Archer Mage, has anybody ever had any luck with this template?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
I was borred and browsing the internet. I was reading about this Archer Mage template. I've never tried it myself but using like a composite balanced SC no negative bow. Has anybody ever had any luck or experience with this template? Can you please post your experience.

Please note that i'm refering to PvP experiences and not PvM.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I was borred and browsing the internet. I was reading about this Archer Mage template. I've never tried it myself but using like a composite balanced SC no negative bow. Has anybody ever had any luck or experience with this template? Can you please post your experience.

Please note that i'm refering to PvP experiences and not PvM.
As with most templates they depend on your ability to play them, and your situation. Given your usual inquires I would suggest not going for it, since you play alone most of the time. I have had experience with this template, in a group and with a group of them and it can work if you and your team know how to use it, but as a singular character fighting solo vs multiple people I would suggest against it.

V

Vaneca

I currently got an Archer Mage running.
But I have to say I am going to get rid of it again, since it seems to suck alot on the defensive side.
Even with 65 DCI I seem to get hit every single time.
I thought it would be smart to have 100 anat in aswell for disarm, but it really seems that anat/eval is broken since I get hit about the same which is almost every single time =)

Suit is:
100 LRC
40 LMC
29 SDI
65 DCI
45 HCI
25 HPI
~10-12 MR
and some random stat increases.

Its very nice for fighting mages but against dexxers it seems like a death sentence, especially in gank situations :)
Maybe if you have a great con and are very fast.

Bottomline for me, its fun to play but for some reason a real pancake against dexxers.

T

Teranor

The problem I have with mine is that I run out of mana very quickly and even if I do spend more time and gear on him, it seems that I wont be able to make him a decent or respectable class in pvp, I also dont think that Ive ever seen one in the battlefield.

Theres also a problem with stats, you need to balance around 75 each. I dont remember the skills in mine right now.

Fyi for PVM: its fun to bring him as part of a large hunting group since its an excellent support class. Able to do significant damage and to heal himself and others.

V

Vaneca

The problem I have with mine is that I run out of mana very quickly and even if I do spend more time and gear on him, it seems that I wont be able to make him a decent or respectable class in pvp, I also dont think that Ive ever seen one in the battlefield.

Theres also a problem with stats, you need to balance around 75 each. I dont remember the skills in mine right now.

Fyi for PVM: its fun to bring him as part of a large hunting group since its an excellent support class. Able to do significant damage and to heal himself and others.
I changed the Archer Mage template a bit, since I noticed it doesnt matter whether I am have my bow equipped or beeing disarmed. I get hit a freaking lot.
So I just took anatomy off and put 120 Meditation on =)
With the stats I sort of disagree.
I dont think there´s a problem with the stats at all. Unless you want to have 150 dex, which would make you an archer with magery and not an archer mage =)
I am running 100 str + ~65 dex and rest intel.
Pottet up etc. I end up with 95-100 stamina. Which means I swing 3 seconds on a Crossbow with 30ssi.
Since you´re basically a mage and want to cast spells more than hit with your bow, you dont need a really fast swing.

But I guess that´s a matter of prospective :)

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 11, 2010
well, right today i'm just having fun with something like that. (in pvm, since i've modified a bit ma pvm abc archer) nothing serious at all since.,..i dont think i'll go for it seriously; lol i'm still trying to set up the timing of some combos too but looks funny.And well u know, games is about having fun.isn't it?
Double shot with a spell chan yumi with lightning 42% and mana leech 35% works decently enough. TRied here and there a classical fll explo combo combined with the double shot; can't really handle it but it's funny sh1t to see; as well as a noob fireball spam combined with dbl shot or ls or just nothing (that's when i need to recover mana XD )
Cazsting para/pioson field, even a vortex or 2 or any other evocation ( according to your mount) is a usefull addon.
For healing me i just use healing+confidence in the majority of cases; when in need minor healing or chiva. The Funny **** is i can even let ma lesser tank a few and heal him from far with magery XD
I mean, it looks like the god of the ibrid templates. i mean, u see someone casting and u say..."uhm a mage", then he starts shotting arrows so, u think " wait, he's an archer too..." and after that u see an all kill and u think " what the hell is that"
XD
Deffo funny;As it is atm it's still decently effective, since, i still got a 90% of ma main archer skills and equip. So not a big loss and for sure ma main dmg source comes from the bow than from spells.

Countless money spent for reagents as well for arrows but...u know having fun got no price XD

Last edited:

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 11, 2010
well, right today i'm just having fun with something like that. (in pvm, since i've modified a bit ma pvm abc archer) nothing serious at all since.,..i dont think i'll go for it seriously; lol i'm still trying to set up the timing of some combos too but looks funny.And well u know, games is about having fun.isn't it?
Double shot with a spell chan yumi with lightning 42% and mana leech 35% works decently enough. TRied here and there a classical fll explo combo combined with the double shot; can't really handle it but it's funny sh1t to see; as well as a noob fireball spam combined with dbl shot or ls or just nothing (that's when i need to recover mana XD )
Cazsting para/pioson field, even a vortex or 2 or any other evocation ( according to your mount) is a usefull addon. Moreover invis is right behind the corner; saved ma ass few times;
For healing me i just use healing+confidence in the majority of cases; when in need minor healing or chiva. The Funny **** is that i can even let ma lesser tank a few and heal him from far with magery XD
I mean, it looks like the god of the ibrid templates. i mean, u see someone casting and u say..."uhm a mage", then he starts shotting arrows so, u think " wait, he's an archer too..." and after that u see an all kill and u think " what the hell is that"
XD
Deffo funny;As it is atm it's still decently effective, since, i still got a 90% of ma main archer skills and equip. So not a big loss and for sure ma main dmg source comes from the bow (4istance, slayers bows and tali slayers) than from spells.

Countless money spent for reagents as well for arrows but...u know having fun got no price XD

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 17, 2008
squeezepagegraphics.com
Well lets clear some things up.
Other than Wrestling, you need a weapon skill + 70 - 9 0 Tactics for a special move.
Anat + Eval equates to Wrestle skill minus the special moves.
The Anat is handy for base run of the mill damage with mage weapons, and when disarmed you have the wrestle equivalent.

My solution would be this

Magery
Med
Eval
Resist
Anat
Bushido

Use a SC Shortbow with Hit Lightning, SSI and use Bushido Lightning Strike. You can get the same effect as an AI.

You won't need to butcher your INT for Dex and you can fire off a quick shot right after your combo.

The drawbacks are no special moves, but then again after you do your combo, the timer has to tick till a shot is fired on a slower weapon such as a Composite.
You wont be able to disarm.