• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any Adivse would be great

• Thread starter Lady Narsil
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lady Narsil

I have a problem. I was in game with UOA and all was fine, I logged out and now can't log in with UOA. It goes all the way through the UO patch screen and then I click ok and nothing. I tried uninstall on both UOA and UO still nothing and now I can't get UO to patch past 5.0.6c old junk.

Any ideas on what could have happened and how I can fix it.

sry spelling in title was thinking faster than fingers were moving.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have a problem. I was in game with UOA and all was fine, I logged out and now can't log in with UOA. It goes all the way through the UO patch screen and then I click ok and nothing. I tried uninstall on both UOA and UO still nothing and now I can't get UO to patch past 5.0.6c old junk.

Any ideas on what could have happened and how I can fix it.

sry spelling in title was thinking faster than fingers were moving.
Try downloading a new copy of UO http://www.uo.com/uoml/downloads.shtml I've had issues with disk installs or older copys of the installer that I'd downloaded and archived not patching past that point.

L

Lady Narsil

Thanks for the link. That fixed my patch problem but I still can't get assist to work. I get all the way through both the assist and uo patch screens and then nothing it just shuts down, but UO opens if I don't try and use assist. Any ideas out there on what might be wrong?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the same problem Thursday night.

Late in the evening Thursday, I got a message from my firewall program asking if I wanted to block a file associated with ICQ or ICQ Toolbar. For some reason, the firewall program was suspicious of it. As I was trying to find out more about the suspicious file, I noticed that the firewall program showed that the UO patch file was the process that must have been running when that file showed up.

I told the firewall program to block the problem ICQ file. After that I could not get UO to run at all. I don't know why the two programs seemed to have become associated with each other at that point and blocking one seemed to affect the running of the other one.

I ended up removing the ICQ Toolbar and ICQ programs from the machine and downloading a new copy of ICQ and installing it without the Toolbar add-on. After that I didn't have any problems getting UO to run. ICQ was problematic Thursday night, but that seemed to be a widespread problem that resolved itself by Friday morning. Haven't had any more problems getting UO to run.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a FYI... the ICQ client has more security flaws than all other IM clients combined.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the link. That fixed my patch problem but I still can't get assist to work. I get all the way through both the assist and uo patch screens and then nothing it just shuts down, but UO opens if I don't try and use assist. Any ideas out there on what might be wrong?
It very well seems to be a firewall issue and this can very on the type of PC setup you have. In some cases you can have 2 or more firewalls up depending on what is installed on your PC.

The most common firewall is Windows firewall, goto start/control panel/ windows firewall and select the exceptions tab and make sure UOA is there and checked. If not you can add it.

Additional firewalls come in various forms such as security bundles such as Nortons and Macafee as an example, not to mention Windows live onecare.

Also another is a pseudo firewall that comes with spybot search and destroy called teatimer. It can cause havoc if you do not know what permissions to set per application. Best thing to do is to disable it from the start up menu and leave spybot S&D intact. Start/Run/msconfig/ select startup tab and uncheck teatimer.

Another is Nvidias chipset firewall

and last but not least is a built in router firewall, but these are not much of an issue I have run accross dealing with uoa,uo,icq etc.

Give us some specs on your PC, such as to your version of windows, xp, vista,etc and any other security software and we can help you trouble shoot it and get you up and running.

L

Lady Narsil

I am running Win XP and have The Shield Deluxe running on the machine. I will check the setting and see if that could be the issue.

Thanks Lefty it was the windows firewall. I never changed anything in it before and it was never and issue but I added UOA and now it is working.

Thanks again for all the help. I am up and running again.
:)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am running Win XP and have The Shield Deluxe running on the machine. I will check the setting and see if that could be the issue.

Thanks Lefty it was the windows firewall. I never changed anything in it before and it was never and issue but I added UOA and now it is working.

Thanks again for all the help. I am up and running again.
:)

My XP has been acting *funny* the last couple of months...so it personally wouldnt surprise me if one of the updates had an effect on your settings. Last week I had to re-activate windows out of the blue...three months after a fresh install. glad to hear you are up and going again!

*kicks windows*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Welcome to Windows Vista with Service Pack 1.

With a little minor tweaking I"m finding Vista to be a pretty good OS to be honest.

though by minor tweaks I mean

Turning off User authorization control If I clicked the Icon I want to run it duh!
Setting the OS to use 2-3-4 cores of a processor all the time splitting up computing of tasks not just when an application has dual core support.
upgrading my PC to 4gb of RAM
Adding a 8 series or better Nvidia gaphics card​