• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ancient Knights

C

CatLord

Looking for knights of the ancient orders... KoY, KoJ,P*V,CVL,GOL...

Thank you.

B

Beleg Megil

Did I hallucinate all the answers Catlord got yesterday? OMG, the thing in my head is growing!

Anyway I was in KoY a long time and hold the stone for that and AKY. All the active ex-KoY members are in my guild Heart of Silverwood with the exception of Zah'Qim (Gildar on the boards here) and Aedon (President and client of the Hair Club For Aegis...I mean...he's in charge of Aegis). Gildar is smartest about KoY lore and history. And I think I speak for all of us ex-KoY in saying that...no, we aren't interested in reforming KoY, if that was what you were hinting at.

Aside from that, what's up?

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, we did indeed answer this post yesterday. Okay Z your turn to chime in, sorry I took cuts.

I am confused though,. I thought KoY made jelly of some sort.

B

Beleg Megil

wellllll...i think there was some sort of lubricant used in the end.... (bonus points for double DOUBLE entendre)

C

CatLord

no, we aren't interested in reforming KoY

1 # (v. i.) To return to a good state; to amend or correct one's own character or habits; as, a man of settled habits of vice will seldom reform.

2 # (n.) Amendment of what is defective, vicious, corrupt, or depraved; reformation; as, reform of elections; reform of government.

3 # (v. t.) To put into a new and improved form or condition; to restore to a former good state, or bring from bad to good; to change from worse to better; to amend; to correct; as, to reform a profligate man; to reform corrupt manners or morals.

I dont understand... what are you exactly trying to say with reform.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that context, he means bring back the old members and in essence recreating it.

C

CatLord

Oh, that isnt what I was posting about.

I am looking to interview all of the old knights...

Thank you for clearing it up.

C

CatLord

I would like to learn their perspective about:
- past community
- value of interaction
- most common mistakes
- what do they value in a Knights guild
- why were they roleplaying a knight

With the current direction taken by the devs...
the anti scripting taking place...
fighting those that were once tough cookies became now an average challenge...
massive numbers of fel pvpers selling accounts or simply vanishing...

I predict the game will shift... into community once again.

Making those that are pure pvpers, outcasts in Yew Felucca...

Add to that the several shards where the majority of the players united to spawn and buy/sell from within their own community... that is another nail in the coffin of the feluccan guilds...

So, unless I am wrong, the game will shift into... events, roleplay, community...

I am doing my homework... adding this knowledge to several months(17) in Sonoma, Baja, Chessie and Pacific... where I learnt about community structure and player/em/devs interaction...

I hope that made sense.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think UO is losing a lot more then the felluca baseed groups Pitr. Look around a bit. We are also losing RPers in droves. Those of us still hanging on rarely log in, or find little to drive us worth logging in for.

I would love to see some events held that were purely RP in nature and not driven by huge mob spawns. These sort of things are far too common place these days. An event does not always have to include swarm after swarm of monsters.

Z and Beleg can speak to this. In their times, the knights of Yew did not go looking for huge spawns of mobs. They fought foes that came in waves, such as the orcs, the Hand, Arcane Steel. Victory was not based on numbers but on your cunning, and the forethought given by leaders to the battle. And at the end one rarely heard a Knight asking, "what are we getting?"

I am still holding Aegis at this time, but in all truth, most nights I find nothing that draws me into game. I am tired of simple tavern sitting, and not interested in mob spawns. If I were not so determined, for who knows what reason to keep Aegis alive, I would have left the game long ago. And really though in a way, I have left.

C

CatLord

I think UO is losing a lot more then the felluca baseed groups Pitr. Look around a bit. We are also losing RPers in droves. Those of us still hanging on rarely log in, or find little to drive us worth logging in for.
Aye, I was invited to move to the "new" shard... but my responsability ties me to Catskills. I have seen more leave than most... guilds, old friends, old foes, the Companions, some EMs, some GMs... it sucks.
However, for each player leaving, there are many more to befriend and show the amazing UO hidden within the RP environment.

I would love to see some events held that were purely RP in nature and not driven by huge mob spawns. These sort of things are far too common place these days. An event does not always have to include swarm after swarm of monsters.
I was in Sonoma, Baja and Chessie... watching exactly that. Hours of interaction without a drop of blood being spilled. People united by a Constitution (called treaty, on the table of the Ambassador Meeting Hall on Chessie)... and a reason to play UO other than pvm.
(weird hum)

Z and Beleg can speak to this. In their times, the knights of Yew did not go looking for huge spawns of mobs. They fought foes that came in waves, such as the orcs, the Hand, Arcane Steel. Victory was not based on numbers but on your cunning, and the forethought given by leaders to the battle. And at the end one rarely heard a Knight asking, "what are we getting?"
Aye, I remember those... I remember going to battle with a bone helmet to deceive the undead... and smash their cracling bones with my vanq war hammer (I still have it)
Battle should always serve a purpose... in UO, it should serve the Story Line... (not the individual or its guild's glory)
At the Siren event on Catskills... I was called to the stage to get an event item... I refused it (Aaron StrongBow character, the post is locked somewhere in the past). I did it for the fun, not for some sash or anything else. It did raise some screaming in ventrillo by people that didnt agree with my perspective... but our paths soon grew apart.

I am still holding Aegis at this time, but in all truth, most nights I find nothing that draws me into game. I am tired of simple tavern sitting, and not interested in mom spawns. If I were not so determined, for who knows what reason to keep Aegis alive, I would have left the game long ago. And really though in a way, I have left.
Only thing I can add to this is... Thank you.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I hallucinate all the answers Catlord got yesterday?
I'm not seeing any removed posts, maybe more damage caused by the hacker cleanup? I know some posts were lost, but not sure how many, or from what time period they were lost.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to learn their perspective about:
- past community
It was awesome, then it sucked, then it was awesome, then it sucked... repeat a few times.
In the best times, Catskills is basically one giant RP guild, one giant PvM guild, Felucca, and a bunch of solo players. There are still lots of different RP and PvM guilds, but almost none of them have members that aren't also members (or at least very good friends) of another guild.
Almost everybody respects each other, and large events are fairly easy to organize.

In the worst times, the RP guilds all hate each other, PvM guilds are fighting over high-end spawns, and lots of very childish behavior all around.
Some groups would keep to themselves, other groups would try to ruin the fun of others in some sick, twisted way of trying to entice people to join them, and the rest would complain very loudly about how UO sucks without trying to make anything better.

Basically, Catskills feeds off of a never-ending circle of Drama.
Things are great, we attract some childish players, people start getting into fights, community gets worse and worse, the shard starts to feel like it is almost empty, the good leaders who remain start coming together again, and Catskills darts right back up to being great again.

- value of interaction
Optional interaction is great. Forced interaction sucks.

- most common mistakes
  • Allowing immature people (especially [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted]) into a guild (especially one that wars with other guilds), and neglecting to take action when they completely ignored every rule that was agreed upon in that war.
  • Warring with guilds without properly vetting the GMs.
  • Roleplaying outside of the game when everybody needed for the roleplaying is available at the same time.
  • Making too many rules.
  • Roleplaying other people's characters without consent.
  • Making up fiction that contradicts existing fiction.
  • Reading a tone (especially sarcasm or anger) from text when none was specified.
  • Failing to take a step back to make sure everybody is still on the same page when an argument starts to get repetitive.
  • Forgetting that real people play the non-real characters in the game, and that real time is spent to get the non-real items.
  • Using other shards or Catskills history as a primary reason why Catskills should do something.
  • Assuming that other people share your beliefs.
  • Ignoring non-roleplayers while roleplaying.

- what do they value in a Knights guild
Friendship amongst all members. Strategy-oriented PvP and PvM. Loyalty to honorable leadership. Well organized membership.

- why were they roleplaying a knight
I started roleplaying as a Knight because I was new to RP, played a swordsman, and had a real hard time roleplaying as somebody who is evil. KoY was also one of the only two non-evil RP guilds that I knew, and my brother was in the other guild.

massive numbers of fel pvpers selling accounts or simply vanishing...
What happens in Felucca barely impacts what happens in Trammel as far as community goes.
It impacts prices, and availability of high-end gear, and how easy it is for somebody to start PvPing... but doesn't really do much about the community aspect of the shard.