• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) And Justice for all?????

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reading the request from Skaros regarding the death of Bladderstick, Lord Sparrow had certain misgivings. Certainly the manner of his death was unsatisfactory and contrary to the rule of law but what purpose could be served by reporting on people talking/gossiping about it?. He had heard a husband and wife arguing about it in Britain, the husband, Laetha was in full support of his demise and the wife, Allyn, opposed, she argued correctly, that it was mob rule and contrary to what should be expected of a civilised society. Whether Laetha actually took part in his summary execution is unknowable, but probable, yet what purpose would be served by knowing?.

There are also a group of Ladies in Nujelm celebrating his passing, they are dancing with joy and bearing in mind the suffering imposed by him in Nujelm, who can blame them?.

As to attaching the blame relating to his death to anyone, Lord Sparrow feels the Crown itself must bear some responsibility. His trial was a travesty, poorly conducted, with the public roaming freely in the court rather than being excluded from proximity to the court and its officers.

Outside the court afterwards, again there was no attempt to prevent access to the prisoner he was allowed to be surrounded by an obviously angry crowd, where were the contingent of guards who should have been there to prevent this?. If you wish the rule of law to prevail there are steps to be taken to ensure it, these were lacking.

As a consequence the incensed crowd took the law into their own hands, which forethought should have foretold. It is an established fact that a mob has no mind of its own, it quickly reaches fever pitch and we have seen what happens next. To what end then investigating afterwards? you cannot punish a mob, there are no ringleaders, the whole are guilty to a greater or lesser degree, any opposed are overwhelmed by the huge majority and anarchy prevails, anarchy is a failure of government.

Bladderstick was responsible for a lot of suffering to a lot of people, his guilt could hardly be called into question, so to allow many of them to be close to him was a major error.

As I feel that much of the blame lies elsewhere I shall report no further on possible members of the crowd present that day and conclude by simply saying there are lessons to be learned from the unfortunate manner of his passing.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With heavy heart Sparrow picked up his pen.

Your Majesty.
I have ever supported the monarchy and will continue to do so but I feel compelled to write and say that I can not and will not support this pursuit of the slayers of Bladderstick (the reasons for which I have posted above) so it saddened me to see these words of yours at the recent Council meeting --

King Blackthorn: 'To search for the people responsible for the lynching of Bladderstick'

To what end? you cannot punish a mob, a mob has no intelligence, it is not a collection of people, it is an entity, of itself, with no reason.

Think on this, everyone there bears some guilt, even if not agreeing and doing nothing therein lies a fault. Of those who participated in his death to what degree is each guilty?. If you punched him, is that sufficient guilt to be punished?, if you hit him once with a stick, is that? what if you hit him twice, sufficient? at what point will punishment ensue?. What if you intended to hit him and the press made it impossible, guilty by intent?

And as to guilt, Bladderstick was a prisoner of the Crown and detestable as he was entitled to its protection. Protection there was none - guards, there were none - The Crown is guilty of negligence in its responsibilities yet has not acknowledged its share of the blame. To allow an angry mob to surround a prisoner is sheer stupidity and the outcome totally foreseeable. Yet we are told that to punish the crowd will be Justice!. Not in my book.

In my view there is no doubt of his guilt and primitive as it was Justice WAS served, We should accept it, learn what needs to be learned and move on, not waste time pursuing persons who were inflamed by the passions of the moment and hardly responsible for their actions.

I remain in loyalty, Sparrow, Duke of Moonglow.

Affixes the ducal seal and calls for a messenger.