• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

animal Training very underwelming

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
decided to do the animal training with my best cu side, big mistake, gave a bunch of legendary skills and added life steal. now he apparently only heals when he is poisoned or maybe when the mood strikes him(has died from start to finish without using a heal), of course i have life stealing but either he does not use that or the affects are so small( or he uses is so infrequently) that that you can't tell. i now have to spam heal him to keep him alive against mobs that used to be no trouble( depending if he is in the mood to use bandy's on himself or not). they apparently switched to using mana for heals of course he has plenty and never uses it( lore him frequently).
given the number of powerscrolls and time i wasted on this, in order to make my pet stronger i apparently only screwed him up. He now averages 1 bandy every 15-20 seconds unless poisoned, but makes up for the poisoning by not using any bandy's for a minute or 2. All i can assume is his AI was changed when i up(down)graded him.
anyone else having similar problems?

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
decided to do the animal training with my best cu side, big mistake, gave a bunch of legendary skills and added life steal. now he apparently only heals when he is poisoned or maybe when the mood strikes him(has died from start to finish without using a heal), of course i have life stealing but either he does not use that or the affects are so small( or he uses is so infrequently) that that you can't tell. i now have to spam heal him to keep him alive against mobs that used to be no trouble( depending if he is in the mood to use bandy's on himself or not). they apparently switched to using mana for heals of course he has plenty and never uses it( lore him frequently).
given the number of powerscrolls and time i wasted on this, in order to make my pet stronger i apparently only screwed him. He now averages 1 bandy every 15-20 seconds unless poisoned, but makes up for the poisoning by not using any bandy's for a minute or 2. All i can assume is his AI was changed when i up(down)graded him.
Did you just give it life steal? Nothing else? Skill wise.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Did you just give it life steal? Nothing else? Skill wise.

yep, only life steal, and just raised others he already had . healing is a magic ability and life steal a special ability so did not see any conflicts. did just notice peep seem to be complaining about life steal in taming forum but it does not explain his seeming AI change

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am going to say its not working with older Cu's

: I added this and armor ignore and broke one of my cu's too.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But it was thoroughly tested before it was pushed out to Live, so surely its just everyone imagining all the bugs that came with it......:rolleyes:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My pre-publish Cu always healed when it felt like it (rarely) rather than when she needed it. At best the Cu provided 10% of the healing needed. It seems to be the same now. And I also have not seen much of an effect from life steal. In fact comparing tanking between two dynos (saurosaurus, and dimetrosaurus) one of which has life steal and the other HPR, the one with HPR tanks much better.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Honestly I do not think the Pet Revamp has been out long enough (on test and on prod) to say it is underwhelming. I remember those who said the same thing about imbuing when it first hit.. after folks figured out right combinations etc those cries fell by the wayside. I think the revamp will be along the same lines. I do think a lot of scrolls are going to be used on pets who ultimately wind up with incorrect combinations though. So.... I would watch for a "ReTrain Pet Token" to his the store in a few months that will magically allow you to drop one "ability" and add another "ability" in it's place...

Just sayin ;)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
in your case i believe you replaced healing with chiv since they are both considered magic ability's and you can only have one i believe
Nah... it is mainly because Cu's do not gain from about 85 on unless they are curing poison.. and when you throw Chiv on it they quit trying to cure the poison and use Cleanse By Fire instead. Or that has been my experience so far.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A Clean Slate Token to redistribute your pets Initial training points(One Time Use). Would be Good.
No way the system saves that information... they can't even tell a tangle from a normal half apron once its created!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My feeling on this is that the Cu doesn't raise it's "healing" rate despite the rise in it's DEX... In a player the higher your dex the faster you bandage... that doesn't seem to apply to the Cu... Perhaps @Bleak can look into this as well as why it seems to nearly never use it's healing.

I too added the Life Steal thinking this would keep me from having to continually bandage and heal my pet but NO it does not... I see the life steal happen sometime but ONLY when associate it would seem with him using AI... if it's happening at any other time he's stealing such a small amount of life from the mob that it's virtually undetectable.

My guess is that it's life steal is based on a fraction of it's hit..... considering that it's bites don't particularly do a lot of damage even with an AI that would explain you not noticing them... it's healing .05 or something of damage.

Rather like you I'm sad I put that on... I'll see if it's better if I add Chiv... but rather doubting it.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As always they rush the patch without enough testing. There are some abilities that don't seem to be working properly and ruin the pets they are attached to. I put "Magery Mastery" on a fire steed I was training and ruined it. Instead of casting while attacking like a creature that comes with magery naturally [like mares and dragons] it just stands there casting spells till it runs out of mana and then just walks in circles till it regens mana and keeps casting or the target hits it and it fight back.
I was so frustrated to spend days training the steed only to ruin it. They need to fix these damn things and allow GM's to fix broken pets by removing the ability and restoring the training points.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I was that way inclined i'd be thinking they did this on purpose, so that everyone ruins one of their favourite pets......then when they release Pet Amnesia tokens, everyone will buy at least one........:tinhat:

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I was that way inclined i'd be thinking they did this on purpose, so that everyone ruins one of their favourite pets......then when they release Pet Amnesia tokens, everyone will buy at least one........:tinhat:

It'll be 1000 sovs too, "you ruined your favorite pet? Oh well, sucks to be y... whats that? Be more subtle? well ok, anyway, buy the pet amnesia token for 1000 sovs and fix your pet!! Now we won't tell you which abilities are bugged so if you have to buy one again it's all on you!"

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
given the number of powerscrolls and time i wasted on this, in order to make my pet stronger i apparently only screwed him up. He now averages 1 bandy every 15-20 seconds unless poisoned, but makes up for the poisoning by not using any bandy's for a minute or 2. All i can assume is his AI was changed when i up(down)graded him.
When you think it stops doing life steal, look at the pets mana level. The specials need Mana. Nothing you can add to a Cu will take off Bleed and Healing. Not true for other type pets tho.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The stats could be re-rolled when the token is used
Then why not just go tame a new one if you're going to get random stats anyhow? Seems like the point that the OP was making was that he used his "best" cu and it got screwed up... if he isn't gonna get the original stats back, he might as well go tame a random new one.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if it where me and i was gonna use my 'best pet' id transfer over to TC and test it out there first.
but then that seems like a lot of work, what with hitting a couple buttons and all.

i believe this in the IT discipline this is referred too as 'end user error'.

Lightfoot

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He uses mana to heal. I put mana regen 19 on my cu and he heals just fine. When your cu stops healing, he's just regenerating mana. Lore him next time he stops healing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well apparently you have to chose Chivy first if you want it... which sucks... because wouldn't you more rather do stats and such to keep your pet from dying in .2 seconds over taking 1 skill that takes all your points in round 1??

But again this would have been nice to know in the first place. BEFORE I added all that other stuff in the first jump from 3 to 4.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well apparently you have to chose Chivy first if you want it... which sucks... because wouldn't you more rather do stats and such to keep your pet from dying in .2 seconds over taking 1 skill that takes all your points in round 1??

But again this would have been nice to know in the first place. BEFORE I added all that other stuff in the first jump from 3 to 4.
You don't have to choose anything in any order. Put hit points and resists on first to make level 2 easier. You can choose chivalry in the second upgrade.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In fact comparing tanking between two dynos (saurosaurus, and dimetrosaurus) one of which has life steal and the other HPR, the one with HPR tanks much better.
Saurosaurus has Life Leech, not Life Steal. Two entirely separate things. Life Steal is an ability that casts like a spell, inflicting a DoT on the target and healing the pet for the amount of damage that the DoT does, which can be quite minor. Life Leech on the other hand, is a passive ability that functions the same as Life Drain which Vampire Form (20%) or Curse Weapon (50%) grants, half the melee damage the pet inflicts, heals himself, consuming 5 Mana for each hit that leeches life.

I farmed Saurosaurus for hours until i got one to spawn with 85 Physical Resist and 90 Fire Resist. Then i leveled him up and added Powerscrolls to him, then maxed his skills. He's an absolute beast of a tank. Neither the Stygian Dragon nor the Dragon Turtle can scratch him, especially after i Discord them. Just don't use a Saurosaurus or Ossein Ram (which also has Life Leech) against an opponent with Corrupted Life, such as Exodus, Osiredon (Scalis) or Corgul, otherwise they'll take damage from their own leeching. Unfortunately, Saurosaurus cannot learn Special Moves such as AI on production shards, when they were able to on TC during the testing phase.

Last edited:

Turbo

Adventurer
My cu has chiv and it still uses its bandages just like it used to. They seem to wait until they get down to 75% before using it though. Its possible there is a bug with life steal that affects it using healing.
With the curing poison side of things its great having chiv. Sure the gains for healing slow as it cures by casting cleanse by fire but quite often that fails to cure and the bandage goes off right after which usually succeeds. This makes a big difference when fighting high end stuff like nav that poisons often as you can greater heal or vet more often without poison getting in the way.

kazeandi

Adventurer
My Cu heals just fine, also uses Chiv. She also uses both on me when I'm hurt or poisoned. Both Healing and Chivalry go up properly.

tl;dr: No idea WTF you're even talking about. Didn't you "test drive" your pet on TC1, like the rest of us?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You don't have to choose anything in any order. Put hit points and resists on first to make level 2 easier. You can choose chivalry in the second upgrade.
I tried to use Chivy on the second and it kept telling me I needed Chivy to learn Chivy...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I do not think the Pet Revamp has been out long enough (on test and on prod) to say it is underwhelming. I remember those who said the same thing about imbuing when it first hit.. after folks figured out right combinations etc those cries fell by the wayside. I think the revamp will be along the same lines. I do think a lot of scrolls are going to be used on pets who ultimately wind up with incorrect combinations though. So.... I would watch for a "ReTrain Pet Token" to his the store in a few months that will magically allow you to drop one "ability" and add another "ability" in it's place...

Just sayin ;)
Yeah I mean... it's been a week or so, and I know there are some hella powerful combos. I think it will take a while for the more functional pets and stat combos on them to become "standard". I personally don't care about being the uberest, since I very rarely deal with anything boss like, so I'm just happy I can finally use all of my favorite old monsters/animals as functional companions.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Actually, a Cu with Healing, Life Steal and Chivalry functions just fine. Life Steal might not have a huge effect, but it's an additional source of healing.
Healing itself can take place even while the pet casts Chivalry spells - I've heard the sound while it was casting, so worst case it cures by spell and throws a bandage that lands and heals. That's not a bad thing.
If you're afraid that the Cu doesn't gain Healing, have it surrounded by poisoning mobs such as spiders, scorpions or slimes. The skill goes up just fine even if the poison in effect is not mortal/deadly and with frequent enough poisoning, Chivalry for curing it isn't sufficient anyways.
When I parked my Cu in the slime room in underworld, it casted like crazy, but Cleanse wasn't the only spell it used. It actually AOEd the **** out of the group, which it seems to automatically do whenever it's surrounded.

I think those of you who are "underwhelmed" just didn't think through it very deeply. This game has a lot of mechanisms in place to have your pet gain every skill in no time and all pet skills you're talking about in this thread work perfectly well.
I'm with @kazeandi here, you're doing it wrong.
Don't blame the devs. Blame yourselves for being lazy and running to the forum in an attempt to get spoonfed.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not tried it yet but to me Life Steal sounds more like a Necro spell?
Could this be where the issue is arising? Adding Chiv but then adding a Necro skill?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I've not tried it yet but to me Life Steal sounds more like a Necro spell?
Could this be where the issue is arising? Adding Chiv but then adding a Necro skill?
Can't add Necro to the Cu. Sadly only "negative aligned" critters can get that... I am still trying to figure out which ones are neg aligned. Was looking forward to a Cu that could wither :/

*edit*

Duhhhhh... I just caught what you were saying. Good train of thought there but surely the Devs would not have included Life Steal as an option on the Cu if there were going to be issues due to it being aligned with Necro skills... (pssst.. yeah, that is sarcasm :D )

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
He uses mana to heal. I put mana regen 19 on my cu and he heals just fine. When your cu stops healing, he's just regenerating mana. Lore him next time he stops healing.
my cu has max mana regen and alot of mana but his mana never goes more than 25 from max

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Actually, a Cu with Healing, Life Steal and Chivalry functions just fine. Life Steal might not have a huge effect, but it's an additional source of healing.
Healing itself can take place even while the pet casts Chivalry spells - I've heard the sound while it was casting, so worst case it cures by spell and throws a bandage that lands and heals. That's not a bad thing.
If you're afraid that the Cu doesn't gain Healing, have it surrounded by poisoning mobs such as spiders, scorpions or slimes. The skill goes up just fine even if the poison in effect is not mortal/deadly and with frequent enough poisoning, Chivalry for curing it isn't sufficient anyways.
When I parked my Cu in the slime room in underworld, it casted like crazy, but Cleanse wasn't the only spell it used. It actually AOEd the **** out of the group, which it seems to automatically do whenever it's surrounded.

I think those of you who are "underwhelmed" just didn't think through it very deeply. This game has a lot of mechanisms in place to have your pet gain every skill in no time and all pet skills you're talking about in this thread work perfectly well.
I'm with @kazeandi here, you're doing it wrong.
Don't blame the devs. Blame yourselves for being lazy and running to the forum in an attempt to get spoonfed.
Doing what wrong, all my cu's skills are over gm, it is the fact that he is not using healing skill that is the problem

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Saurosaurus has Life Leech, not Life Steal. Two entirely separate things. Life Steal is an ability that casts like a spell, inflicting a DoT on the target and healing the pet for the amount of damage that the DoT does, which can be quite minor. Life Leech on the other hand, is a passive ability that functions the same as Life Drain which Vampire Form (20%) or Curse Weapon (50%) grants, half the melee damage the pet inflicts, heals himself, consuming 5 Mana for each hit that leeches life.

I farmed Saurosaurus for hours until i got one to spawn with 85 Physical Resist and 90 Fire Resist. Then i leveled him up and added Powerscrolls to him, then maxed his skills. He's an absolute beast of a tank. Neither the Stygian Dragon nor the Dragon Turtle can scratch him, especially after i Discord them. Just don't use a Saurosaurus or Ossein Ram (which also has Life Leech) against an opponent with Corrupted Life, such as Exodus, Osiredon (Scalis) or Corgul, otherwise they'll take damage from their own leeching. Unfortunately, Saurosaurus cannot learn Special Moves such as AI on production shards, when they were able to on TC during the testing phase.
Thank you for the explanation. I played a bit more with the Saurosaurus and I have to agree it's a nice tank. I also wanted to see if I could make the Ram into a champ spawn pet. It can be configured with abilities to kill the spawn (AoE), kill the Champ (AI), and to tank (Life leech), but then I run out of points to make the stats reasonable. A pity. Could have been a killer pet.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
My Cu is like yours but mine heals and does everything it is supposed to do. I gave it a huge mana pool, and mana regeneration.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well apparently if you give a Spider Exploding Goo it no longer can be a Necro/mage. Still does Magery but Necro is falling and won't raise... nor does it use any Necromancy and it came off his list of skills but remains on his sheet at 16.4 and dropping .1 with every death.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well apparently if you give a Spider Exploding Goo it no longer can be a Necro/mage. Still does Magery but Necro is falling and won't raise... nor does it use any Necromancy and it came off his list of skills but remains on his sheet at 16.4 and dropping .1 with every death.
So apparently you can't give the Dread Spiders ANY bonus skills... Just an FYI or it quits doing something.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Post a copy of the the 3 Lore and Knowledge pages and the Pet advancements Page and we can tell what the pet in question has and doesn't have.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is one thing that annoys me see he started with 17.0 in both Necro and SS now down to 16.4 through a few deaths:
upload_2017-5-10_17-24-20.png

upload_2017-5-10_17-25-28.png
I didn't take Bushido, Ninjitsu or Chivalry at all.
upload_2017-5-10_17-26-40.png
And the ONLY thing I did add was Explosive Goo... Which obliterated his Necromancy. Not sure why.... He came with Magery and Poisoning... so why that remains and Necro is gone I don't know. I didn't add any other skills to him the menu for them vanished as soon as I chose the Goo.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is one thing that annoys me see he started with 17.0 in both Necro and SS now down to 16.4 through a few deaths:
View attachment 66473

View attachment 66474
I didn't take Bushido, Ninjitsu or Chivalry at all.
View attachment 66475
And the ONLY thing I did add was Explosive Goo... Which obliterated his Necromancy. Not sure why.... He came with Magery and Poisoning... so why that remains and Necro is gone I don't know. I didn't add any other skills to him the menu for them vanished as soon as I chose the Goo.
Need to see the pet advancement page. Its the last page. That will tell us if you did something bad.