• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Allowing clients to set Update Rates both too and from the server

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I spent five years or more hosting Half-Life and Source servers, and there are some things that those engines allow in terms of client performance tuning that I would love to see in UO. The biggest of these are the ability to set limits on the bandwidth that the client uses, and even more important the update rates both too and from the server.

One of the issues in pvp right now is that there are certain players that are able to create lag for other players in the game. Now bandwidth is not the issue here, any broadband connection, even a very inexpensive one, can handle anything that the UO clients and servers can throw at it in terms of bandwidth - assuming of course that the client isn't doing something else that is hogging their internet service's bandwidth (such as uploading or downloading large files, or file sharing). Client patches and publishes are another issue, but actually playing the game of UO takes very little bandwidth relative to your typical broadband service connection, even in game contexts where there is heavy congestion.

What I think may be happening with these players that are causing other players to experience lag is that they are using some form of script or third party application that breaks up the packets they send to the server as much as possible, which may cause problems for those with older computers and lower end processors. One simple fix for this is to allow clients to set rates for bandwidth used, both up and down, and more importantly client and server packet send rates (update rates).

For those who don't want to deal with something so technical it would be simple enough to set reasonable defaults for these settings. And even if the exploitive scenario I have suggested is not occurring the ability to performance tune your client in this manner would provide great benefits, both for servers and clients, as long as the caps on these rates are reasonable. This could potentially solve performance issues such as the extreme lag experienced at large events by many, as well as lowering the threshold for hardware requirements and allowing older computers to run either client much more smoothly than they currently do.

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get pvp lag too, I don't know what it is but it isn't my computer or my connection and it doesn't seem to be related to who I fight, it damn near always happens. I'm not sure how this reply is a supporting post, but I thought I would throw it out there.

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't experienced much lag except in duels/pvp and haven't been to yew to fight since I've been back from a 1+ year break. Would me "overcasting" cause me to lag and rubber band around the screen?

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the info. My timing on a Mage is a bit off since I haven't played in a while. Maybe I should turn que targets off until I get my rhythm back.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I haven't experienced much lag except in duels/pvp and haven't been to yew to fight since I've been back from a 1+ year break. Would me "overcasting" cause me to lag and rubber band around the screen?
Yes it would
In general, no it wouldn't, not unless there were other factors involved. The most it would do is make you stop and start while you were casting. That isn't the same thing as "lagging and rubber banding"...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Llewen, the chances of a serious technical discussion on UHall are between slim and non-existent. I suggest that you submit your idea to Phoenix, either by pm or by email.​
Moved to UO Tech

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just out of curiosity today I ran some tests today and had a couple of duels today against a friend of mine. For one I had Nagling on, and for the other it was off, and he was unable to detect any difference with regard to lag in either duel. Mind you, his laptop has an i5 processor, only dual core, but that's still a decent processor, and with UO there wouldn't be much difference between a dual core and quad core in terms of performance.

That doesn't mean my theory is entirely out to lunch, but my guess is Nagling (the configuring of which is perfectly legal by the way) is not part of the equation. And that also doesn't mean that my basic suggestion isn't a good one, although I clearly have little to no understanding of what the implications would be in terms of the networking code for Ultima Online, both from a client and server perspective.