• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Alternate Patching Method

• Thread starter Wallenstein
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
W

Wallenstein

I am at school in Boston and simply cannot patch my Ultima Online 2D client. My school's network does not allow it. When I patch from my house I have no problems, but the second I patch from school it freezes for two minutes and then reads:

Error applying patch
Error during session
Your client may not be the most recent version.
You may be able to play the game with your current client.
Check http://www.uo.com/ for help on resolving patching issues.
Click OK to play the game or Cancel to abort.

... and continues to explain how my client is not the most recent version. I believe the required port is closed on my school's network, thus blocking my ability to patch UO.

I had to refresh my ships so my items didn't decay and had to login using the KR client, but I don't use the KR client to play.

I am proposing an alternate way to patch the game. There should be a downloadable file, such as an .exe, on UO.com that can be downloaded like a normal .exe and then opened. The file would patch UO without having to deal with the direct patch servers.

I know a LOT of people I've talked to in the past have had similar problems connecting to the patch server so I'm sure it would benefit many people.

And no, my firewall is not the problem. I know it's my school network, but unfortunately it's the only wired/wireless connection I have access to from my dorm.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome to something that has been asked for years. The problem with UO is that it deletes the files as soon as they're done with them. And 2D thats like .2 seconds, KR you can copy and paste them over usually if you're fast.

The only 'sure' way is to get them right before they're done - Which is ofcourse useless for you, with the blocked port. Me, my problem is that satellite + patcher = Slooooow. So, I also would love an ftp or http download spot.

It isn't going to happen though, sadly.

C

Coppelia

I agree!
And there should be a "check files" button on the patcher, too.

W

Wallenstein

Welcome to something that has been asked for years. The problem with UO is that it deletes the files as soon as they're done with them. And 2D thats like .2 seconds, KR you can copy and paste them over usually if you're fast.

The only 'sure' way is to get them right before they're done - Which is ofcourse useless for you, with the blocked port. Me, my problem is that satellite + patcher = Slooooow. So, I also would love an ftp or http download spot.

It isn't going to happen though, sadly.
Yeah the situation as a whole really sucks since I can't do much with my site (which is supposed to be a regularly/daily updated news site for UO) without access to UO.. I have never played KR and refuse to play it with the ridiculousness of riding a horse and how it looks (I didn't know you could slide across the ground in UO.. are we ice skating?)

I can't connect to other networks here since they are all secure so I'm basically shut out in the dark.. it can't be too hard to just give us a modern way of patching a game.. or at least update the client hosted on UO.com. I downloaded it and try to open it and it's attempting to apply a Samurai Empire update before it gives me a session error.. C'mon, at least make the downloadable client playable.

T

Teeshy

Oh totally agree! As much because, if it was available as a seperate downloadable file, I could get someone else to download it for me when there's a big patch, and mail it to me and then I can install it ;)

PLEASE sometime can we get this option - for both KR and 2D!