• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Atlantic Community Center Proposal, Please Read and Comment..

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posted at the request of several members of the Atlantic community, with a few minor changes to the introduction.

Greetings!

Many of you have seen Mesanna’s Blank Check Thread. The following is a proposal based on the discussion and general consensus reached in that thread. We would like those interested in this project to have one more opportunity to give constructive feedback before this proposal submitted to Mesanna. If you have proposed changes, feedback, comment or otherwise, please post in this thread. A revised document with the proposed changes agreed on by the community here will be incorporated into this document and the entire proposal will be sent to Mesanna.

Please keep all comments constructive, any criticism should be backed up by your own ideas in making the project successful.

Please keep all discussion and suggestions on topic and focused on this project and the various needs of the community.

Please keep in mind that this project is in no way related to the "Atlantic Mage Tower" discussion, please keep that discussion out of this thread.

This thread is open to EVERYONE on the Atlantic Server, if you have a character here your input is requested. If Mesanna decides to build this for our server we want it to actually be successful and an active part of our community!

------------------------------------------------

Atlantic Community Center Proposal
Ideas submitted by the Atlantic Community

Introduction​

The purpose of this proposal is to relate the summary of ideas submitted by the Atlantic community to Ultima Online’s Associate Producer, Mesanna, as well as Atlantic’s Event Moderator team. The goal of the community center is to create a centralized location where players of all play styles can gather casually and receive all the benefits of a uniquely designed and supported town environment.

The proposal will include a newly suggested site, a new theme, a list of core features that are being requested, and a few special suggestions and requests that we ask be considered. The proposal will not include any ideas, suggestions, or requests for the Atlantic Mage Tower memorial project.

New Site and Theme​

The popular decision was to step away from a mage themed tower and start fresh with a new site for the project and a new them. The proposed theme is a combination of a mariner’s guild, hunter’s lodge, and adventurer’s guild. The site being suggested to accommodate the new theme is located in Vesper in the Trammel facet:

The in-game coordinates of the “You” marker are 65o 50’N, 116o 43’E.
This site and theme was chosen for several reasons:

• The site allows for easy expansion out into the ocean.

• The site would be located over deep water allowing for community net tosses.

• The site fits in with the dock, bridge, and canal setup of Vesper.

• Friendly and inviting theme. An “all are welcome” theme.

• The adventurer’s guild fits in with the feel of Vesper.

• The nautical aspect of the theme takes advantage of the upcoming booster pack.

• The overall theme takes advantage of the recently released treasure map changes.

Core Features

The following is a list of requested core features. These requests are designed to simulate a Luna environment, where everything a player could need outside of his house and in a town environment is within the reach of a few steps.

• A legacy large brick house, owned by Mesanna, to serve as the meeting hall and headquarters of the project. To be decorated by either a) Mesanna and the EM team, or b) a public interior design contest.

• Extended docks and bridges around the core house to aesthetically integrate the site in with the natural look and feel of Vesper as well as provide a convenient location for public net tosses.

• An Event Moderator Announcer.

• A functioning ankh for karma locking, tithing, and resurrections.

• A lvl 6 arcane circle for spellweavers to create focuses.

• A stable master, hitching post, or small stable.

• A banker and/or a small bank with open space to bank sit and buy/sell items.

• A tavern area to provide a place to sit and chat as well as attract role-players.

• A small garden or chapel of the Virtues for weddings. Possibly on a separately created island with Mesanna’s creativity guiding the way.

• An innkeeper or small inn for safe and quick logging at the site. Additional thoughts for this were:

o Renaming and re-decorating the NPC building named “Vesper Youth Hostel” to fit the theme and incorporating it into the site, since it is already Vesper’s Inn. This building is located directly to the left of the “You” marker on the map above.​

• A separate building/area containing all NPC vendors that a player could need as well as all static crafting add-ons that a player could need (forge, anvil, soul forge, etc.). Additional suggestions regarding this were;

o A public woodworker’s bench. If possible, a forge that gives a blacksmithing bonus, a spinning wheel that gives a tailoring bonus, etc.

o A copy of the Queen’s Soulforge (retaining Gargoyle loyalty requirement). The Queen’s Soulforge near a bank and other NPC vendors would serve as a main attraction for the site.​

• A separate building/area for a teleportation hub to conveniently travel to more commonly used locations on shard. Proposed ideas for this include:

o A moongate.

o A crystal portal for easy travel to any other town bank or moongate. Possibly with a unique graphic from other crystal portals that fits the theme of the site.

o A small area with gates/teleporters to and from the shard’s other major activity hubs. This will facilitate a way for people who use all locations to come easily to the community center. New players will have access to all the shard’s major activity centers using this network, which will make it easier to get help from veterans.​

The locations are:
Luna. Malas, 96o 52’N, 22o 4’W
West Britain Bank. Trammel, 5o 58’S, 6o 28’E
New Haven. Trammel, 84o 38’S, 153o 4’E

o Additional gates/teleporters to other community centers:
Britain Fairgrounds. Trammel: 24o 10’S, 0o 16’E. Also at the fairground location, we request that the tent be repaired and a static hitching post be added by the stable area.​

Skara Brae Community Center. Trammel: 45o 47’S, 49o 13’W
Atlantic Fairgrounds (Luna). Malas: 88o 20’N, 25o 31’W

o An area for the EMs to create gates when events are active and static gates/teleporters to common EM event starting points (Castle British and the Britain EM Hall for example). These gate locations can be updated by the EMs as they start new arcs and different locations are used as starting points.

o Additional gates to each of Atlantic’s Town Banner sites:

Toad Town: Malas, 111o 11’N, 18o 33’W
Shinduago Charnnagen: Malas, 15o 44’N, 56o 40’E
Charnel Hill (Order of the Ebon Skull): Malas, 33o 9’N, 46o 41’E
City of Sanctus: Malas, 19o 0’N, 19o 28’W
Falling Waters Fortress: Malas, 3o 41’S, 0o 46’W
Stonegate City: Malas, 108o 38’N, 21o 1’E
Society of the Blue Crane: Tokuno, 40o 9’N, 41o 54’W
Honor’s Landing (Legion of Honor): Trammel, 99o 40’N, 23o 12’W
Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood: Trammel, 50o 5’N, 33o 23’W
UWF Township: Trammel, 79o 0’S, 38o 36’E
Winterbreeze Village: Trammel, 61o 20’N, 45o 54’E
Blackrock: Felucca, 166o 43’S, 138o 15’W
Blackmarsh: Felucca, 41o 35’N, 41o 12’E
Mystic Garden Township: Malas, 108o38'N 41o16'E

o A gate/teleporter to Goodman’s Rune Library: Tokuno, 38o 30’N, 38o 48’W
And Other player run establishments, provided the EM team is willing to take applications for gates.

o Additional gates proposed for the future: “Fish Market” in the upcoming booster pack and the dueling arenas.

Special Requested Considerations​

Here will be a list of special ideas that we are asking to be considered for the project. These ideas include aspects that will require support and/or upkeep by Mesanna and the EM team.

• A return rune bag/box similar to the ones used at the release of Age of Shadows to reach the special housing locations in Malas. When a player drops a rune into one of the bags, it marks a rune to the specified location. If these mechanics are flexible at all, it was suggested that a return rune box be added somewhere so that non-mages could drop blank recall runes into it and the box would mark a location at the community center.

• Unique spawning items themed to the site in crates throughout the docks. Another suggestion is a static vendor that sells unique memorabilia related to the site.

• An EM sponsored naming contest.

• An EM sponsored lore writing contest for hunter’s lodge/guild.

• Very theoretical: When the dueling pits are implemented, having one of Atlantic’s placed at the site.

• A Hall of Fame/Hall of Heroes for EM contest winners, dedicated role-players and guilds at EM events, tournament winners, displayed EM items, and trophies taken from key EM villains. We realize that there is an EM hall with similar properties. However, it is in a very remote location and can’t be properly appreciated by most of the population. It would be great to see winners and prominent event goers recognized in a very public place.

• A group similar in spirit to the Baja Town Guard setup where an EM character is the head of the organization and player guilds can become officially recognized participants.

• An inaugural event once the site is done with memorabilia and a tour.

Conclusion

The players of the Atlantic Shard would like to thank both Mesanna and the Event Moderator team for both allowing this project to happen and for their continued patience while ideas were gathered. We realize that every wish that we have can not be granted and only ask for consideration regarding some of the ideas. We once again thank you.

Sincerely,

The Atlantic Shard

T

Tazar

I have fully supported this for over a year now. We know that we are asking for a lot and that some of it will not be able to be done - but since we don't know exactly what is possible, it is better to ask then not to.

Please keep all comments constructive, any criticism should be backed up by your own ideas in making the project successful.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I’ll repost my response from the run away thread… because it was overlooked in the storm.

----------------

Sorry if this was covered already… but would there be a moongate fixed inside Luna to get to this area? Like the green moongates, separated from the standard blue public gate.

Even when we had so many more members of our community, I used to live in Vesper for all my banking and NPC vendor needs. It didn’t have much in the way of traffic. Unless there was a direct and clear moongate like next to the actual bank inside Luna or by the stables, I’m afraid more people then not would forget it. I’d also do one at New Haven and West Brit bank for that matter.

I also know we’ve been waiting for a town banner/establishment teleporter hub for a long time. It sure would help all of us with opening doors to our community. Can't wait to see what comes of this idea. :)

Thanks for including the Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood on the banner list. :) You may have overlooked Lady Kero’s “Mystic Gardens”… the banner was done just a few short months ago.

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was there for some of the original meetings and loved the idea of a main meeting place like Brit use to be that also incorporated many more reasons to use the local. I know that Luna sorta serves this purpose now, but it is a cramped and unappealing local to gather in and it has never had the draw that west Brit bank did. I fully support trying to bring community back into the game and love the idea of adding in the teles to the shard banner towns since it is impossible to find them any other way and I for one would love to check them all out!

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

LadyKeroOfAtl

UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the idea.

Obviously, Some things may not be capable but the generalized idea of giving players a way to get to more community locations and an area outside of Luna would benefit everyone.
A lot of UO players don't run fast systems so Luna creates lag for them but most players are using that bank to sell/buy items so they're kind of out of luck.

Andrasta, you amaze me. You do so much more for the shard then people realize, Thank you.

D

Draken-Korin

Point well take Tazar. I consider Andra a dear friend, has been for many years and I apologize for hijacking this thread. She puts ALOT of hard work (she knows I think too much at times) into what she does here in Sosaria. I fully support 90 percent of what Andrasta does. *smile*

MollyAtlantic

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I supported the idea when it came up the last time. A separate area to spark roleplay and new interests. I am very glad that we are not trying to do something for just one group or type of player. This way we can all get exposure to everyone in a social setting and make connections to those that play like we (meaning the reader) do and interact with others that don't. We will see people trying different styles and finding new avenues within the same old game.

Posted at the request of several members of the Atlantic community, with a few minor changes to the introduction.

Greetings!

• A Hall of Fame/Hall of Heroes for EM contest winners, dedicated role-players and guilds at EM events, tournament winners, displayed EM items, and trophies taken from key EM villains. We realize that there is an EM hall with similar properties. However, it is in a very remote location and can’t be properly appreciated by most of the population. It would be great to see winners and prominent event goers recognized in a very public place.
I would like to suggest that you move the Vesper Museum to the Trammel Shard and combine the two ideas. I think it would be much more exposure and a new appreciation for what is there and the actual history of the shard as well.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Point well take Tazar. I consider Andra a dear friend, has been for many years and I apologize for hijacking this thread. She puts ALOT of hard work (she knows I think too much at times) into what she does here in Sosaria. I fully support 90 percent of what Andrasta does. *smile*
*blank stare*

what is that all about ? how is it supposed to be constructive ?

M

Miss Ghost

I think the whole idea is is wonderful and will hopefully bring a new vibrancy to our 'play time', meeting old friends and making new ones. The social side has always been one of my favourite aspects of the game and having a focal point to meet folks and join in on various fun things is most appealing to me.

Thank you Andrasta sweetie for being determined to revive and push through this project. You are a lovely lady and a constant inspiration.

*huggles*

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay Miss Ghost you still around :hug:

Well I also think its the best idea ever, maybe its 10 years too late but you got it all pinned down I think ! It will be nice to have an official place for roleplay !

Maybe, if you guys had time... I would like to comemorate the passing away of a great community leader who has been protecting vesper since forever. My good friend Bismark of VEW. I'm sure many of you knew him... may he rest in peace.

A statue would not be too much asked I think and I am willing to make a speech in his honor.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I would like to comemorate the passing away of a great community leader who has been protecting vesper since forever. My good friend Bismark of VEW. I'm sure many of you knew him... may he rest in peace.

As for the community center, I go with the flow as usual, don't much matter to me either way.

As for the above, I just found out a couple weeks ago about Bismark's passing. I would definately be in for anything comemorating him. May he rest in peace indeed.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This looks awesome Andra, looks like a great project and a serious undertaking. Thank you for posting this. I'll gladly support this in any way that I can.

B

Bill Gates OSD

I fully support this idea and offer my thanks to my dear friend Andrasta for pursuing this. :)

aulbrey

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i fully support this idea aswell everything sounds real good i especially like these two items the best though

• A tavern area to provide a place to sit and chat as well as attract role-players.

• A small garden or chapel of the Virtues for weddings

:shots::beer:

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would it be posible to Do Like a Post Office Like Place to send people messages Like W.O.W has..I know alot people dont like useing ICQ or other instant message systems. I think would really work good for the RP Community.

T

Tazar

The ARPC actually setup a mail service that uses a couple of players to deliver the mail, and the in-game mail boxes placed at member houses for delivery. I am not sure how much it has been used though.

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe, if you guys had time... I would like to comemorate the passing away of a great community leader who has been protecting vesper since forever. My good friend Bismark of VEW. I'm sure many of you knew him... may he rest in peace.

A statue would not be too much asked I think and I am willing to make a speech in his honor.
I Own The House in the Old KSL & VEW Guild house spot. I used to be in KSL & talked to Lord Hammerthrower & his guild alot & it saddens me to hear Bismark passed =(

Chrysallis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so here it goes for what it's worth. I don't post, ever on stratics, as you can see. 95% of what is posted here is trash. Then I come across a link on my ICQ dear Andrasta which made me curious, so I investigated. You see I liked Andrasta, she has a lot of integrity, so I figured anything she was supporting would at least merit my time to investigate. Low and behold finally, an idea of merit, something which might help a game which I have been playing for 8 years mind you not so much for love of the game, but for love of the PEOPLE that I have met on this game. The game itself in someways has become tired even though the EM's and Messana do try to give it injections now and then of adrenaline.

This idea would promote community, which in my opinion, is a good thing, it is the reason I still play this game. I have been with ODE for over six years, it is the people that help make up the game, the community, not just the mechanics. In a time when it's all about the gold, or the items that you can get, this would be something that would shift the focus back to....the game and the people. It would show some of the players out there that have never done something like a net toss, or participated in a treasure hunt, etc a chance to see there is more things to the game than what artifact you can get. It would help them meet a more diverse group of people than what they see running by them, and a give other groups a chance to interact more. So here is a big thumbs up :thumbsup: for this idea. Well done all and :cheerleader::cheerleader:

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima has a history of centralized teleportation. You may remember that Ultima 7 Serpent Isle (1993) had a teleport room that took you to locations all over that world:

Personally, I love Andrasta's idea. :thumbup: Maybe once the house of teleports is set up, we could have a contest to name it. I think the the original name for the Blue Crane Portal was Nexus. Whatever it's called, the name needs to instantly tell players what it is. (I always think of it as the Bus Station.)

Ack! Tazar, I think I posted this in the wrong thread. Please feel free to delete this post.

T

Tazar

Ack! Tazar, I think I posted this in the wrong thread. Please feel free to delete this post.
A part of the community center is a public teleport hub - so I think your post fits here - and in the other thread - very well.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you everyone for the support and kind words but I cannot take credit for the Community Center ideas. They are a culmination of many different people and sections of the Atlantic Community who came together to propose the Vesper location and contents of the proposal. My part hopefully will be the Bus Station! I've seriously spent hours trying to come up with a name without success as you can see.

My own idea would consist of an open amphitheatre in the Roman style to have plays and hold events. Earlier this year Baja held a play and it was so well done, one of the best thing I've ever seen Players do. I'd love to see more of these types of events on our shard with or without the theatre. Some sort of crowd control would be appreciated so that the players holding the event could minimize disruptions. (Unlikely I know)

I have been involved quietly in many community related projects but can only take responsibility for moving this off of the EM Forum and on to this forum to garner it the support it deserves. To that end soon there will be an ingame campaign and hopefully more positive support such that is posted here already.

I attended the EM Meet and Greet last week and will post more this weekend as to our next steps of action.

Thanks again! Every post helps our cause!

Andrasta

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A part of the community center is a public teleport hub
Perfect name! Even new players will quickly learn that the Hub will take them to many more interesting & useful places than the moongate system.

No offense to our hard working devs, but our player base is better qualified to envision community. We're more loyal (nobody pays us to be here,) have been here longer (my beta CD is in it's mailer, postmarked Jul'97,) and are not concerned about what management thinks (we pay management, not vice versa.) We care only about our game experience and we know what we want.

T

Tazar

I'd vote for the "Nexus" name - but that might give our thief forum moderator a big-head ego boost...

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as there are no other houses near and being close to the ocean, that it have an area like the Floating Dock where ships can't sit and block- this is something I could probably get behind.

G

Golden Fang Casino

I would like the see The Golden Fang Casino added to that list possibly. We are in the process of applying for a town banner currently, but I would hope a town banner would not be the the sole reason to include a town. If i recall many of those towns are very inactive and should not be included just based on the fact they have a banner. If you want to kill interest in the town tele hub, then have half the portals go to places dead and gone.

Ace-

L

Lightningstrike

I agree that town banners should not be included just because they exist especially when most of them are and have been inactive. What I do support is how about banners for the main guilds of Atlantic in the hall of heroes. And I am not talking about the has been guilds who may still be active but no longer carry any weight or guilds that were but now only have a few people in them and are no longer factors in the game. I am talking about the current guilds of Atlantic that have stood the test of time and are still very much active with healthy memberships. I really do believe that the guild leaders of these current guilds have done great and deserve that their guilds be represented and recognized by the game. Please let me know if I am wrong in this request.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Just landed back on Atlantic soil from my travels to the far off land of Sakura for their Rares fest (which is also another aspect of the game play offered)

It would be wonderful to see items on display in a local area of our past history and story arcs. Imagine taking your young players on a tour and teaching them not only how to gain skill and farm for items, but giving them a more complete access to all the game offers in a central hub

Access is the key and this proposal includes everything for both new players and vets alike

We at Toad Town have expressed our need for this hub many times over the years and thank the Dev's and Mesanna for this opportunity and wish them Godspeed in its execution