• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are bards skill any good in pvp?

S

Sumire

Just made a Bard archer and finding it really fun but...

Just want to know if i could use provoke/ disco or peace on a player in felluccia or in guilds wars? or does it work only on monster?

thx in advance for the replies

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only works on monsters or player controlled pets. Peacing will cause a warrior to toggle out of war mode but that's it. Disco/peace can come in handy against pets in Fel if you're up against tamers, but that would be about it.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That sucks! Disco is useless on a player? Not even a 4 second disco.. nada?
What a waste of 200+ skill points. Would be more interesting if it did at least something... anything on a player.
Perhaps they don't want people training up their skills this way. *shrugs*

*scratches it off of pvp possiblility list*

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only thing I could think of for having a bard archer in PVP is against a tamer. Area peace the pet and take out the tamer or pet. You could also disco the pet if you wished to invest the skill points to do so, but the only problem is that any other non-tamer PVP'er would probably kill your char.

5% Luck

I have a 3 x leg provo disco bard with 120 magery and gm eval(some resist too). Anyhow I like to bring this char to champ spawns as I can pull the champ out from lvl 4 in under 4 mins solo(with some luck:) ) I get counts on this guy alot and i find this amusing as it must be humiliating to get killed by a bard!

Under most raiding conditions This guy does get killed. Im not saying hes an uber PvP template but with the right tactics I did go red for a time. Now when I end up with 4 counts I solo the gauntlet to burn them off, as a red bard is next to useless.

B

Boogieman

Back in the 'old days' there was a player on one of the US shards named Belan - known as Belan the Looter. This char had some bardic skills, hiding, magery and even taming ! (if I recall correct) and due the players excellent understanding of the game mechanics that char was quite viable in PvP.
Check out her adventures - they're a laugh! http://www.askcorran.com/belan/episodes.html

5% Luck

I know you can provok a reds evs back on him thats always fun!

S

Sarphus

when greater dragons were new I was using a provoke tamer to farm them. Some red attacked me when I was on foot and I was able to kill him with teleport, invis and provoke. he was a dexer, so he kept running all over the place. Each time he came in to whack me I would provoke another greater dragon on him and then invis or teleport to screw him up.

he kept jousting at me until 2 of the dragons simultaneously used a breath attack. That was all she wrote. He came back and I did it a couple more times :)

Provoke has limited usefulness in pvp, but it is almost never expected. As long as your target doesn't stay off screen for more than 10 seconds, you can just stack provokes on top of them.

I have found that peace/casters can do mediocre in pvp against dexers. A lot of dexers don't have attack macros, so they can get screwed up if you AE peace them out of attack mode in the middle of hard hitting combos.

Discord is only useful against pets and summons. A buddy of mine told me that the devs once made discord work in pvp, but they disabled almost immediately because it was way too powerful. Discord is the key to shutting down any tamer that is annoying you. When I battle tamers in pvp, I usually use a discord/tamer. I disco their pet and kill it with my pet very easily. Then I turn my pet on them.