LRC is all you should need to compete in this tourney...

FionanPac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like i said it was just an idea... I don't think you should do it on Test Center do it on Atlantic you are the event organizer it is your rules. If people want to participate then then will if they don't and want to pancake about it they don't need to show up. I think its cool that you are even doing one the game needs more people setting up fun events.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I assume that an admin approved it...
*The peasants begin to murmur amongst themselves....*

I guess that I have to admit that since I asked for a clarification in a Stratics Staff Forum and there has been no reply... I wonder why I spent my time on this issue. Whoever approved the event for the calendar should have added a post to the Staff Forum to clarify the policy.

Safe Travels, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.