• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Armour ratings

G

A spinoff from another thread that made me think, I thought deserved a thread of its own.

My char has just hit level 30 with 1908 armour. I've got no idea whether this is as good as it could be at this level or not.

Is there any formula, guidelines or list somewhere that tells you what level of armour you should aim at when you are at each level? I've had this stuff for a few levels now and am probably due for an upgrade of some description.

I'm just guessing that, as the monsters get higher level, your armour needs to get better for your attacks to have the same effect?

aj

B

Bo Riddler

One of the reasons I personally don't spend much gold at the auction house on armor/weapons is because here in wow, armor and other gear is level based. Just as soon as you can put that new breast plate on that requires level 30 to wear, you will get a great newer piece of armor that will drop that requires levels 32. So you trudge along in your pretty good breast plate waiting to hit level 32 to wear the new stuff.

Each player is different. Between my wife and I, I seem to be more aware of the gear I have, and I am always trying to improve it, wether by buying new stuff or having my alts watch for better drops on their runs that would work for an alt of my own. She on the other hand is way less material than I am.

In fact, once when she was about 55th level, we got lucky and had a nice new pair of mail shoulders drop for her hunter she was on. So we looked at her old set of shoulders, you know, she hadn't updated her shoulder pads since 39th level? She doesn't care because she takes different things out of the game.

The other night, on my 63rd Rogue, I was standing near the mailbox in Zanglemarsh (sp?) and another Rogue approached me and said, man, for a Rogue, the leather your wearing is all wrong. Its Shaman based, and you want Stamina and Agility gear, not Spirit.

I told him it was a drop that replaced a far weaker set of armor that was far from being good. Mainly the two of us wait for things to drop or rely on my main to leather craft us new mail/leather armor. But being Dragonscale in leatherworking, my main can't fashion decent leather for my Rogue. We just jump in and have fun.

But yes, the drops from monsters magic wise compare to the level of the foe or a little less. If your fighting 30th level monsters, they will be dropping things from level 22-28 level range on average. No science used there, only my experiences on item drops.

My armor is I am sure far below average too, but as long as I am battling things of my range, I normally do ok.

Hope this helps some.

Bo

G

Actually, I think I see where aj is going, and he raises a good point.

First, we all know that WoW is gear-based more than anything else, particularly in PvP. That's why prices are so high at the Auction House with advanced characters buying stuff for twink alts so they can pwn on the battlefields. I don't think I can count the times I've had people run up to my character, pause (while inspecting the gear) then up pops the duel flag.

What's missing, from Stratics and from Blizzard, extensive as these sites are, is a kind of matrix showing a relationship between levels, classes (in this forum, warriors) and armor. If such a matrix exists, I certainly have no clue where to begin looking for it.

aj's armor is basically 1900 at level 30. Is that average, above average, or below average? One would think, with all the add-ons circulating, someone would be able to write one that a)took a class as an input, b) took a level as an input, and c) searched a server for all candidates and came up with an average.

I would expect, for example, that my characters on Skywall would all be slightly above average. I never buy armor at the Auction House, but where a piece of armor may not drop for one class by a certain level, it may drop when I get one of the other eight to that same level. I have character sheets on all my characters showing exactly what they have, so when something drops for another character, I can see whether to a) send it to one of the other characters, b) put it up for auction to make a few extra coins, or c) send to my enchanter to be DE'd.

So, know you of such a matrix or add-on? (I don't do add-ons either, so I'm rather add-on illiterate).

B

Bo Riddler

<blockquote><hr>

I have character sheets on all my characters showing exactly what they have, so when something drops for another character, I can see whether to a) send it to one of the other characters, b) put it up for auction to make a few extra coins, or c) send to my enchanter to be DE'd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is amazing! Really? Are you an old pen and paper D&amp;D player? or do you mean you have a good idea of what your alts have?

Damn, that is a smart idea!

Bo

G

First, we need to clear the air about one thing. Skywall is my main. The other servers are my alts. None of my characters are alts. They are all mains whom I play with equal intensity when I play them. Or perhaps another way to look at it is that whatever character I happen to be playing at the moment is my main.

Now, to answer your questions . . .

Am I an old pen and paper D&amp;D player. Sir, I still have my original boxed set. It was a lot of fun initially. I got tired of it when the only groups I could find either

--took an hour and a half to fight a single monster, spending the time determining which body part of which character was hit for how much damage
--had dungeons with monsters who died of fright as soon as they saw you and with more treasure than you could carry
--had dungeons with monsters against whom small-yield nuclear weapons had no effect
--had players who got into their "role" hours before the game even started

And what I mean is I know exactly what my Skywall characters have at all times. I have created tailored forms for each and I pencil in what they have equipped and where their professionals skill levels are. I erase and update as that changes. When the paper gets too worn or has too many beer stains, I print out a new one and transfer the information.

I play for fun, but I also like to play efficiently since I only get a chance to play on weekends--rarely during the week.

B

Bo Riddler

If only Wyoming and Cali were closer, we could forma new group. I rem all those days of terrible groups. The only good ones, were the ones I had to DM. But that I suppose does not belong in this thread.

*sadly misses those days*

*looks at all of his old D&amp;D Books*

You sound extremely efficient in game. That is most cool.

Bo

G

<blockquote><hr>

If only Wyoming and Cali were closer, we could forma new group.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there are several active "tabletop RPG" style groups within Second Life, who have created their own 'game within a game'.

Darklife is one of the more well known ones.

But... back to WoW armour at particular levels....

aj

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;But... back to WoW armour at particular levels....</font color=blue>

Heheh. Sorry. Just too used to hijackig threads.

As I mentioned in the other thread, your current armor rating doesn't seem all that far off for your level. I seem to recall my own warrior being within 100 or so of what you have.

Okay, I scrounged up an old data sheet and added up the armor. Keep in mind that these are raw numbers and don't take into account any adjustments due to agility bonuses.

At level 38, my warrior had a total of 1355 armor, with a shield of 645, for a total 2000. My leather worker also kept him in armor kits, adding an additional +104, bringing to 2104, plus the agility bonuses.

So, based upon my character, your level 30 is doing pretty well.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So, based upon my character, your level 30 is doing pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which leaves only three options for the problems I am having...

1) My spells/actions are crap.

2) My talent tree is crap.

3) I'm just crap at WoW.

aj

G

Or.

4) Your PvP is crap.

So, as far as your comments, here are my counter comments.

1) Maybe. Assuming you're having trouble with PvE, maybe you haven't worked out the right combo yet. I generally charge, gouge, then add on the buffs as I can. If the MOB is humanoid and likely to rabbit, I add hamstring into the mix when they get about 2/3 down in health.

2) Maybe. Mine certainly is. I read somewhere that protection is best for PvE, specced that way, did defensive stance, and kept getting my bottom handed back to me on a platter by MOBs several levels below me. I fared better with the melee stance with that build than the defensive stance. I'm seriously tempted to pay the gold and respec to arms.

3) I doubt that.

4)Maybe. I definitely am. I have absolutely no interest in PvP, even though I play on a couple of PvP servers (though rarely). I do it just for the challenge. If you spend more time running back from the graveyard while trying to quest, that may be the problem. Also, being on a PvP server, you're probably going against people are seriously decked out in rares and epics, and know all the PvP tricks that you don't.

Look, I know you don't have a lot of time to spend on WoW, and starting a second character may be abhorrent to you, but I'd seriously recommend you give it a shot. Start a Horde or Alliance character on a PvE or RP server and just play. If you start one on one of my servers, I can easily help out. What ever server you start on, I can create a character to help out when we happen to be on at the same time.

Consider it.

G

Having spent a lot of time (for me) getting to level 30, I'm really not keen on starting from scratch, which means that an option is the "change servers" paid service.

A lot of the issues started when the guild that got me into the pvp server in the first place decided to have a big drama fest and I quit before they booted me because I didn't agree with what they were expecting me to do. Being UK based and 5-8 hours behind US servers and busy times doesn't help me much either.

I'm Horde, and assuming I remain that way... any recommendations?

aj

B

Bo Riddler

If you are not enjoying your limited time spent on the server/character you have, then nothing is lost in the time you spent getting up to 30th.

Take one of Cynewulfs servers or try Kirin Tor. It is RP and I can help you too. I do not have several servers I play on. Only one. But seriously. Come over to a different server.

Bo

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you are not enjoying your limited time spent on the server/character you have, then nothing is lost in the time you spent getting up to 30th.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not not enjoying playing... it's just not enjoying being killed because I mostly solo

I guess it's pay to move servers then. Just finding a good Horde one amongst you lot I guess.

aj

B

Bo Riddler

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Just finding a good Horde one amongst you lot I guess.

aj

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmm, does that mean your going to make a new Horde character on a different server?

Or your hording all the donuts? 'cause if its the donuts you want, you can have 'em, we are only trying to get you to open your wings.

Bo

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;It's not not enjoying playing... it's just not enjoying being killed because I mostly solo</font color=blue>

Then you definitely want to get off any kind of PvP server.

If you want to stick with Horde, or transfer your character (I'm too big a cheapskate to do so), I have Horde characters on Thrall (my GF has an entire infrastructure of Horde there, all 10 slots, all in their 20s and 30s), and Thorium Brotherhood (where the other wackos from OT/Troll Cave are).

If you want to try a new character type, just to get your feet wet, and want to stick with Horde, I'd recommend doing a Blood Elf Paladin. Pally's are definitely my favorite class. They're much better suite to solo, since they can heal themselves and resurrect their friends. They also can wear the same armor/shields as the warrior.

But hey, that's just me.

G

I guess I'm going to be moving to Thorium Brotherhood if you think it'll be safe amongst the OT'ers - but are they Horde?

aj

B

Bo Riddler

Tell where you land and I'll make a toon on that server too. I don't play Horde much so it would kind of fun.

Let me know.

Bo

G

Ok.... I gave up and paid.

Manzana is currently somewhere in the ether between Lightninghoof and Thorium Brotherhood for the next day or so, and I'll check in again after the weekend (I'm away anyway) to let you know when I'm there.

Remember I'm in the UK - GMT timezone - so you west coasters may not see me much.

*edit* Ok... so much for "taking several days".... five minutes later I get the confirmation and it's all OK.

I'm currently sitting in Crossroads (or will when I log back in). Guess I need a guild invite or something?

aj

G

I put you on my friends list, but didn't see you on all weekend. On the other hand, I didn't play TB exclusively. I sent you mail.

G

Most weekends I don't get to play WoW at all due to 'real life' getting in the way.

I tend to be on UK evenings (which is usually +5 hours from EST, +8 from PST when we synchronise next weekend on summertime again) if that's any help.

I did get your mail and replied last night late when I got on - specifically to check if there was any messages

aj

G

Oh dear. I tend not to get on during the weekdays because I go from work directly to classes (I take classes because I need all the class I can get). Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays are my WoW times. When I don't have RL interfering, that is.