• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone has experience with ALLIANCES?

• Thread starter imported_Hawkeye_Pike
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Hawkeye_Pike

Hi all!

Is there anybody out there who has run an Alliance (as an alternative to Guild Wars), or has experience with it? I have a couple of questions that are not answered by the official Q&A.

<ul> [*]In practice, what exactly is an Alliance good for? What's the advantages and disadvantages in comparison to guild wars?

[*]Do you use an Alliance, so PvP <u>within</u> the Alliance is possible for all member guilds, without having to take care of declaring war on each other?

[*]Is it possible, that one Alliance declares war on another Alliance, and thus enabling guild wars with 2 sides (for example, good and evil) without complicated war declarations?

[*]To my understanding, all members of an Alliance are highlighted green (no matter what guild they're from), and all Alliance members are treated PvP-wise like they were in a single guild. Is that true?

[*]I heard that some attack techniques with area affect do not work inside an Alliance (like Chain Lightning, Wither, Explosion Potions). Has anybody tested this? I know that Explosion Potions work within a guild...

[*]I want to try and get rid of all this complicated cross-guild-war-declaring and substitute it by an Alliance, in order to simplify PvP (guild wars). However, all participating guilds would have to give up their current war declarations. Do you think this could work? [/list]

Any feedback and opinion is appreciated!

Hawkeye Pike
The United Pirates of Catskills

G

<blockquote><hr>

<u>Wars and Alliances</u>

Wars
Wars are formalized hostile relationships between guilds, which allow open combat between the guilds involved in the war. Both sides must agree to the war declaration in order for a state of war to be declared. Click for more details.

Alliances
Alliances are formal protective relationships between guilds, and are managed by the guild designated as the Alliance Leader. Guilds can not have any wars declared when joining an alliance and a guild may only belong to one alliance at a time. Alliances share all wars declared by their Alliance Leader, and only the Alliance leader can declare war or surrender. Other guilds wishing to declare war on any guild in an Alliance must declare war on the Alliance Leader directly. If the Alliance Leader accepts the declaration of war, this will result in a war with the entire Alliance. Allies will highlight the same color as members of your own guild (a light green color by default).

Breaking Alliances
A guild can remove itself from an alliance at any time; however the guild breaking away will not retain any wars that were declared on the alliance. If the Alliance Leader leaves the alliance, a random guild in the alliance becomes the new leader. Only the Alliance Leader can remove other guilds from the Alliance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excerpted from here. To get to some of these things, go to uo.com, select "Update Ctr" from the left-hand menu and I use the "Five on Friday" link to get me into a searchable area. Then search and read!

Hope this helps.

I

imported_Hawkeye_Pike

I read that, but it don't answer my questions.

G

At least a couple were, I believe.

Bullet 1
In practice, what exactly is an Alliance good for? What's the advantages and disadvantages in comparison to guild wars?
<font color=00008B>True ... not really answered.</font color=00008B>

Bullet 2
Do you use an Alliance, so PvP within the Alliance is possible for all member guilds, without having to take care of declaring war on each other?
<font color=00008B>Sounds like it from Bullet 4 below and the fact they must not have declared wars before entering the Alliance.</font color=00008B>

Bullet 3
Is it possible, that one Alliance declares war on another Alliance, and thus enabling guild wars with 2 sides (for example, good and evil) without complicated war declarations?
<font color=00008B>Sounds like if one Alliance Leader declares on another AL and that AL accepts you have a war ... it's up to agreement I would think as to good vs evil.</font color=00008B>

Bullet 4
To my understanding, all members of an Alliance are highlighted green (no matter what guild they're from), and all Alliance members are treated PvP-wise like they were in a single guild. Is that true?
<font color=00008B>Since they highlight green to you treatment is as if in your guild ... so yes, I would say it's true.</font color=00008B>

Bullet 5
I heard that some attack techniques with area affect do not work inside an Alliance (like Chain Lightning, Wither, Explosion Potions). Has anybody tested this? I know that Explosion Potions work within a guild...
<font color=00008B>Unknown ... I play solo, unguilded. You could try Test Center (TC) with some buddies and test things out some.You and 1 other form 2 guilds, then an Alliance. Try things out. What's the worst that could happen?</font color=00008B>

Bullet 6
I want to try and get rid of all this complicated cross-guild-war-declaring and substitute it by an Alliance, in order to simplify PvP (guild wars). However, all participating guilds would have to give up their current war declarations. Do you think this could work?
<font color=00008B>Within the "green" members of the alliance teams of good/evil, light/dark or whatever could be setup. This could open the way for intra-Alliance PvP of the staged kind I would think. In concept it seems do-able.</font color=00008B>