• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And another thing

C

CatLord

Cool...

You can ask Podolak about the Royal Boot Camp.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on the Field.

B

Beleg Megil

Ok, everyone chill. Here's the facts of the situation and the timeline.

August of last year, there was a joke started here on stratics and it lead to the possibility of electing a mayor of New Haven. It was expected to be more of an honorary title, as there wasn't really anyone "claiming" towns back then. It was meant for more of a comedy relief thing. Something fun. Something light that people in the RP community came up with. Though not many of the RP community use Stratics, it was mentioned here on stratics. There were campaign posters and jokes, and others running besides James. So the joke bled over to the non-rp community. All in good fun.

This lead to a vote that was held at the Knight's Rest on Tavern night. Why there and not New Haven? Because most of the RP community make time on Tuesday nights to be online and because that's where we gather. Also because not a lot of RPers went to New Haven. It was mostly powergamers, spawners, and people dumping off items for new players. It was not, at that time, a RP "hot spot". If we sat up a table there with a book for voting, it would be snatched in 5 minutes. At the Knight's Rest, it could be locked down. I don't wanna hear any crap about "well, ya coulda done it in New Haven to make it fair" or "ya shoulda done it this way, or that way". Screw that. It was never meant to be anything more than a fun curriosity leading to a fun, honorary title. There was no push for different groups "controlling" different towns back then, nor was there an RBG in the current form.

The office was kinda like someone being elected king of the carnival, or grand marshal of a parade, or given the key to a city.

It was not considered, IC or OOC that the mayor would actually have any affect on game politics, guild relations, or the wellfare/rulership of New Haven.

It was purely for FUN. James was perfect for it. We all expected decrees like...anyone that comes into New Haven on Mondays shall have to present a live fish to the bankers. Friday is orange hat day, violators will be snowballed mercilessly. On the thirteenth of each month, visitors to New Haven must speak only in rhymes.

Only relatively recently has Pitr got this whole RBG thing up and running. Its a little different than the established RP community that has been in place since 1997. I think Pitr is trying to integrate the RBG into the existing community, and that is fine. We could always use more role players.

Now, here is the problem.... while its an admirable thing, wanting unity and all, the established community will NOT take kindly to re-writing shard history and expecting us to drop something we are already playing out just because the "new blood" has come up with an idea that contradicts something already in place and the RBG didn't check to see if that was the case. James was the mayor as elected by the RP community that existed at the time and it hasn't even been a year since that election. The RBG has come along and wants there to be a more serious, less "honorary" mayor. To complicate this more, there is an NPC with the title "Mayor of New Haven".

My personal opinion on the matter is towns should not be claimed in an "official" manner by any guild or person unless the following criteria is met:

1.) There is one unified Role Playing Community. We aren't quite there yet.

2.) There can't be an NPC in place with the name of the office that a player wants to hold. Mesanna could fix that by hiding the NPC in Haven or changing the name, I think. I'm not sure if she is part of a Quest chain, that would complicate things.

3.) If the RP Community wants to start claiming rulership of towns, like they are playing officially recognized representatives of Queen Dawn, the *unified* RP Community will have to have the cooperation and blessing of Kasaven and Nathaniel. If your guild is taking it upon itself to PROTECT a town, that's fine. Claiming to be part of that town's GOVERNMENT will lead to all kinds of problems and confusion and hurt feelings unless its sanctioned by the EMs. Kinda like,...oh, I dunno...NOW??

So, if we wanna fix this, here are the solutions as I see them.

1.) Unified RP Community, following the same ROE, full of players that are actually here to Role Play, not just be themselves behind a toon, participating in a Trammel version of Factions. Then we could speak to the EMs and maybe have SANCTIONED town governments, fair elections, and players doing the parts of the officials instead of a stagnant NPC....that is, of course, if QUEEN Dawn would allow any form of democracy. She may be a good but controlling dictator who appoints all officials. Who knows?

2.) No "official" town governments controlled by players of any type. Sure, one or more guilds could *protect* a town and that militia could hold elections for civilian liasons between, for example, the RBG of New Haven and the residents and visitors of the town. You'll just need to come up with a title that sounds a little less like you are part of Queen Dawn's monarchy or government.

All that being said, everyone is taking this WAY too far. Stop fighting, start fixing. If this is the direction RP is going to go, we have to be on the same page or no one is going to have any fun and its not gonna work. And if we are going to be one big community, it will NOT be at the expense of trampling on the existing community.

B

Beleg Megil

Very well put Zuckuss. With what has transpired in this forum the last week or so,it is pretty clear that there is a huge change coming in the RP landscape. I,for one,welcome it.But there's this problem with some of the "old guard" when comes to change. They don't want it and will fight to keep it from happening.

I liken it to a two-party political system where some of the "incumbits" are being voted out for some fresh faces. This loss of the feeling of security and "power" can be unsettling. They have been the center of all things RP for so long,that they expect for everyone else to bend to what they think is right. If you don't,you and your RP attempts will be ignored and you will be spoken of harshly in forums.
I do not mind change at all, as long as it is GOOD change that doesn't lower quality in favor of quantity. Yes, I will fight against change if it deems speaking on screen like a lolcat from icanhazcheeseburger or whatever as acceptible RP. Yes I will fight change if it tramples over and rewrites established shard history.

And yes, I will fight change if that change is allowing a teenage drama queen with no grasp of reality or common sense to throw a hissy when people don't follow her script, or allow her to be an insulting, disrespectful forum troll.

I'm sure some will welcome *any* change to the RP landscape, good or bad, because the "old guard" has figured out they are a bad apple and don't want them spoiling the bunch. The "new guard" maybe won't know any better. But I'm pretty sure the "new guard" will catch on eventually that the rotten apple isn't getting any fresher no matter how many times it tries to roll back into the barrel.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gah!!!!!!

Ok then lets settle this in a mature manner. Bunnyman is some kind of joke in some sort if I'm reading this right. If the old guard wants Bunnyman in and the new guard wants somebody else in then why dont we just have a vote set up by the EM of Catskills. If Bunnyman isnt really a char or npc in the game he really doesnt exist right? I'd rather see a char actually playing the role of deputy mayor then one that isnt real.

Yes Im calling for a shard vote and a full week for the shard to be able to vote. Bunnyman versus who wants to be the deputy mayor. At least in this way it isnt disturbing or erasing history just adding to the history with a political showdown. Then we all can move on whoever wins it.

V

Victoria Navarre

I do not mind change at all, as long as it is GOOD change that doesn't lower quality in favor of quantity. Yes, I will fight against change if it deems speaking on screen like a lolcat from icanhazcheeseburger or whatever as acceptible RP. Yes I will fight change if it tramples over and rewrites established shard history.
So you see those that have less experence as "lolcats" or the dreaded *gasp* L337 Sp3ak players rp'ers enjoy shunning. Why don't you go ahead and truthful? Go ahead and just say you don't mind change as long as you decide what is actually changed.

And yes, I will fight change if that change is allowing a teenage drama queen with no grasp of reality or common sense to throw a hissy when people don't follow her script, or allow her to be an insulting, disrespectful forum troll.
Me? A drama queen? Maybe I should copy/paste your own hissy fit here that you IM'd Hunter a few months ago? Pot calling the Kettle black are we?

I'm sure some will welcome *any* change to the RP landscape, good or bad, because the "old guard" has figured out they are a bad apple and don't want them spoiling the bunch. The "new guard" maybe won't know any better. But I'm pretty sure the "new guard" will catch on eventually that the rotten apple isn't getting any fresher no matter how many times it tries to roll back into the barrel.
And some,like you,doesn't want change at all because they would lose their over-reaching influence in the community.

C

CatLord

I Agree Beleg... only one mistake I can point out.

No one is trying to take over towns.

Guild wise...

- even if a guild would claim a town, it would not be a smart thing to do... it would however start the discussion. :gee:
- we decided that the new haven township would have a deputy mayor.
That was a poor choice of title... but heck we had a meeting to discuss it and it sounded ok at the time.
http://www.uoforums.com/general-dis...alliance-meeting-sun-5-2-9-00-pm-eastern.html

I guess the right word is still to be found...

Basically someone that is in New Haven and enjoys interacting with people.

Again, the choice of this title started another discussion.

So for the record and so it is very clear... none of the guilds that are with RBG are taking over towns... nor becoming its leaders.

However no one can prevent them from writing a story about it... develop their own lore... as long as no one is stepped upon.

That is why we waited 9 months for James... and when nothing was done... we moved on... held a Haven Census and held Elections...
Then Dove got that abusive treatment... AFTER we voted and had community roleplayers around, so they knew it was our official choice... I wonder why they forgot to come forward sooner...

Our story... is that one. We dont need permission or approval.

RBG wise:

Everyone is invited to join us or create their own town guards... we dont hold any kind of monopoly over any town... but we kept our word. RBG belongs to the shard and freedom/independence is given to our Captains.

In New Haven, yes, we defend the Township...
In the Abyss, we defend the Outpost...
In Umbra, we defend the town...
In Wind, we're not sure... we never got in there, somekind of ward...

We are creating a story... we are inviting people to join/interact/enjoy...

However we dont need approval or permission.

We have asked alot of question and got alot of information from many of the elders... and we respected everyone.

That is all we can do.

:grouphug:

C

CatLord

drama queen?

That is my middle name!

Now seriously...

good apples, bad apples... sexy apples...

Victoria... one request please...

Grab your backpack and come try it out.
Bring hunter...
Heck you will even play alongside with Beleg...

If you want to be underhanded, fail on the cross healing on the upcoming event versus the Banites... and Beleg char will have a painfull death because your bandage failed...

But all this board warring about the past... that is something I would do in my first immature 6 years of stratics... and trust me, it wont get you no where.

You get alot more people pissed if you actually get something running that is fun and enjoyable for all.

Made sense?

*spider sense warning... incoming lock*

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I would love to know who you are refering to as the "teenage drama queen."
Please do elaborate.

In your above post you acknowledge that the who thing was a running joke, but then you try to bring points that the vote was valid. I am confused as to which you are trying to back, as you have acknowledged both.

The part where it went beyond a joke to me is the part where a member was pushed away by the supposed "elders of rp" over an issue of title. This apparent joke (which was what I thought it was back when I recall seeing the posts) was then spoken of as if it was shard history in the roleplaying community and that it was indeed followed.

Nobody from RBG came here with ultimatums, no one has told anyone that "it's our way or the highway."

Community involvement has been what this is all about, but to my surprise it is the elder(s) tossing around the ultimatums, insisting that division will remain in the RP community because the RBG has done something a certain way. The RBG is not trying to step on anyon's toes but teh second there was an announcement of a deputy mayor, counter-productive semi-attacks have rolled in, with the primary argument being that New Haven Already has a deputy mayor.

Let me tell you what.

Outr forums are 100% public. All discussion to anything RBG related is completely viewable by the community. No, you don't have to have an account to read. The other RP sites mentioned here and there have required membership to even be able to view a thread and apparently posting certain ideas an opinons on such boards can get you in trouble, thus keeping out a certain percentage of the community. I am not trying to advertise our boards. I am making the point that all progress is right there for everyone to see, no surprises.

I have personaly extended the interest to multiple people the benefit of working together to come up with a unified story and to interact together. Those of you know who you are and I am still waiting. You act really nice on ICQ but then you come here and post your jokes and ultimatums. You post your minimum requirements for participation and it is becoming evident to me that such behavior will indeed only hurt Cats as a whole. This is about the shard as a whole, not any one person.

V

Victoria Navarre

I will be joining Val's guild as soon as he is able to add me....as for Hunter...he doesn't play UO anymore.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gah!!!!!!

Ok then lets settle this in a mature manner. Bunnyman is some kind of joke in some sort if I'm reading this right. If the old guard wants Bunnyman in and the new guard wants somebody else in then why dont we just have a vote set up by the EM of Catskills. If Bunnyman isnt really a char or npc in the game he really doesnt exist right? I'd rather see a char actually playing the role of deputy mayor then one that isnt real.

Yes Im calling for a shard vote and a full week for the shard to be able to vote. Bunnyman versus who wants to be the deputy mayor. At least in this way it isnt disturbing or erasing history just adding to the history with a political showdown. Then we all can move on whoever wins it.
Well ya see, if I wanted to act like several others, I would simply say:

"I don't acknowledge Bunnyman as a legit candidate. Any vote pertaining to him will not be honored or acknowledged. And that is too bad"

Vote if you want, but I seriously hope whoever is in the position will actually show up and be there and help the community, which is all we were trying to do when we made this RBG story.

Ask those who have spoken out against the RBG to sell us what Mr. Bunnyman's campaign plan is because we have yet to actually hear from the man himself.

It was the reaction of hearing that we made a deputy mayor is what started all of this. We did not go out of our way to start any quarrels here, our loyal opposition did.... the same people then saying it was a joke.

First a joke, then not a joke, then it's a joke again. You guys need to seriously work on your senses of humor.

C

CatLord

Beleg was right... Victoria, you ARE evil!

(Warning! The above message is IC... dont report me)

V

Victoria Navarre

I would love to know who you are refering to as the "teenage drama queen."
That would be me that he is refering to. The rp'ing powers-that-be in an old,dead forum demanded "sheeple" for members. I refused to follow rules that were applied unfairly and with heavy bias toward the admins friends.

C

CatLord

If you think Victoria is...just wait until you meet Aryss

Why do I feel I just dug a nice hole...

... and please let go of the old argument.

We need people to write events, story lines and to some extent, even if that is currently zuckuss job, keep me in line...

V

Victoria Navarre

There is no such thing as not playing UO anymore... there are small, medium and long breaks... :gee:
I agree with that but right now,he is really focusing on getting his degree and of course working full time. We both want to retire before retirement age you see. Not bad for a drama queen huh? *snickers*

V

Victoria Navarre

RBG standard issue...

Silver platemail gorgets...
Hmm so Aryss would have to wear the rbg issue items? Silver makes her break out in a rash,and it gets all itchy and everything.

C

CatLord

Genetic vulnerability hum...

Well, please visit our site and tell us what you think...

B

Beleg Megil

So you see those that have less experence as "lolcats" or the dreaded *gasp* L337 Sp3ak players rp'ers enjoy shunning. Why don't you go ahead and truthful? Go ahead and just say you don't mind change as long as you decide what is actually changed.
Oh ye of little reading comprehension yet massive assumption..... No. I mean exactly what I typed. Here is a smaller sentence for you: "L337 Sp3ak" is not role playing. And of the 2 of us, I am certainly not the one with the problem being truthful.

Me? A drama queen? Maybe I should copy/paste your own hissy fit here that you IM'd Hunter a few months ago? Pot calling the Kettle black are we?
You thought that applied to you, ey? Very telling. And the only part you take issue with is possibly being labled a drama queen? The rest is alright?
Lebrun/Hunter's Moon had a problem with me because I supported the decision to ban you from the Catskills site for...well, behavior like this. I respected Lebrun before all of this mess with you, so when HE sent a threatening/flame PM to ME first, I responded civily until he refused to be civil. Then I told him in a short, succinct manner of what I thought of him, you, and my lack of need to have anything to do with either of you anymore. Again, it was a Private Message. Not the trolling you have been doing whenever you see an opening. But if you feel the need to cut and paste a private message and its not against forum rules, feel free. I'll help you understand what I typed.

And some,like you,doesn't want change at all because they would lose their over-reaching influence in the community.

As I stated previously (again, reading comprehension) I am for GOOD change not change that will lower the quality of the role play. And you know what the funny thing with influence on the internet is? You can't buy it. You can't muscle it. Unlike the real world, the only way you can get influence on the internet, especially in an online game, is to earn it. And if I have any? That's how it happened.

Word of advice for ya, don't look for hidden meanings in what I say or try to twist my words to fit your agenda. I'll tell you EXACTLY how I feel.

C

CatLord

Hum... can we take you both to the Boot Camp and you solve your argument there?

I can promise you a huge amount of frustration and death robes...

(oh, I'm keeping the peace on stratics... now I have seen it all)

B

Beleg Megil

Beleg and the rest of Silverwood don't know enough about Queen Dawn or the RBG to even consider supporting either yet, hehe. Silverwood has demonstrated they are distrustfull of royalty (or organizations with the word "Royal" in them) until the trust is earned.

After all, we were the ones that pegged Casca for a bad guy first and planned his death. Who's to say Dawn is any better? ;)

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look ya'll. We could truley do something amazing for UO, not just cats but UO. The genius minds that we have within the community could accomplish very much if petty disputes and unimportant arguments are put on the shelf.

It all is much bigger than any one of us, and we can make the game better.

My ICQ is 37533374.

C

CatLord

Our envoy to Yew is missing in action... so I cant help you there.

Isnt Dawn from Yew?

B

Beleg Megil

Dunno, I can't really find much "official" info on Dawn. I swear I have an action figure of her in my storage unit and she's a Meer. I could be wrong. I don't feel like driving in town to check. I think I vaguely remember Dawn last appearing when Yew was a swamp.

B

Beleg Megil

Don't worry, show's over. I put her on ignore, nothing of value was lost, yadda yadda. Now I'm more interested in trying to find a bio on Dawn.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, as I've stated before, we should ALL leave the NPC cities alone --- keep the RP to the player-ran towns for those that work hard to build it, they can run it and have a say in what happens there. We should NOT be doing anything other than providing "additional assistance" to NPC cities, especially those guilds that have towns near them should have first dibs at the defense of those cities, BUT no one guild or person should claim it. Personally, that's inviting a ton of freaking drama that takes away from REAL role play.

So is there anyway that we can agree to a few things???

1) No one guild, group, or person making any NPC city "theirs" to govern. (Those that have something going on in NPC cities could restructure a bit.)

2) No player-ran towns getting "attacked" with the leaders knowing. (Aedon, your reply about not knowing Aegis was included in a story plot bothered me, as I am sure bothered you.)

3) RBG should have 1 Captain per city and an administrator. Nothing else. It shouldn't be a "working guild". That increases the chances of an EM taking it over as has been stated is the desire. RBC would still need to "vouche" the captains in as originally planned.

4) Guilds that have established player-ran cities and are ACTIVELY ran (meaning events, staffings, etc.) should get first dibs as "PROTECTORS" of the cities around their player-ran towns. They can then set the command for that as they see fit within their own guilds.

This would help to clearly define some boundaries we all can share. AGAIN --- I am only looking at this from an outsider's prespective. As one that has NO recent history with the community. Sometimes that point of view is sorely needed.

Thoughts?

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dunno, I can't really find much "official" info on Dawn. I swear I have an action figure of her in my storage unit and she's a Meer. I could be wrong. I don't feel like driving in town to check. I think I vaguely remember Dawn last appearing when Yew was a swamp.
You asked for and here it is..

Developer Chat: Volume 8

Creating a New Lead Character
By - Jonathan "Calandryll" Hanna

When the idea was first proposed to write a comic book in collaboration with Todd McFarlane, based on the Ultima Online Lord Blackthorn’s Revenge expansion, our first thought was to create the story of Lord Blackthorn himself. After all, that is the name of the game! But after thinking about it for a while, we realized that Lord Blackthorn already had a history, and his story will be told through the in-game fiction. Rather than tell the tale of our villain, we decided to tell the tale of our new heroine... Dawn.

The first question players might ask is why we created a new character instead of using some of the better-known companions in Ultima lore, such as Dupre the Paladin or Iolo the Bard. The reason for this is two-fold. Firstly, in traditional Ultima lore, these characters have always played a supporting role. In the single player games, they were the supporting cast to the Avatar, the character the players controlled. Secondly, as we are introducing a Virtue System into UO, a system allowing players to earn rewards through virtuous deeds, we wanted to create a character that could symbolize "virtue". Each of the companions in Ultima lore has traditionally represented only one virtue.

Changing one character to suddenly represent all of the virtues not only felt wrong to us, but also seemed to be very inconsistent with what had already been established. In the end, we decided that creating a new character - someone unique to Ultima Online but based heavily on the spirit of Ultima lore - was the best choice. Fans of the traditional characters will be happy to know, though, that the companions will still play important roles. In fact, anyone who has ever wanted to see just how good Dupre is with a sword and shield will be very pleased with his role in the comic!

The next question one might ask is, "Is Dawn the Avatar from the single player games then?" The answer is no, she is not. Dawn represents the virtues in UO, and will serve as a rallying point for the forces of good, but she is by no means the avatar. In fact, part of the concept behind the Virtue System is that any player will be able to achieve high status and rewards in all eight of the virtues... although doing so will be very, very challenging.

When designing the character of Dawn, we really wanted to create someone that the players would be drawn to. Mostly, we wanted Dawn to be a contrast to the dark and edgy look and personality of Lord Blackthorn. Creating a new character, virtually from scratch, is no easy task, however. It was important to us that Dawn not be of noble birth, but rather have an air of leadership about her... something we hope the comic book will demonstrate. We wanted her to represent "the people," and earn any titles she may receive rather than be born or created with them.

It was also essential to tie Dawn closely to the virtues in a fictionally sound manner, something else the comic book will reveal. Another aspect of the character we wanted to portray clearly is that she isn't perfect. All too often in fantasy fiction, the main character is someone who is virtually flawless, as the writer worries that mistakes or poor choices will tarnish the character's "good-guy" image. When deciding how we would use Dawn, both in the comic and in the game, we wanted to be sure that we portrayed her as a real person, with all of the faults and flaws that make us human. Dawn is being thrust into a role that she not only doesn't want, but will also resist.

Where Dawn grows from here will largely depend on how she is received by the players. We have no definite plans for her at the moment because we really want her to evolve just like a real person, rather than through some forced scripted story. But before she can travel through the land of Britannia, she needs to start somewhere and the McFarlane comic presents the reader with a captivating tale as the "dawn of virtue" begins in Ultima Online!

Thats from here: http://www.uolbr.com/diaries_8.html Oh by the way the Meer figure was of Captain Dasha, not of Dawn. Dawn is a human female.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Pandora, and I think the best way to work all this out is to keep it off the boards. Let relationships be built with interaction in game. The more you take issues outside of game the more drama occurs. Most the time it really is a misunderstanding of the language used to express an idea.

B

Beleg Megil

Thank you, Vallend, and bless your pointy little head! And yes, Captain Dasha! I think there were 4 or 5 different action figures, each with a comic book in the package. I never opened them to read them. Your info helps fill in the gaps, thanks again!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, as I've stated before, we should ALL leave the NPC cities alone --- keep the RP to the player-ran towns for those that work hard to build it, they can run it and have a say in what happens there. We should NOT be doing anything other than providing "additional assistance" to NPC cities, especially those guilds that have towns near them should have first dibs at the defense of those cities, BUT no one guild or person should claim it. Personally, that's inviting a ton of freaking drama that takes away from REAL role play.

So is there anyway that we can agree to a few things???

1) No one guild, group, or person making any NPC city "theirs" to govern. (Those that have something going on in NPC cities could restructure a bit.)

2) No player-ran towns getting "attacked" with the leaders knowing. (Aedon, your reply about not knowing Aegis was included in a story plot bothered me, as I am sure bothered you.)

3) RBG should have 1 Captain per city and an administrator. Nothing else. It shouldn't be a "working guild". That increases the chances of an EM taking it over as has been stated is the desire. RBC would still need to "vouche" the captains in as originally planned.

4) Guilds that have established player-ran cities and are ACTIVELY ran (meaning events, staffings, etc.) should get first dibs as "PROTECTORS" of the cities around their player-ran towns. They can then set the command for that as they see fit within their own guilds.

This would help to clearly define some boundaries we all can share. AGAIN --- I am only looking at this from an outsider's prespective. As one that has NO recent history with the community. Sometimes that point of view is sorely needed.

Thoughts?
That is a very reasonable post and a very accurate conclusion.

I think I'll ignore it! :lol:

Kidding... I agree with most of what you said except #2.

The plot was created and executed by the EM, and is part of the conditions of having the pretty decorations in front of our houses. And since I'm not on as much as I'd like to be, I actually welcome people to use Red Skull Bay (UP territory) in any way they want, so long as I don't have to work for any change they make (i.e. an IM saying "I burned down the black market, I expect you to change the house to make it so" will be summarily ignored and the sender removed from my contact list).

Likewise, you can pretty much use the United Pirates characters in any way you want, since the stories are told from your perspective, which may not match ours (and face it, even real life news stories have made up information in them far too often!). But using characters from other guilds whom I won't mention, will result in being severely lectured at.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is:

1. Get to know the people you want to play with.

2. Respect them and their play styles.

This whole discussion (And the one preceeding it) stems from one voice who had done neither before typing, which then prompted the same behavior as a response. In the end, nobody wins, since a new person is looking at Catskills right now and saying "These guys do nothing but bicker at each other. I'm moving to Europa to stack boxes all day and call it RP!" (that's a joke, by the way. I mean no offense to Europa or the roleplayers there)

And if my second way of phrasing things was too much, here's a third way.

RESPECT

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a very reasonable post and a very accurate conclusion.

I think I'll ignore it! :lol:

Kidding... I agree with most of what you said except #2.

The plot was created and executed by the EM, and is part of the conditions of having the pretty decorations in front of our houses. And since I'm not on as much as I'd like to be, I actually welcome people to use Red Skull Bay (UP territory) in any way they want, so long as I don't have to work for any change they make (i.e. an IM saying "I burned down the black market, I expect you to change the house to make it so" will be summarily ignored and the sender removed from my contact list).

Likewise, you can pretty much use the United Pirates characters in any way you want, since the stories are told from your perspective, which may not match ours (and face it, even real life news stories have made up information in them far too often!). But using characters from other guilds whom I won't mention, will result in being severely lectured at.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is:

1. Get to know the people you want to play with.

2. Respect them and their play styles.

This whole discussion (And the one preceeding it) stems from one voice who had done neither before typing, which then prompted the same behavior as a response. In the end, nobody wins, since a new person is looking at Catskills right now and saying "These guys do nothing but bicker at each other. I'm moving to Europa to stack boxes all day and call it RP!" (that's a joke, by the way. I mean no offense to Europa or the roleplayers there)

And if my second way of phrasing things was too much, here's a third way.

RESPECT
Actually the attacks happening was to go hand in hand with getting the teleporters to the fairgrounds, which I turned down. Seeing that the deal has been altered I have already requested the pond be removed from Aegis.

No player run town should find itself open to attacks by the EM's of the shard without contacting the ones who hold the town.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you made a different deal than we did and I apologize for the misinformation.

Would be a pity to lose the pond, the sea horse (Aedon *chuckles*) and the sea serpent (does he have a name yet?). I rather likes it! And it gives me a place to sit and fish while I'm waiting for anyone to wander through Aegis.

I hate playing off hours sometimes!

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No player run town should find itself open to attacks by the EM's of the shard without contacting the ones who hold the town.
See. I completely agree with Aedon, imagine that! LOL (*winks at Aedon*)

I feel that if a player takes the time to recruit others, build a guild, make a plan for a city, and works months (even years) on end to make the city a nice player-ran establishment. No matter what, the storylines should be somehow submitted to the leadership that put ALL THAT HARD WORK to make that happen. It is RESPECT to do so.

Now what you are saying is: If an EM wants to do something in your town and you (being not an active player) don't really care, BUT you say, "do with my town as you wish but here are the conditions --- dont destroy my buildings, I am not changing my buildings to suit you. Etc. etc."

How is that any different than us who DO actively play saying, here is OUR conditions: "Do not hold storyline plots that involve my city without my knowing and input!"

That's basically the same thing.

Oh and no where on the EM's site regarding banners and teleporters does it say, "we hold the right to use the town as we see fit"... http://catskills.uoem.net/?p=376 Again, another point for Aedon. :) Aedon I wouldn't removed my banner, I would point out that no where does it say they can use your town and request that they contact you (and actually get a hold of you) before continuing.

You know EM's have NPC CITIES they can take over to do stuff with... I see no lack of "facilities" to continue storyline plots.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you made a different deal than we did and I apologize for the misinformation.

Would be a pity to lose the pond, the sea horse (Aedon *chuckles*) and the sea serpent (does he have a name yet?). I rather likes it! And it gives me a place to sit and fish while I'm waiting for anyone to wander through Aegis.

I hate playing off hours sometimes!

*chuckles*

I secretly had plans to blow that sea horse up. The serpents I think were Kasaven's calling cards. It was a hoot to walk outside and be confronted by some snarling, hissing thing.

I think perhaps after the portal thing seemed to fall off, (the cake was after all a lie) it may have been changed to the banners spelled sudden DOOM, and I just did not get the message. (lost in translation?)

I suppose if Aegis were full of folks able to arise in defense it would not be an issue. But really, mob spawns on the front lawn are tearing up the flower beds, and scaring off the paying customers.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See. I completely agree with Aedon, imagine that! LOL (*winks at Aedon*)

I feel that if a player takes the time to recruit others, build a guild, make a plan for a city, and works months (even years) on end to make the city a nice player-ran establishment. No matter what, the storylines should be somehow submitted to the leadership that put ALL THAT HARD WORK to make that happen. It is RESPECT to do so.

Now what you are saying is: If an EM wants to do something in your town and you (being not an active player) don't really care, BUT you say, "do with my town as you wish but here are the conditions --- dont destroy my buildings, I am not changing my buildings to suit you. Etc. etc."

How is that any different than us who DO actively play saying, here is OUR conditions: "Do not hold storyline plots that involve my city without my knowing and input!"

That's basically the same thing.

Oh and no where on the EM's site regarding banners and teleporters does it say, "we hold the right to use the town as we see fit"... http://catskills.uoem.net/?p=376 Again, another point for Aedon. :) Aedon I wouldn't removed my banner, I would point out that no where does it say they can use your town and request that they contact you (and actually get a hold of you) before continuing.

You know EM's have NPC CITIES they can take over to do stuff with... I see no lack of "facilities" to continue storyline plots.
*chuckles* Aye, imagine that, we are in agreement.

I would like to go on to state that the EM's on this shard, and Mesana have put a great deal of time and effort into bringing life not only into the RP villages, but the shard as a whole. And I know I am not alone in my admiration, respect and gratitude.

In creating the pond in Aegis, Mesana captured the essence of the village. I will long cherish the many screenshots I took of it.

We are living in an ineresting time here. UO has for some time now stood on the percipice starying into the abyss. Many games that stood when she was created are long gone. And though talk of her doom has dogged the past few years, UO continues as a testament to her creator, and those who continue to make Sosaria their home.

And when, at a time when many of us saw her end of days these people, our EM's and Mesana put forth such great efforts on our behalf, no matter what the outcomes may be, or which of us do or do not like what is done. We have to take pause, and thank them for all they have done.

For yesterday, for the time we spend in game this week, and for the dream of some future for Sosaria. I thank you all.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RP towns are a tricky subject. I can understand both sides. Though I side with those that put years of effort into building their towns, lets not forget what destroyed this program the first time around.

I think EMs should contact those who run player tows early into concepting the next event arc to hash out the story. Then leave the rest up to the EMs.

C

Corvak

I dont think they should have to disclose their plot lines or anything, but the people living in the area to be involved should be notified.

Just something simple like "Is it ok if theres a combat event in Aegis at 9PM on Tuesday?" or something.

I am ashamed to admit, I don't know many of the RP players in the game, or the history behind their towns, but I think it makes Catskills unique, and should be included into the EM story arcs.

Some of us may be mucking around, playing at being guards in Haven or some other existing location in the game. It is by far not original, and it's been done on a bunch of shards.

But roleplaying in your own town, built from nothing but player housing and your own storyline? That's something unique to a shard, and something special. There is no Aegis, or Jolly Roger Bay on any other shard. That's what has caused UO to endure for so long. Each server is really it's own world, and not just a copy of the same world chosen based on timezone or your latency.

I think if the EMs and the folks in player towns work together, they can really come up with something uniquely Catskills. :)

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But roleplaying in your own town, built from nothing but player housing and your own storyline? That's something unique to a shard, and something special.
That's something unique to this game... its why folks like me come back to it. There is NO REAL ROLE PLAYING in any other game but this one.

In Dark Age of Camelot the storyline was made for us --- three factions (Hibernia, Albion, Midgard) at war with each other; no real way to change that. Same thing for WoW, its all the pre-history that was already built into the Warcraft games; again no real way to change that. No other game has the ability to do that because of PLAYER HOUSING. DAOC has player housing but they did it in such an assanine way because it wasn't placed around the working world (its on a separate "instance"). WoW has no player housing... no housing areas and probably never will. What Richard Garriott did right from the beginning was incorporate housing into the regular player world. That's what allows the level of RP we see in UO. Its what keeps players interested and even what draws old players like me to return to it. Love this game!

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter