• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Archer tamer or ABC archer

S

Silentulf

I've recently started playing UO again and I'm not sure what kind of build I should use. I've narrowed it down to either of these two, I'm only intressted in PVM so that is what I'm asking about.
Which one of these two are the most versatile? And which one is the least gear dependant?

The two builds I'm thinking of are as following
ABC Archer

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Anatomy 95
Healing 100
Resist 90
Chiv 75

Archer tamer

120 Archery
110 Tame
110 Animal Lore
90 Heal
110 Anatomy
90 Vet
90 Tactics

Thanks in advance!

Silentulf.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you hate training anywhere near as much as I do, then go with the ABC archer.

You can have that one finished in a couple of weeks, tops. The tamer takes months to finish, even if you have plenty of time to practice.

And with any archer, you can get by with a suit with good resist and a bow with mana leech. Everything else is just extra.

Of course, with a tamer, you can get by with running naked and carrying bandages.

S

Silentulf

So what your saying is that if I have the determination a archer tamer would perform better than the ABC archer in PvM? Time is not a issue! =)
I'd rather play the archer tame, but if it's gimp then it's no fun =/

C

Connor_Graham

The ABC archer will outdamage the tamer version hands down.

S

Silentulf

Outdamage it I'm sure it will. But what's easier/better to play around with in solo PvM?

And besides soloing what would work best with a necro/mage/weaver which my friend is playing?

Btw it's your ABC template I've choosen Connor! You seem like a really knowledagable (I think I made that word up ^^) guy! Your input would be greatly appricitaed!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play an ABC archer (but not that template, I have med instead of resist) and find that easier to play and has more survivability than my mage-tamer.

For high end content (peerless/Doom), some people find it easier to have a big tank between you and the bad guy, such as a greater dragon. Myself, I like being partnered up with a spellweaving mage for Doom. It involves a lot more moving around, but I find that fun.

But it comes down to a powerful combination vs. another powerful combination. Both are good and it depends on what your play style is as to what works better for you.

And I'm not sure that the ABC will out damage the archer tamer who runs with a rune beetle and bake kitsune. I know my mage with a beetle/bake was constantly in the top 3 damagers during the previous "invasion" event (the only place where I've fought and the top 3 damagers were rewarded).

S

Silentulf

Easy is good for me since I'm not really that good at UO yet, hehe.
Seems like a ABC archer it is, but I'd still want some more input on the archer tamer.
I really like the idéa of plucking things of from a distance with a nice great dragon infront of me :p

C

Connor_Graham

And I'm not sure that the ABC will out damage the archer tamer who runs with a rune beetle and bake kitsune.
The tamer template has no Chiv or Bushido. With Chiv, Bushido, and the higher Tactics and Anatomy the damage output will be much higher than even the beetle/bake combo. I've gone against things with a tamer with that combo, and it was easy to see that my archer was doing the majority of the damage, even without armor corrupt active.

To the OP-

Yes, I recognized my template right off lol. I believe the ABC template would be much easier to play as there would only be one thing to worry about, which is yourself. With pets you'll have to not only keep yourself healed but also your pets. Remember that bosses can change targets, so there will be a lot more going on with the tamer than the plain archer.

S

Silentulf

Alright, awsome! I'm getting pretty psyced about the ABC archer now, hehe.
I'm off to train!
Thanks for you help everyone! :danceb:
Much apprciated!

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the archer/tamer that i run, and i have an absolute blast with him

120 - Archery
120 - bushido
115 - Taming
110 - Lore
110 - Vet
110 - Tact
85 - chiv

Does require the hunters headress and skill+ jewels but i do some massive damage with my pet and me with enemy of one, consecrate, and lightning strikes :D

S

sleepyprince

Outdamage it I'm sure it will. But what's easier/better to play around with in solo PvM?
:talktothehand: i guess 4 pvm u may need 2 say a little bit more detail of it
i can use a abc 2 solo a Chief Paroxysmus easily
n may use a arch tamer 2 kill Miasma 4 easy $$
so after all kind of diff temp
i guess r depend on how u r using it

T

Turdnugget

Sleepy, while your input was well intended, could you please try to use better grammar next time? It's kinda hard to read and just makes you look a little less... educated.

Anywho, an archer/tamer can be deadly, if not deadlier than an ABC archer.

110 Taming
110 Lore
120 Archery
100 Tactics
90 Vet
60 Chiv
120 (or 100) Bushido
with left over points...

Now playing this kinda chr is a little bit tricky. Your method of healing yourself is through Chivalry Close Wounds (need at least 2 FC for it to work semi-decent) and Bushido's Confidence, pots as a last resort as you've got to disarm your bow, unless it's balanced.

I've played that template before, and damage output is INSANE. Pet doing damage + you shooting every shot with Lightning Strike landing crits here and there... if rune beetle lands an Armor Corrupt... oh boyz!

The downfall is that you have to heal with veterinary...so with some mob bosses, being up close and personal, even if pet has most of the agro can get hairy. Often times a Peerless will turn on you for vetting if within a certain tile range.

If you're doing Lady Mel, and have another tamer with a GD/Cu and a mage to heal your pets, you'll outdamage just about anyone. Same with champ spawns...I used that template a lot for non-AoE casting champs. Works well but gotta learn how to play the template.

ABC archer is much easier... just LS every shot, consecrate weapon, EoO etc...