• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone help me with an error on patching?

• Thread starter RandAlThor
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

RandAlThor

I play on a work computer and I have a feeling they may have changed some settings to block programs like this or someone accidentaly might have disabled something allowing third party internet programs.

There is a few people using this computer and some of them just go randomly changing stuff any time an error happens.(me too I know,I know)

Anyways I re-installed UO and still getting an error that disconnects me.
Any info or tips or places to look fro troubleshooting would be appreciated

A

Azural Kane

Well... it'd help to start by posting the error you get...

R

RandAlThor

The technical data or the actual message that displays?
I get an error that says the program you are trying to run has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvinience

HAHAHA
There is a data report with tech info but it looks like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me.
The patch finishes all the way to the part where the OK button highlights but when I click it thats when it shuts it down. So it's patching I guess but not going through to the play screen.

A

Azural Kane

Hm k, so it's outright crashing then? Well, that wouldn't be caused by anything your work did to "block" anything. It just wouldn't load in the first place, if that were the case.

I would suggest the following, in this order:

1) Reboot your computer, defrag it, try again
2) Try loading the game without UOAssist from the default start-menu short cut to ensure you've all the latest patches
2) If that doesn't work, then reinstall any third-party programs you launch UO with (i.e. UOAssist) The latest update broke this
3) If you still crash, then FULLY uninstall the client, THEN Reboot/Defrag, THEN download/install the client again.

Always always ALWAYS defrag whenever you uninstall/reinstall something, and generally once a week or so at LEAST. It makes a big difference in programs' efficiency.

R

RandAlThor

Thanks I'll try a reboot and then defrag.
I was playing a ALT shard fine one day. then I loaded the client with UO Assist got the error and hasn't worked since. It patches bu then shuts down or crashes. So I figured it was a change in settings or something hopefully this will work.

R

RandAlThor

Ok so I uninstalled UOAssist and reinstalled the update from march 20th and this is the error it gives me which makes a little more sense to me.
It says the UOpatcher is unavailable or missing. It says uoassist will not run untill it is available to check for patches.

G

Vista or XP or what OS?

Off the wall though.. Sounds like somehow you do not have proper Administrative permissions on the PC.

R

RandAlThor

Its XP and I could check if I knew where to look I should have all passwords available. How would I know if I am missing access?

G

XP:

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts

Click on the Account you're logging in as:

Click "Change the Account Type"

If "Limited" has the dot by it, you'll need to log off and log in as the Administrator

If there is no "Administrator" account, you can try another account that might have "Administrator" rights.

To log on as Administrator when the option is not there:

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts

Click "Change the way users log on or off"

Uncheck Both Options, "Use tthe welcome screen" and "Use Fast User Switching"

Then click Apply Options.

Now, Log off and a log on window will appear with 2 fields. 1 for Username and 1 for password.

Type in "Administrator" for the username and type in the password if you know it. If you don't you'll need to either get it from someone or ... use a *cough* method *cough* that I don't feel is appropriate to share myself.. The knowledge is on the web though. *winks*