• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are we back to power hour?

P

pgcd

I just spent more than an hour casting lich form to train my sampire - currently at 98.3 skill - without getting a gain. Not a single .1 in more than an hour.
I know the RNG can be bad, but this is kinda ludicrous, isn't it?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mix lich form with wither and strangle spells.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I was working on the new skill gain guide flor blacksmithing, I was making items (royal circlets, which were perfectly positioned in the gain "sweet spot" for 100-110) in batches of 120. Typically, I averaged about 1 gain every 50 successful attempts (and a boatload of failures - was going through about 180 tool uses per 120 made).

Twice, I had periods where I went 400 successes (or about 600 actual ATTEMPTS) with no gains - then got a stretch where I got SEVEN gains in one 120-item batch, that also had an abnormally small number of failures.

I wish they'd hurry and fix the RNG.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, the RNG is just buggy as hell. I have the same problem on my necro mage some days. I log in for my GGS and it's 25 tries before I get it. Don't know why.

P

pgcd

Well, I finally managed to get to 99% by walking around, and now I have spent the last couple hours to go from 107.7 bushido to 107.8 with lightning strike - which, as far as I know, should give gains all the way to 120. Which means I can reasonably expect to spend a couple weeks spamming lightning strike on an unsuspecting horse.
I guess I'll just go back to painted caves =)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I finally managed to get to 99% by walking around, and now I have spent the last couple hours to go from 107.7 bushido to 107.8 with lightning strike - which, as far as I know, should give gains all the way to 120. Which means I can reasonably expect to spend a couple weeks spamming lightning strike on an unsuspecting horse.
I guess I'll just go back to painted caves =)
Yes you can just use lightning strike or mix that in with momentum strike by going to the nearest spawn to you.

N

NocteKDL

Excuse me if this is a hideous question, but I'm just looking to return to UO after about 4 years or so away.

Does 8x8 still work?

N

NocteKDL

So now you just gain skills through normal usage?

Is there any anti-macro code now that demands you move instead of (attended) macroing in one location?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes normal usage and there is no anti macro code.

If you have SA expansion then there is a quest you can do to get a reward that is very helpfull for training skills.

From Ortlem the Mystic at the mage shop in the royal city.

F

Fingers of Cats

Do you mind explaining what the quest does to help in skill gain? Is it repeatable? Is the reward an item?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reward is a item, when turned on and you use a skill. It will tells you what you are doing is good enough for you to gain skill. Like cast a spell thats to hard or to easy.