• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Animate Dead

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Not to my knowledge. From my experience, the fame of the slain monster you are animating determines what is summoned.

-OBSIDIAN-

5% Luck

SO my 99 necro vampire with no SS should be casting animate dead? What a awesome idea! I found a new way to add even more damage to my template. I hope i can keep up the karma!

5% Luck

they dont do much but get killed, if they even attack
So your saying my animates will have more HP and damage with spiritspeak or just animate in general ant any good?

I plan on using them for my tamer so I will alrdy be dealing damage its just an extra arrgo cure and Im realy trying to tweak my PvM damage. Ive alrdy made the tempate as gimp as I can and still i seem to find things to better my damage output.

Thx

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i animated a ancient wyrm and got a skel dragon.. it lasted awhile and did some damage.

most of the time tho you get skeleton knights, or mages from low end stuff and they dont do much damage and kinda just wonder around.

its all determined around fame, so if you skill it and it says you gained a lot of fame, its worth animating.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, the summon is completely dependent on the fame of the dead creature. The HPs of that summon has no bearing on your spirit speak.

I really like the summons... but only when the monster is of such high fame that I get a skeletal dragon. Aarons is right that most of the summons are fairly weak. I would say all are weaker than an Earth El summon, except for the Skeletal Dragon. The Skeletal Dragon is quite powerful... though they do loose hit points over time and will automatically die eventually. I've been known to be running through dungeons with 2 x Earth Els, 1 x Shadow Wisp, and 3 x Skeletal Dragons by my side. With that team, it works pretty well, but you have to constantly be killing things with high fame to keep animating new Skeletal Dragons.

BTW, animate dead will kill your karma, because you have to keep summoning new ones. So it's arguable whether it is compatible with your character with Chiv. It really depends how often you use it. It could be handy, however, in some situations where you need an extra buddy on your side.

One note -- I've noticed the Skeletal Dragons don't attack on their own. They tend to wait until I make the first strike. Once I target the foe, they dive into the fray. So I usually hit with an explosion and then ivis before the monster targets me. That seems to work.

-OBSIDIAN-

5% Luck

Well i wanted to hunt greater dragons. With my dragon and my dragon slayer and I have ML so tins of extra mana that i dont know what to do with. Would ya say at 99 necro a greater corps would be a skely or would i need more necro?

K

Kimball

Animate does not depend on Necro skill at all, as far as I know. The type of dead that is raised depends upon the corpse you are animating (the higher the fame, the stronger the animate). I wouldn't say these are "game changing" power creatures, but they do some damage and can distract the MOB you are fighting (they would attack your animated corpses instead of you). In order for these to follow, and fight, with you you have to cast another necro spell after you animate the corpse. After you cast all of your animated corpses (three max, I think) you can cast curse weapon (or anything else) so they will all follow and fight with you.

Hopefully this rambling helps you.....Happy Hunting

5% Luck

Well I just hit a greater dragon corps with 99 necro and i got a lich. Not a lich lord not a skelly dragon and not even a pile of magots.

a lich.

Ewwwwe!

Maybe raise it to 120?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Wow... I guess we all learned something. Maybe spirit speak skill does matter. Can you kill a White Wyrm in ice? That's what I usually use when collecting gold and I always summon Skeletal Dragon's from the WW's corpse. If you get a lich from one of those then we know for sure the power of the animate dead summon has something to do with the caster's necro & spirit speak.

-OBSIDIAN-

A

Arilien

I animate dead on WW and have never gotten anything higher than a Flesh Golem. I actually have never gotten a skeletal dragon. However my SS was never above 85 and my necro has never gone higher than 91

5% Luck

I was sure i read on the old boards that it was necro based. I think if I add 1 point(gm) I will get a better animate but with the craped template as it is even one point is hard to come buy. The lich against a greater is like sending in sheep to the wolf. So that ends my endevor into the reconstruction of corpes.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
liches are the most common among high level fame monsters..
i think flesh golems last longer, but liches cast spells..

ive only gotten skell dragons on really high end stuff..
ancient wyrms, etc..
never on a dragon..
your skill has nothing to do with it.. unless its factored in how long they last until they die.

like i said before, they dont battle well, mostly just sit there and get attacked and die..
but, they take no control slots, and if your standing in one place farming stuff you can get a nice army built up.. lol.

5% Luck

I think they are alot of fun. I even go so far as to RP it a little with them and im not an rper. They are the koolest part of necro for me and Ive come to the conclusion that necro itelf has a,lot to do with the level of the creature and SS adds to its HP(i think) I lored Skely drags when my brother went from gm-120 SS and they gained about 30 hp. I know thats dusputable and maybe ill have the hankering to chck it on test one day but, there seemd to be a diferance.

From gm-120 necro though thats where the diferance was(real skill here for all you anti skill item players out there) huge! Same WW corps gm summonsed a magoot pile and the 120 (again real skill only here) got the skelly dragons. The thing is the golems have more HP then the Skely drags do weird!

A

Arilien

I can 100% say that skill does factor into what is raised. I hunted for a long time with my Necro and SS between 75-90 and never once raised a skeletal dragon. I was not actively training Necro or SS as I was not sure I was gonna stick with them which is why it went up so slowly. I was fighting anything in the following:
Daemons, Blood Elems, White Wyrms, Shadow Wyrms, Dragons.

Once I read this post I decided to actively train Necro and SS. Took them both from roughly 90 to 101 on Necro and 103 on SS. I now raise Skeletal Dragons 100% of the time from Shadow Wyrms. I have not tested yet on White Wyrms as I have been having a blast fighting Shadow Wyrms with 3 Skeletal Dragons up.

Just to give an idea I would say I probably hunted for roughly a month with my Necro somwhere between 75-90 so I animated alot of Shadow Wyrm corpses and never got one. I got both skills above 100 and have not, not gotten one yet.

And I have yet to have issues with them just standing there. As soon as you animate one cast a necro spell. I do Wither and it follows right away. It is like casting another Necro spell tells them who to follow. They will attack if attacked but generally I have to hit something with a spell first before they jump in. I am not saying they are the smartest things in UO but generally I can get em attacking without to much issue.