• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are Reptalons worth taming?

C

Coragin

As the title suggests.

I have fully trained greater drags and cus beetles and mares.

Is a Reptalon and possibly a hiyru worth taming?

Mainly interested in Reptalon, so some pros and cons would be wonderful.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I have read. Only if you want to walk it around Luna or WBB. To use as a weapon, they are worthless...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 2cp .....

Fully trained they barely to not all exceed a Nightmare.

I have one, it is named My Token Reptalon.

Versus the issues in getting one (sans Honor) they are a definite negative.

Now then a Hiryu is a totally different story. If you want a serious one be prepared to farm them. Mostly pay attention to the Wrestling to make sure it is as close to 120 as you can get it. Then the Resists, Hit Points and Strength. I have one that has an after tame Wrestling of 108, I believe its strength is some were between 650 and 700. Hit points near 550.

I count that Hiryu as 100% worth the effort to tame and count it as a valuable asset.

P

pgib

I' m training a freshly tamed reptalon. He has 2 stars in the pet power calculator, probabably the worst reptalon ever seen.

Str 507, Des 91, Int 225, Hits 421, Stam 91, Mana 225
Resistances: 60-45-38-54-79
Wrestling: 76.1 (had 110+ wild)
Tactics: 70.7
Anatomy: 47.3
Res. Spells: 55.7

With no healing/vetting he can kill (1-1):

terathan matriarch (easy, survives with 70% hp)
nightmare (70% left)
demon (60% hp left)
yomutsu warrior (40%)
bake kitsune (70%)
lich (80%)
discorded balron (30%)

He can't kill Tsuky Wolves, Ronins, Orc Brutes, Ogre Lords, Lesser Hyryus, Dragons, Fan Dancers, Paragon Demon

I'm not sure about rune beetles. He killed one bug with 28% left but i healed him during the next two fights because he's not bonded and i saw him getting too close to 10% with the beetles at 10% too.

Considering the skills he has right now i think he's not that bad. Clearly he's nowhere near a decent greater dragon (but no single pet or pet combo is: how many scaled or furry friends of ours can kill a balron and leaving the battlefield with more than 70% of hp left?).

It is hard to compare a freshly tamed reptalon to a hyryu because the hyryu has 90 wrestling or more after taming.

I had a fully trained reptalon and I remember it was impossibile to keep him alive against the crimson dragon (vetting + greater healing at the same time) or the bosses at champion spawns. It also died a lot fighting champion spawns because he couldn't handle very well multiple opponents, especially spellcasters or poisoners.

M

MoneyMaker

Since reps got nerfed they have been hardly worth the time to tame one.
As was said before, the hiryu is a worthwhile pet. It can usually hold its own in most situations.

C

Coragin

So in terms of pets, I think I figured this out...

Greater Drag = Best and Strongest, con your on foot.

Cu = Second best can heal you and himself, can ride an ethy while hunting.

Rune Beetle + Nightmare or bake. Pretty much a special situation combo.

Pair of mares or bakes = Another special situation combo

Reptalon = novelity pet.

Pretty much got it right?

Oh there is also, unicorn, kirin, fire steed, whit wyrm, regular dragon, all which are pretty out dated. Pretty much sum it up?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is why I love having ninja on my tamer. I can be in animal form without having to walk everywhere. The only downfall is that you can't cast spells, but you can vet while in animal form. Unicorn form is nice since it gives you speed and some resist against low level poisons. Oh, and smoke bombs are the bomb when you are in a tough spot and can't cast invis on yourself...la

U

uoBuoY

So in terms of pets, I think I figured this out...

Cu = Second best can heal you and himself, can ride an ethy while hunting.

Rune Beetle + Nightmare or bake. Pretty much a special situation combo.

Pair of mares or bakes = Another special situation combo

Reptalon = novelity pet.

Pretty much got it right?

Oh there is also, unicorn, kirin, fire steed, whit wyrm, regular dragon, all which are pretty out dated. Pretty much sum it up?

A damage output is a big problem with a Cu. They're great tanks but weak on damage.

This has been argued to death but I believe the most damage over time for a pet(s) that can tank is the Rune/Kit combo.

K

Kazumi the Wild

The best damage still relies somewhat on the resist being targetted, but in almost all circumstances, a Rune/Bake combo is a consistently awesome performer.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 2cp ....

Sans honor? All that is needed is some descent tactics to lure one away without attracting the miasma. After that? Fire-based spells for the win. Easy...easy...easy to knock their life down and then tame them near the door. Or, lure the miasma to the entrance and flip flop the reptalon to the miasma's spawn location.

I would not say it is really worth it, unless you just want one in your stable. They used to be stronger (semi-descent) vs. Travesty but since the Greater Dragon and even some time before that...just not worth it now. They need an overhaul.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My 2cp ....

Sans honor? All that is needed is some descent tactics to lure one away without attracting the miasma. After that? Fire-based spells for the win. Easy...easy...easy to knock their life down and then tame them near the door. Or, lure the miasma to the entrance and flip flop the reptalon to the miasma's spawn location.

I would not say it is really worth it, unless you just want one in your stable. They used to be stronger (semi-descent) vs. Travesty but since the Greater Dragon and even some time before that...just not worth it now. They need an overhaul.
Actually the one in my stables, the Token, was tamed by luring the unwanted away, area peacing them, and then mostly just peace tame it. I wouldn't waste my Honor time investment on them. Even doing the finding, luring, peace/invising etc these things are just not durable enough to warrant the investment. That is just my opinion.

I pretty much solo everything. Again, just my opinion, but as a solo, the Labyrinth is not a cake walk stroll in the park tamer paradise. There are a number of "Fast"moving mobs that just love to intermix with the Reptalons.

Neither of my Tamers are setup to win battles against meaningful aggressive mobs. So if I can not finesse the mobs, I am going to die. :(

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the one in my stables, the Token, was tamed by luring the unwanted away, area peacing them, and then mostly just peace tame it. I wouldn't waste my Honor time investment on them. Even doing the finding, luring, peace/invising etc these things are just not durable enough to warrant the investment. That is just my opinion.

I pretty much solo everything. Again, just my opinion, but as a solo, the Labyrinth is not a cake walk stroll in the park tamer paradise. There are a number of "Fast"moving mobs that just love to intermix with the Reptalons.

Neither of my Tamers are setup to win battles against meaningful aggressive mobs. So if I can not finesse the mobs, I am going to die. :(
Sure, I agree with you. I'm sure my setup is different than yours, but soloing yes, I wouldn't waste honoring either, and yes many fast moving mobs that like to have fun with an unsuspecting individual in the labyrinth.