• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another returning vet with template question

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey guys, hate to ask since I see so many others asking, but it's been forever. I played from release until about 2000 or so, then tarted again for a year or so around 2005, and just reactivated a couple days ago. Haven't done much, took a day or so to get Windows on my Mac, then getting UO Assist and Mapper etc going. I did store all my stuff and sold my house back before leaving, so I'm not completely broke, but I'm betting things aren't quite the same. I have a few accounts, with many different toons, with all on lake Superior at the moment, with another PvP Mage on Seige Perilous, but I guess my main would be a PvP Mage on LS, and I was hoping someone would look at my current template and give some advice.

120 Eval Int
120 Magery
120 Meditation
115 Ninjitsu
120 Resist
120 Swords
5 Tracking

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you're Human the points in Tracking are superseded by Jack Of All Trades, which is a Human racial ability that gives you a basic 20 in every skill (not shown)... So you could take Ninjitsu to 120. It's use would be for poisoned darts/stars, Animal Form running away when Dismounted, everything else it does would require other skills.

You need Tactics to use weapon special moves 70 for the secondary and 90 for both. Most Mages use Mage Weapons for melee defense. For example a one handed weapon (so they can drink potions) with -15 Mage Weapon on it, combined with +15 Magery on items to bring it back to 120.

Most people run either 0 or 120 Resist, and carry items that cover most of what it's for, still worth having imo.

If you're a pure Mage in PvP you get the benefit of a 30 SDI cap.

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
When did the special moves change to require tactics? When I left having high skill in Ninjitsu, and a high weapon skill allowed you access to special moves, so using a Spell Channeling sword was great for mages, and access to the special moves.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't remember, but if you try to toggle a special move on without the required Tactics it won't let you. It used to allow you to do it if you had over the requirement with skill increase items too, but recently have found that not to be the case.

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't remember, but if you try to toggle a special move on without the required Tactics it won't let you. It used to allow you to do it if you had over the requirement with skill increase items too, but recently have found that not to be the case.
Yeah, I couldn't find it for sure, so I logged in, equipped a spell channeling one handed sword, and tried to activate the move, and like you said, it wouldn't let me, and told me the same info you mentioned. Oh well..back to the drawing board. Thanks for your help!

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
How would something like this work

120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Magery
120 Resisting Spells
100 Inscription
120 Meditation
120 Spellweaving

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Weaving only for WoD? Well, I guess it makes sense to use Arcane Empower to get the SDI and whatnot.

Doesn't that add up to only 700?

Also, there's no PS for inscription, so you can only do 100 there.

Last edited:

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Weaving only for WoD? Well, I guess it makes sense to use Arcane Empower to get the SDI and whatnot.

Doesn't that add up to only 700?

Also, there's no PS for inscription, so you can only do 100 there.

Yeah my bad, meant 120 Spellweaving and Inscription to 100. Only 700 since there's no PS for Inscription. Also it looks as if there's several spells that wold be beneficial in PvP. Is that not so? Wouldn't summon pixies, and fire fields plus WoD be useful in PvP?

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You're probably right about that. I don't PvP, so I don't really think about it.

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
You blind or what? The UOGuide page is not quite certain about what exact skills should be lower than 30 modified - and not even a word about whether they add up to a limit of 30 or you can have 30 in each.
Whoa..excuse me for trying to help! Good luck with that...

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Sorry, I just got a bit angry thinking your comment is an accusation of a nonexact question (while it had an accurate description - the conditions of 30 PvP sdi cap).

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Spellweaving does have some good uses in PvP, Essence Of Wind, Thunderstorm, Pixies, Dryad Allure, Attunement/Renewal and Wildfire, but to be honest I've only ever seen one good Spellweaver PvPer. I've used it myself on a 4/6 Chiv 100 area dexxer for busting choke points, great in group fights but pretty rubbish solo.

If I was going for pure I'd probably do Defensive Wrestle (So I could use tons of mods on book or shield and not be disarmable) and Scribe, 40 in idk Alchemy for a small potions boost.

Spart

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Sorry, I just got a bit angry thinking your comment is an accusation of a nonexact question (while it had an accurate description - the conditions of 30 PvP sdi cap).
Not a problem. I've been gone a long time myself, and ran across that and thought it might help