• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

All Skills: New Skill Gain Logs

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Please place Recent (since Mondain's Legacy) Skill Gain Logs here.

What is a Skill Gain Log?

A Skill Gain Log is a record of the time and materials spent training a skill up to its maximum, and the methods used to do so. In the case of Smith training, one would also need (for purposes of smelting) to also indicate what mining skill the character is also at. You will also want to note if and when you've used powerscrolls, for Smith & Tailor logs, and if you are crafting weapons & armor, gains in Arms Lore that might result.

For Example, a Smith skill gain log might start out -

Start: Bought Blacksmithy, Arms Lore and Mining up to 40 at Hesphaestus in New Haven. Accepted Hesphaestus' skill quest there, and Jacob's mining quest. No Smith Powerscroll used as yet.

a. Trained mining to 90 skill (40 to 50 skill in Jacob's accelerated gain area)before beginning smith training, accumulated roughly 12000 ingots. Bought Salvage bag from Provisioner. Total time: 6 hours

b. Returned to Hesphaestus' shop. Crafted daggers to 48 skill, maces from 48-50 skill, in accelerated skill gain area, recycling the made items (wielding Jacob's pickaxe to have 100 mining, and wearing +3 studded mining gloves picked up off the floor in Luna, for 103 Mining skill).

c. 0 net loss of ingots from daggers from salvage, from use of salvage bag with 103 mining. -1 ingot per salvage from maces. These losses, plus losses from failures, totaled 204 ingots. Total time: 20 minutes. Arms Lore increased to 43.2 skill

session 2:

a. crafted Maces to 55 skill; Time Spent: XXX; ingots lost through use (after recycling & failures) XXX.
b. Switched to Cutlasses at 55 skill; gained to 66 skill: Time Spent: XXX; Ingots lost: XXX.
Arms Lore: increased from 43.2 to 55.3 over length of session.

Session 3: Acquired a 110 PS before this session.
c. Trained on Krysses from 66.1 to 80.5....

The following charts will prove useful to someone designing their own training session for Blacksmith or Tailor. They show the maximum skill one can gain to with most simple items, based on the Powerscroll one has used, and are an expanded version of the charts essential to the old Skill Gain Logs and training recommendations. Note these are the points where skill STOPS gaining; the "sweet spot" for gains, according to the devs as well as all previous FAQs, lie where an item is 60% to 80% chance of success (possibly expanded with powerscrolls much like the maximum skill, to 50% to 90% if one has used a 120 PS - this was a debate topic in the old days as well)

Smith Chart
Tailor Chart

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a small fragment of one, where I'm training one of my second account's crafters to 120.

Section 1 is a "Long Form" log. Typically, these are not needed for posting here, but are a good way to keep track of your results as you craft, to be converted to a shorter form for posting.

Section 2, after it, is the same info, in a "short form" that will be preferred for logs.

Note also that this example is a "finite resources" example. In most cases, people will have a large number of resources, and keep adding more material into the process, when they drop below the amount needed to make the maximum they can hold. In those cases, it's simply noted how much they use per session (and while preferred, it's not mandatory to list the difference between resources lost via failures & via recycling).

It is required, that you specify for Smith & tailor Logs whether you recycled the material back into resources, or disposed of it without recycling (selling, quests, BODs, community collections, throwing away, bandages, etc.). For the other skills, it's generally assumed the latter, since they cannot recycle materials as yet.

Section 1: Long form Skill Gain Log
(typically not the type to post, but good for your own record keeping while training to get converted to short form for posting)

Blacksmith training:
Start: 115.9 (already got the Guaranteed gain an hour before, when I logged in for BOD runs) (obviously, I am scrolled to 120). Skill total at 720, meditation turned down for gains.
Item Made: Royal Circlets
Note: Can make 72, before I fill my pack. Each pass takes approximately 90-120 seconds, not counting distractions, depending on how long it takes me to do the math for figuring out the number of ingots lost to failures). Each pass will be 72 royal circlets, until my ingot total hits 432 or less (the amount needed to make 72)

Started with: 900 ingots (Using GM Mining, +5 Mining Gloves, and Salvage Bag for recycling - no talisman)
  • First Pass: 72 circlets, gained 0.3 skill (to 116.2), lost 14 ingots to failures, 72 ingots to smelt.
  • Second Pass (starting with 814 ingots): Gained no skill - lost 0 ingots to failures (now that's won't happen often, even at 92.4% success), lost 72 ingots to smelt.
  • Third Pass (starting with 742 ingots): Gained no skill, lost 13 ingots to failures, 72 to salvage.
  • Fourth Pass (starting 657 ingots): Gained no skill, lost 8 ingots to failures, 72 to smelting
  • Fifth Pass (starting 577 ingots): Gained 0.2 Skill (to 116.4), lost 11 ingots to failures, 72 to smelting
  • Sixth Pass (starting at 494 ingots) - this will be last full pass, unless I restock ingots, as the reserve after smelting will drop below 432: Gained 0.2 (to 116.6), lost 13 ingots to failures, 72 ingots to smelting
  • Seventh Pass (409 ingots - first pass less than 72): No skill gain. Made 67 royal circlets; 5 ingots lost to failures, 67 to smelting.
  • Eighth Pass (337 ingots): No Skill Gain. Made 55 items; 2 ingots lost to failures, 55 to smelting.
  • Ninth Pass (280 ingots): No Skill Gain. Made 46 items; 4 ingots lost to failures, 46 to smelting.
  • Tenth Pass (230 ingots): 0.1 Skill Gain (to 116.7). Made 38 items. No ingots lost to failures, 38 lost to smelting.
  • Eleventh Pass (192 ingots): 0.1 Skill Gain (to 116.8). Made 32 items. No ingots lost to failures, 32 to smelting.
  • Twelveth Pass (160 ingots): No Skill Gain. Made 26 items. No ingots lost to failures, 26 to smelthing
  • Thirteenth Pass (134 ingots): No Skill gain. Made 22 items. No ingots lost to failures, 22 lost to smelting.
  • Fourteenth Pass: (112 ingots): No Skill gain. Made 18 items. No ingots lost to failures, 18 ingots lost to smelting.
  • Fifteenth Pass (94 ingots): No skill Gain. Made 15 items. No ingots lost to Failures, 15 ingots lost to smelting.
  • Sixteenth Pass (79 ingots): No Skill Gain. Made 13 items. No ingots lost to Failures, 13 lost to smelting.
  • Seventeenth Pass (66 ingots): 0.1 Skill Gain. Made 11 items. No ingots lost to failures, 11 lost to smelting.
  • Stopping at this point, as the remaining ingots (55) are less than one pass of my make-10 macro will need.
Section 2: The Short form of the above

Skill Gain Log: Blacksmith
Start: 115.9 Skill (120 PS)
Item Made: Royal Circlets (give gains to 120+ skill, 6 ingots to make, 5 ingots recovered with 101.1+ mining & Salvage bag)
Total Consumed: 845 ingots (70 from failures during crafting. 775 from Salvage Bag use to recycle).
Items made: 775
Time Spent: Approximately 30-40 minutes
Skill Gained: 1.0, to 116.9

Note: After doing this example, I tossed some more ingots into the bag, and got to 117.0 about 40 circlets later :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks to the new skill scrolls from the champ spawns, I got into a position with one of my BOD runners to do the 110.0 to 116.0 part of the training arc. (already had done the 116 to 120 part, as shown in the examples)

Skill Gain Log: Blacksmith (110-120)

Start: 109.9 Skill (120 PS), 110.0 after the GGS. Training assumes no GGS gained during session. Original 115.9 to 120 arc had 1 GGS at around 117.0 - taking the new arc to 116, and treating the 1 GGS from the earlier, higher skill, sessions as if it didn't happen, and as if training was from 116 to 120, to compensate.

Session 1:

Start: 109.9 Skill (120 PS), 110.0 after the GGS.
Item Made: Royal Circlets (give gains to 120+ skill, 6 ingots to make, 5 ingots returned for each, with 101.1+ mining & Salvage bag)
Total Consumed: 2523 ingots (640 from failures during crafting. 1883 from Salvage Bag use to recycle(1 per item made)).
Items made: 1883
Time Spent: Approximately 2.5 hours
Skill Gained: 2.5 (not counting the GGS from 109.9 to 110.0), from 110.0 to to 112.5

Session 2:

Start: 112.5 Skill (120 PS), No GGS gains.
Item Made: Royal Circlets (6 ingots to make, 5 ingots returned)
Total Consumed: 3437 ingots (560 from failures during crafting. 2877 from Salvage Bag use to recycle(1 per item made)).
Items made: 2877
Time Spent: Approximately 3 hours (not counting fights with Oaks - was training on laptop using KR's "Make max" (BB Enhanced UI mod to have it go through failures without stopping) next to my main computer as I did Ilshenar champs.)
Skill Gained: 3.5, from 112.5 to to 116.0

Session 3 (original session 1):

Start: 116 Skill (120 PS)
Item Made: Royal Circlets (6 ingots to make, 5 returned)
Total Consumed: 885 ingots (70 from failures during crafting. 815 from Salvage Bag use to recycle(1 per item made)).
Items made: 815
Time Spent: Approximately 45 minutes
Skill Gained: 1.1, to 117.1

Session 4 (original session 2):

Start: 117.1 Skill (120 PS)
Item Made: Royal Circlets (give gains to 120+ skill, 6 ingots to make)
Total Consumed: 951 ingots (67 from failures during crafting. 884 from Salvage Bag use to recycle(1 per item made)).
Items made: 884
Time Spent: Approximately 60 minutes
Skill Gained: 0.5, to 117.6

Session 5 (old session 3):

Start: 117.6 Skill (120 PS); 20 minutes after end of session 4.
Total Consumed: 949 ingots (46 from failures during crafting. 903 from Salvage Bag use to recycle(1 per item made)).
Items made: 903
Time Spent: Approximately 45 minutes
Skill Gained: 0.9, to 118.5

Session 6 (old session 4 & 5):

Start: 118.5 Skill (120 PS), 45 minutes after the end of Session 3.
Total Consumed: 1003 ingots (23 from failures during crafting. 980 from Salvage Bag use to recycle(1 per item made)).
Items made: 930
Time Spent: Approximately 90 minutes, with a 15 minute break at the 60 minute mark
Skill Gained: 1.5, to 120.0

Running totals:
Skill gained 10.0 from training (110.0 to 120.0)
Total Ingots consumed: 9748 (1406 from failures, 8342 from crafted items being recycled)
Items made: 8342
Time spent: ~10 hours over 3 days (sessions 1-2 & 4-6 being consecutive, separated by less than an hour between each in sequence)

If items had been made then sold, or made and thrown away, instead of the recommended recycling method, they would have consumed: 51,458 Ingots. (you can't tell me that under 10k is a better choice than 51k+ ingots, especially at current prices)

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if there is a skill gain log for blacksmithy 100 - 120?
or at least a 100 - 110?
Wondering what to make and then how many ingots it will take

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm working on the 100-110 part, but I've gotten distracted with work on the new crafting essays and, of course, doing a lot of Ilshenar champ spawns.

I'd really appreciate it if more people worked on these than just me.

Circlets and royal circlets are probably good for 100-110; circlets will be slower, but lose less ingots from failures.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Re: Blacksmith Skill Log: 110.0 to Legendary (120)

OK, Finally got the 100-105 section done. When I get the 105-110 section done, I will combine them into one guide, in the data subforum.

Conditions:
  • Character had already gotten his Smith GGS gain before 100 skill.
  • Character was working with effective 105 mining skill, and using a Salvage Bag for maximum return.
  • Character also had sufficient tools already made and on hand, so that replacing tools did not affect the ingot totals.
  • Character had only spellbook, runebook, Salvage bag, Ingots (all in bag) and 1 tool at a time in his backpack. This allowed 120 items to be made per pass through the making process, for easier bookkeeping. Single tool was replaced it ran out.
  • Also for easier math, started with 1000 ingots in bag each time, though never more than 855 were actually used in a pass (guaranteeing the 120 per pass total by making sure there were always ingots left over)
  • Item made was Royal Circlets. 6 ingots to make, and the combination of 105 mining and Salvage bag meant that each recycled back into 5 ingots, so only 1 ingot lost per item recycled.
Passes: 18 full passes, and 30% of a 19th, to go from 100.0 to 105.0

Royal Circlets made: 2205 (consuming 13,230 ingots, returning 11,025, for a net consumption of 2205 ingots from recycling)
Ingots lost from crafting failures: 1721
Total Ingots Lost: 3926
(if items were crafted, then discarded or sold instead of reused, would have been 14,951 ingots consumed)

Gains per 120 circlets ranged from 0 (the last full pass before the partial one to get the last gain), to 7 (5th pass, which also had the most failures, and therefore, most attempts/skill checks). Mean was 2.72 gains per full pass (120 successes), or 2.27 gains per 100 successes.

Training took approximately 3 hours, and 30 exceptional crafting tools (chosen at random from a bag - some were really sucky, some had 150 uses).