• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are pure bards very effective against the DF?

S

Seismic

Maybe I'm playing my pure bard wrong OR I have the wrong last 2 skills (Magery/Meditation), so I humbly ask this question - truly seeking some guidance here.

I've killed some DFs the last month or so with a group of folks, usually led by a tamer with a GD. I've noticed that I cannot get more than 300-450 gold worth of "kill ownership" on the Dark Father in Doom!

I'd like to here from other, NON-TAMER characters as to what they typically see in gold from the DF. I use gold as the barometer for how much approximate, relative damage I did to the DF. Maybe my barometer is screwed up? Please enlighten me!! I know it's the top 16 damage givers but wouldn't gold return still give you an approx idea of your total damage output?

My playstyle is to always have 2 Earth Ele's summonned to kill the DF. If they are both still alive, I wait for spawn and provoke as much as possible until I fail and/or I need to summon a new Earth Ele. I check this summon necessity every 10-15 seconds or so, on average.

Maybe an ABC archer would do better, generally? Or a swords warrior?? I'm open to using a different character down there since I don't feel like I'm doing very much in total output..

OH, one last thing: My suit has a 945 base luck suit that I run with. And have 100% LRC, 10% LMC, 15 SDI (useless since I don't have EI and only cast MindBlast and occasional fireball on DF), 2 FCR, 1 FC, and 5 MR.

Y

Yalp

I play all kinds of characters against DF, Pure Paladin, Mage/Tamer, Archer/Necro..

what I find is the gold split at the end has to do with how many damagers there are to df and not necessarily the amount of damage each toon does.

I can be totally wrong about it tho.. others will let me know.

M

MYUO

After Df is dead, the gold is splited equally among all the players who have looting right. In other words, you are entitled same amount of gold as other players.
Now, the damage from a provoker is normally far less than a dexer or a tamer. That means the "points" you get from killing DF toward an artie is much less than what other players get. That means it takes longer for you to get an artie.

M

MYUO

Oh, one more thing: since you are most likely NOT the top damager, wearing a luck suit won't help you getting an artie.

S

Seismic

Oh, one more thing: since you are most likely NOT the top damager, wearing a luck suit won't help you getting an artie.
I thought this myth was debunked already? You speak of the system that existed PRIOR to the changes in November 2007. So the old system was setup so that luck was only beneficial in the top damager. I thought it changed in the updates in November 2007.

S

Seismic

After Df is dead, the gold is splited equally among all the players who have looting right. In other words, you are entitled same amount of gold as other players.
Now, the damage from a provoker is normally far less than a dexer or a tamer. That means the "points" you get from killing DF toward an artie is much less than what other players get. That means it takes longer for you to get an artie.
hmm ok .. this may answer my question. Looks like I should find another use for my poor bard :(. Sucks since Doom is probably the BEST place to be in this game, arguably, for a provoking bard.

Any other feedback from anyone else?? :)

J

jelinidas

I love my Bard in Doom. Actually, he lives there 99% of the time. My setup is pretty much the same but 120 magery. Dont forget to use offensive spells in the rooms when there is nothing to provoke. Earthquake is great against AbyHorrors in room 5 dealing 100 damage. Magery and MR is my bards best friend. Spam low level spells.

Now with that said, my ABC'er gets arties a lot more often. Probably in half the time it takes my bard. Just not as much fun!

Kill the luck suit and build for resists and MR. But I am also one of those who puts 100 in resting spells. A must have in Doom for me. Just my 2cents.