• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another game with "housing"

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
UO will always be the first, but other game developers have heard...

WoW got it with their keeps... not really housing a we know it and is instanced so just cannot see what other ppl have.

SotA is awesome for housing, and I love my home there... but the pre-fabs are kinda boring after a while.

Now ESO is adding housing, starting off with having your own room in an Inn! Hmm... imagine that...

If curious, here's the link about ESO's new housing addition.
Elder Scrolls Online

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Shards Online has housing as well, and it may seem a bit more familiar to what the UO player is used too as they are persistent parts of the game world. You can even set up vendors to sell items from your house.

HouseVendors.png

All the items on the tables are for sale

Houses at the moment are pre-builts, but you can decorate the interiors to your liking and you have a section of land around a house you can decorate.

Some of the House designs (Exterior shots only)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Haven't played it in years, but Runescape technically has housing too...

OMG and people think our graphics are a joke. The EC even looks better than all those pictures.
The most deluxe and expensive house available in Runescape at the time this picture was taken:

be9057794c269639b21582223261a112.png

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with ESO is that it was released on PC as complete but was far from it.
They made us pay for a year subs while they hashed out the problems, then re-released it as Tamriel Unlimited and launched on console.
Basically they took a chance at using the loyal PC Elderscrolls fan as a beta-tester for the console..........BIG MISTAKE!
They lost half of all the PC subs once it re-launched and the consolers never really stick around long anyway, so now it just plods along like a limp horse.
They introduced housing eventually but then didn't introduce House storage (they are thinking how they can make players pay for it)

As with all F2P games......it will be gone soon enough. Shame really as it could have been a great game but they chose the cash cow route and killed it before it began.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
:)
Several games have housing, just wanted to add another to the list.

However, NO ONE is able to do it like UO.

But the Broadsword team should know, the big developers will (Soon™) come up with ways to do what UO does. So, how will BS keep their niche?
And be forewarned, Portalarium (headed by RG - UO's creator) is making headway into the custom housing realm.

Discuss. :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
:)
Several games have housing, just wanted to add another to the list.

However, NO ONE is able to do it like UO.

But the Broadsword team should know, the big developers will (Soon™) come up with ways to do what UO does. So, how will BS keep their niche?
And be forewarned, Portalarium (headed by RG - UO's creator) is making headway into the custom housing realm.

Discuss. :D
I don't care what the man does... I'll never buy into it... IMO UO worked because of the "TEAM" working on UO .... NOT RG... Sure he was a "part" of that team... but I think that the "Team" did more for UO than he did... and this is justified by the fact that everything RG has done since UO has NOT been successful... And his latest stuff is just a money grab... Probably to return funds to him since he blew quite a wad on sending himself to outerspace...

At any rate... I thank you for letting me know about Elder Scrolls Online... I might consider it though I haven't heard much good and positive things about it... While I really do enjoy Skyrim I haven't thought to bother with the Online.

As for Shards... the cartoony'ness of it is seriously bad... I don't like it much though I keep trying... their problem I think is that they are 100% catering to the PvP/PK crowd and well... as with most of that stuff if you aren't in on day 1 and build your character to kill, kill, kill.... ASAP and stay on top and whatnot.. you will find it IMPOSSIBLE to play because you won't be able to get anywhere and all your work will be lost .... since they have full looting and such... oh and guards don't do much damage so reds/pks have no qualms about killing newly made characters and drylooting them... IMO not fun...

I've not seen any game that even comes close to or compares with UO as far as the RP ability and such goes with it... shards while it would like to compete with that won't though I am guessing later when folk mod their own shards maybe there will be some decent ones don't know... At any rate it's super cartoony and lacks the customization that UO has... and with only one human race for characters and the extreme limits of character creation and customization I can't see my interest in that game lasting long at all...

But UO has lost most of what used to make it fun and enjoyable. There are no community events anymore... Being in a guild does jack for you since much stuff is completely solo'd and having more than 1 other person around makes it dull and boring standing about waiting for .3 seconds of action and then having to stand about for 10 min for another .3 seconds of activity... boring. Making mobs ridiculously OP and pull you in loot you dry and spawn 400 mobs lag so intense it's crippling and everything else is NOT FUN... Having the Mobs 1 hit kill you is NOT FUN... Grinding is NOT FUN... having all drop rates reduced to a 0.0000001% chance at getting anything worth a hoot for your 6 hours of playtime is NOT FUN...

Vanity stuff is neat and all but asking me to pay $30 a pop for each set of crap and only giving me ONE choice on 2 items I'd have to buy the thing 8 or more times to get all the various cakes... which IMO is just BS... certainly one would get married once and all but some folk like to hold events... and would want to be able to provide all that stuff... so yeah disappointing to say the least.

Still waiting to see how this Pet Revamp goes but at this point I'm thinking if it's anything like what's been done of late... I'm fairly sure I'll be completely disgusted and disappointed with it...

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The problem with ESO is that it was released on PC as complete but was far from it.
They made us pay for a year subs while they hashed out the problems, then re-released it as Tamriel Unlimited and launched on console.
Basically they took a chance at using the loyal PC Elderscrolls fan as a beta-tester for the console..........BIG MISTAKE!
They lost half of all the PC subs once it re-launched and the consolers never really stick around long anyway, so now it just plods along like a limp horse.
They introduced housing eventually but then didn't introduce House storage (they are thinking how they can make players pay for it)

As with all F2P games......it will be gone soon enough. Shame really as it could have been a great game but they chose the cash cow route and killed it before it began.
ESO is far from dead. I dont know the numbers playing through the Zenimax login but Steam is not too bad The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - Steam Charts Also Morrowind expansion is coming out in June for it.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
But UO has lost most of what used to make it fun and enjoyable. There are no community events anymore... Being in a guild does jack for you since much stuff is completely solo'd and having more than 1 other person around makes it dull and boring standing about waiting for .3 seconds of action and then having to stand about for 10 min for another .3 seconds of activity... boring. Making mobs ridiculously OP and pull you in loot you dry and spawn 400 mobs lag so intense it's crippling and everything else is NOT FUN... Having the Mobs 1 hit kill you is NOT FUN... Grinding is NOT FUN... having all drop rates reduced to a 0.0000001% chance at getting anything worth a hoot for your 6 hours of playtime is NOT FUN...

I agree that the community isn't what it used to be, but there are still community events. Catskills has a weekly tavern night, weekly net tosses and various events put on by rpers and non-rpers. We have a cherry festival next month that will have a week long of events with both non-rpers and rpers coming together to do their own events for all to enjoy.

I haven't had much experience with PvM, but I do recognize your frustrations in what I have been able to experience. I would love to go to EM events more, but I usually get fustrated with those. I love stories and immersion, but as good as EMs are... they can't control the buttheads.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SotA has the most boring combat ever...
If that doesn't get a complete overhaul before release, I'll happily pass on that game...
Agreed. I got on board with both SotA and shards as an early backer and have to say I've hardly played SotA. Shards on the other hand I've been playing in most of my free gaming time and am really enjoying it.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guardians Of Ember
Another one with Housing, seems these isometric games are becoming very easy to make.
Nostalgia only stretches so far before you see it for what it is.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame is a massive flop grind and about 60% of the game accounts are Bots......
Flop? It hasnt even been released yet so how can it be a flop? I'll wager it has a lot more active players than UO even in beta. And as for 60% of accounts being bots ... youve just pulled that number out of your hat.

However ... its housing isnt a patch on UO's

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Flop? It hasnt even been released yet so how can it be a flop? I'll wager it has a lot more active players than UO even in beta. And as for 60% of accounts being bots ... youve just pulled that number out of your hat.

However ... its housing isnt a patch on UO's
Well I call it a flop as not even half the people are playing any more, probably also as they are waiting for the final wipe in June or July, if it dont get postponed......
About having more active players than UO in beta, well I cant argue that one, as 1st we dont have official numbers of how many are on each game to compare, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, it is also a new game, so in my opinion I think I should be able to attract a few more players than a 20 year old game but still has lots to offer, I feel as the game should be still in Alpha, there is a lot to hope for that they put into the game still.
I managed to play the 90 days of premium I had and I left the game as I found it extremely repetitive and boring, and its not because of lack of effort, as at least a group of 6 of us who play UO daily went over to see it together and we all have left the game not to come back, some hate the newer changes done to game, and some others hoped for a lot more ingame which we wont be receiving, or at least it has not been announced yet.
About the Bots being 60% of the subs, well I do have a source within the game developers and they know exactly who is doing what and when and also the amount of shut accs in the last year.
Already there has been 2 bot sites taken down by the AO Dev team, and them sites the accounts linked where over 2000 accounts or more....
Out of curiousity I joined one of these ''bot'' groups, and I can tell you there is people running with over 40 accs all botting all the time and its not one or two people but a whole bunch of people, so say 10 people are doing it to the same extremes, that means 400 active accounts daily ingame botting for resources and gold/silver.
That means half of Kingmarket/Queensmarket/Bog Haven/ etc.... and the black zones are full of bots.
Same as people running with 4 accs, 1 Main and 3 support accs following and attacking as needed.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It makes me laugh how so many in EVERY single MMO say its dead or dying, log into any of them and watch main chat for about 15 mins, if you are lucky you will also get to see the other regulars like "this game sucks now, its used to be good back when<insert previous patch etc where same person was saying exact same thing anyway>" guy, or the "Ive been playing this game since it began(or sometimes before lol) so my oppinion matters more than everyone elses" guy.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

ESO totally should've been a Sandbox.