• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ATI grfx card guru needed

• Thread starter Beastmaster
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Beastmaster

Need some input from someone that really knows what they are doing with respect to ATI cards. I'm looking for the highest performance, lowest glitz and glamour settings for both CC and EC. My card in particular is an HD3650.

Code:
Driver Packaging Version	8.632.3-090722a-085597C-HP	
Catalyst™ Version	09.7	
2D Driver Version	8.01.01.921	
Direct3D Version	8.14.10.0678	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.8787	
Catalyst™ Control Center Version	2009.0722.2143.37126	
Graphics Chipset	ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650	
Graphics Bus Capability	PCI Express 2.0	
Maximum Bus Setting	PCI Express 2.0 x16	
BIOS Version	010.088.000.031	
BIOS Part Number	BR30706-001	
BIOS Date	2008/10/28	
Memory Size	512 MB	
Memory Type	DDR2	
Core Clock in MHz	600 MHz	
Memory Clock in MHz	500 MHz
Running 1440x900 at 16bit

I have no idea what the best performance settings would be for AA, AAA, AF, AI, or MIPMAP. Do the AVIVO video settings have any bearing?

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Need some input from someone that really knows what they are doing woth respect to ATI cards. I'm looking for the highest performance, lowest glitz and glamour settings for both CC and EC. My card in particular is an HD3650.

Code:
Driver Packaging Version	8.632.3-090722a-085597C-HP	
Catalyst™ Version	09.7	
2D Driver Version	8.01.01.921	
Direct3D Version	8.14.10.0678	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.8787	
Catalyst™ Control Center Version	2009.0722.2143.37126	
Graphics Chipset	ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650	
Graphics Bus Capability	PCI Express 2.0	
Maximum Bus Setting	PCI Express 2.0 x16	
BIOS Version	010.088.000.031	
BIOS Part Number	BR30706-001	
BIOS Date	2008/10/28	
Memory Size	512 MB	
Memory Type	DDR2	
Core Clock in MHz	600 MHz	
Memory Clock in MHz	500 MHz
Running 1440x900 at 16bit

I have no idea what the best performance settings would be for AA, AAA, AF, AI, or MIPMAP. Do the AVIVO video settings have any bearing?
hey nice card. is it set to default settings now ? if so how does it look to you ? at that rez and even with the EC, it would take some doing to tax that card IMHO. avivo is simply the HD out section to a big screen tv, used as example. not all avivo is VIVO which is both Video IN and Video OUT, like All in Wonder cards for example. i just realized this is a laptop... no matter. You can play with the settings and compare the looks/performance in games. IMHO there is no reason why AF and AA should not be upped a lil bit. if it stutters, lags or skips, you know you've gone too high as the GPU is trying to produce the most insane image for you, slowing everything down.
the following article http://tinyurl.com/ybhxntc explains some basics and shows examples of different settings. you can't ruin it by playing with the settings. also don't think about clocking that card.

B

Beastmaster

hey nice card. is it set to default settings now ? if so how does it look to you ? at that rez and even with the EC, it would take some doing to tax that card IMHO.
Running Win7 home premium 64 bit and both CC and EC are laggy as hell. Nothing wrong with the net connection between my wireless router and the world as my old Dell XP laptop has no issues with CC. But it wouldn't run EC. Got this new fancy HP with upgraded video and my game play sucks. Yeah I can run EC, but its a little worse than CC, with respect to lag.

I sometimes see leftover pieces of images when the screen has to redraw, like for instance the curled portion of the scroll from an npc vendor menu. That's what led me to believe there are video issues. Unfortunately with brand name laptops you often are stuck waiting on the brand to put out a new driver. The chip manufacturers won't typically supply them to users like they do for desktop cards.

Oh, and I think everything is set to default.

B

bjornef

i just set preformance to max and evry thing work fine to me only problem i got is i curently cant get in to game

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Running Win7 home premium 64 bit and both CC and EC are laggy as hell. Nothing wrong with the net connection between my wireless router and the world as my old Dell XP laptop has no issues with CC. But it wouldn't run EC. Got this new fancy HP with upgraded video and my game play sucks. Yeah I can run EC, but its a little worse than CC, with respect to lag.

I sometimes see leftover pieces of images when the screen has to redraw, like for instance the curled portion of the scroll from an npc vendor menu. That's what led me to believe there are video issues. Unfortunately with brand name laptops you often are stuck waiting on the brand to put out a new driver. The chip manufacturers won't typically supply them to users like they do for desktop cards.

Oh, and I think everything is set to default.
you play full screen mode or cropped? proprietary drivers do infact differ from the manufactureres sometimes, but i would uninstall your current 9.7 catalyst and down and install the 9.9 to see if that helps any.

just curious how many processes are you running while uo is running ?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

B

Beastmaster

you play full screen mode or cropped? proprietary drivers do infact differ from the manufactureres sometimes, but i would uninstall your current 9.7 catalyst and down and install the 9.9 to see if that helps any.

just curious how many processes are you running while uo is running ?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx
Playing in windowed mode, CC. Running about 76 processes and using about 32% of physical memory. When sitting at the login screen cpu usage is around 50%, after login drops to about 25%. Even with those numbers holding steady its sluggish.

I recalled to a town with no player houses and tried walking around. I counted my steps before each pause. 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 7, 2.

That's alot of pausing for an area with few dynamic objects.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Playing in windowed mode, CC. Running about 76 processes and using about 32% of physical memory. When sitting at the login screen cpu usage is around 50%, after login drops to about 25%. Even with those numbers holding steady its sluggish.

I recalled to a town with no player houses and tried walking around. I counted my steps before each pause. 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 2, 7, 2.

That's alot of pausing for an area with few dynamic objects.
im running 64 ultimate, 46 processes with stratics open and a Del cd playing on a Q6600 with 6GB and a 8800gts. im not saying cutting all that oem bloat and crap in msconfig will fix this, but 76 is completely unacceptable imho. does this 'lag' show up in any other games or anything else that pushes your system ? is dvd playback on the laptop choppy too ? does it studder at a lower rez like ... 1280x1024/800 or 1360x768 ?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with RawHeadRex. Seventy-six processes is too many. I keep my win7 machines to less than 49 processes and I keep winXP to less than 40. That's with anti-virus and anti-spyware running. One of my computers is running win7 and a PowerColor HD 3650. It's a dual-core Athlon at 2.23 ghz with 2GB memory. This computer runs both clients smoothly. The graphics card is not overclocked, it's running at factory default settings.

You need to trim down some of that overhead and install the latest Catalyst drivers, currently 10.2. I'm running those on three computers with no problems. My HD 3650 can be overclocked a little bit using the Catalyst Control Center. You could try bumping it up 10-20% and see if it's stable.

Also, you mentioned you upgraded the graphics card. Did you uninstall the previous drivers. Installing new drivers over old ones can cause problems.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
think he bought a new laptop and instead of getting the default card that comes with it, he opted for the 'upgraded' video card offered on the sites custom upgrade options.

B

Beastmaster

Let me clear up a little confusion. This video card is standard in this laptop. I did not upgrade it. HP has a bazillion models. I can trim out some of those processes I'm sure. I just didn't see the need when there are only at most 6 or 7 showing any cpu usage at all. I'll see if I can find the 10.2 Catalyst. I downloaded the 9.9 yesterday but haven't installed them yet.

Processor is an AMD Turion X2 dual core at 2.20ghz with 4GB ram.

B

Beastmaster

Trimmed the processes down to 45, no help.

Running around town I was still stutter stepping constantly. Then I had a moment of enlightment. Every time I stuttered it was when I encountered an NPC and saw their name appear. I went into UO options and unchecked the 'show approaching player names' option. Now I can run just fine.

So, I have to make a choice between stutter stepping or not seeing approaching names. Guess I won't see what's coming.

EDIT: Well that wasn't much of a solution. I think it helped, but only after the initial pass through an area. Once I entered a new area the stuttering started again as it loaded images I guess. Guess I'll try the driver update now.

B

Beastmaster

10.2 package would not install any new display driver.

9.9 package installed this:

Code:
Driver Packaging Version	8.65-090813a-087751E-ATI	
Catalyst™ Version	09.7	
2D Driver Version	8.01.01.949	
Direct3D Version	8.14.10.0697	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.8918	
Catalyst™ Control Center Version	2009.0813.2131.36817
It was no help at all either.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10.2 package would not install any new display driver.

9.9 package installed this:

Code:
Driver Packaging Version	8.65-090813a-087751E-ATI	
Catalyst™ Version	09.7	
2D Driver Version	8.01.01.949	
Direct3D Version	8.14.10.0697	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.8918	
Catalyst™ Control Center Version	2009.0813.2131.36817
It was no help at all either.
huh bummer man, sorry. page skipping and all the other uo options tried ? in the ati control panel thing, "default" settings show greyed out "zero's" or other numbers for various settings ?