• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ancient Smith Hammers

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since it is possible to now use Forged Metal of Artifacts when enhancing, is there still any practical use for Ancient Smith Hammers ? If so, for what ?

Thanks.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since it is possible to now use Forged Metal of Artifacts when enhancing, is there still any practical use for Ancient Smith Hammers ? If so, for what ?

Thanks.
Ancient Smith Hammers increase your crafting success chance for normal and exceptional items, see here: http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/blacksmithing.php. A legendary blacksmith (@ 120.0 skill) cannot make all of the items 100% of the time without the use of an ASH and/or talisman.

I wish there was an ASH equivalent for other crafting skills.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Dragon barding for instance, a stable in any proper tank class's defensive arsenal, at 120 smith + a good talisman is still only ~85% or something to make exceptional. Exceptional armor soaks more damage than non-exceptional. As far as I know, they cannot be smelted, so any ones that turn out normal are basically a waste of 750 ingots. 120 smithy + talisman + 15ASH I believe gives 100% exceptional chance, I believe.

Alternately, lets say you wanted to fill a LBOD for a valorite hammer. 120 smithy + talisman doesn't give you 100% exceptional chance on the tunics. Every "wasted" valorite ingot costs 1500 gold. Every smelting only returns 75% ingots. So every valorite tunic made non-exceptionally = 9k gp wasted.

Or, lets just assume that you want to enhance stuff, but would rather not spend real world money on the forged metal...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragon barding for instance, a stable in any proper tank class's defensive arsenal, at 120 smith + a good talisman is still only ~85% or something to make exceptional. Exceptional armor soaks more damage than non-exceptional. As far as I know, they cannot be smelted, so any ones that turn out normal are basically a waste of 750 ingots. 120 smithy + talisman + 15ASH I believe gives 100% exceptional chance, I believe.

Alternately, lets say you wanted to fill a LBOD for a valorite hammer. 120 smithy + talisman doesn't give you 100% exceptional chance on the tunics. Every "wasted" valorite ingot costs 1500 gold. Every smelting only returns 75% ingots. So every valorite tunic made non-exceptionally = 9k gp wasted.

Or, lets just assume that you want to enhance stuff, but would rather not spend real world money on the forged metal...

The thing is, that the odds for enhancing using an ancient smith are very low and since enhancing is the very last step after reforging, powdering and imbuing, who'd want to take much risks enhancing a piece that already used up so much cost in runics, materials, time ?

And the filling of LBODs even with valorite ingots I see it as no biggie since smelting returns enough ingots back.

The only possible valid argument in favour of Ancient Smith Hammers would possibly be Dragon barding but even that, considering that a mere +15 ASH would bring 100% exceptional barding chance, does not add much in favour of ASHs..... at least, for the +30 and +60 ASHs......

So, I am really not sure why one would want to get Ancient Smith Hammers nowadays....

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You asked if there was a practical use for them. There is. I used math to prove it. Math is indisputible.

You make a straw man arguement as to whether that practical use represents enough ROI for your liking.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran

Those are exact all ways how I use them.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is, that the odds for enhancing using an ancient smith are very low and since enhancing is the very last step after reforging, powdering and imbuing, who'd want to take much risks enhancing a piece that already used up so much cost in runics, materials, time ?
Before the Forged Metal tool, it was all there was to help with the odds. The odds to enhance any piece of armor have always been poor, at best.

So, I am really not sure why one would want to get Ancient Smith Hammers nowadays....
Once you get into regularly filling Blacksmith BODs, you will have so many ASH's of all types, they are almost unavoidable (see here:
http://www.towerofroses.de/bods-lrw.htm). If you have little/no use for them, then you can either: 1)Turn them in for Clean-U points; 2)Sell them to those who do.

If you have any thoughts as to how the ASH's can be improved, please post it here for high developer visibility: http://stratics.com/community/threads/tweak-requests-suggestions.298553/.