• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ancient Worlds UO Article

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
One of the better more recent articles. I caught this on my commute home last night and thought it was something recycled, but looks like date stamp on it is from earlier this week. Nice write up and chat about the game, good overall perspective for both gamers of both casual interest and serious interest in Ultima Online.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good article. A new perspective on the game than some other articles. I liked how he started with the population history then he explored why the game is still going almost twenty years after the peak population.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
One of the better more recent articles. I caught this on my commute home last night and thought it was something recycled, but looks like date stamp on it is from earlier this week. Nice write up and chat about the game, good overall perspective for both gamers of both casual interest and serious interest in Ultima Online.
I thought they did a nice job providing the different perspectives too. glad they took the time to interview players and snippets about free shards.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Good article. A new perspective on the game than some other articles. I liked how he started with the population history then he explored why the game is still going almost twenty years after the peak population.
Yep, I never gave the sunk cost concept much thought but it’s probably true along with nostalgia.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can’t imagine he bothered to try the game as you do start out now with lots of ncp’s with exclamation points above thier heads.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
article talked about kingdom reborn release lol. maybe didn't know was scrapped.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Eh, it was nostalgic to read. Sorta fun. Especially the pic of the two home owners talking like they were the original Tony and Ezekiel.
(Almost thought it was me and my cousin at first)

But then you come across stuff like this in the article:

"There is no doubt that Ultima Online had an enormous influence on the MMO genre."

No kidding? Wow, that's incredible, especially since the PANCAKING acronym 'MMORPG' was created by Richard PANCAKING Garriott!

And before you say M59 or any of those other early online games beat UO to the punch, they never had the kind of numbers that solidified the word MASSIVELY in MMO.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
article talked about kingdom reborn release lol. maybe didn't know was scrapped.
I think it was just for the timeline and progression of development. most notably the "updated graphics" even though they were trash. i still remember the box it came in and the figure inside of it. im sure i still have it somewhere, i think.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Can’t imagine he bothered to try the game as you do start out now with lots of ncp’s with exclamation points above thier heads.
is this in the enhanced client? ive never been one do to quests.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Apart from "MMORPG" I think Richard Garriott also coined terms such as "nerf" and "shard" in relation to UO. UO had a much bigger influence on the online gaming scence than Meridian or so, even if UO is not the oldest MMO in continuous operation.