• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Accelerated skills quests in New Haven

J

Jlapps

Is it just me, or are there a lot fewer of these than there ought to be? All of the basic templates are covered, but what about any other templates new players might want to try?

I just began playing recently, and the Bardic skills and Animal Taming caught my eye. I created characters to explore these skills, and was somewhat disappointed to find that there is no way to accelerate them like there were for my first character's Magery and other skills. I looked around, and found the quests for a number of other skills, but nothing for these. I was unable to find one for tailoring either, though Blacksmithing has one.

I guess just a little miffed that I have to do these the slow way, because Animal Taming is proving to be a little tedious, though seeing other players walking around with Dragons keeps me motivated.

On a side note, some of the professions aren't particularly helpful to new players here on Stratics. I found great info for some, again particularly magery, but not a word on how to properly start or advance a bard of any kind (though you can figure it out from reading other material). No help on the forums, either.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you by chance try the barding forum or posting a thread asking for help?

J

Jlapps

Looked through the bard forums some. I saw threads about how to quickly max several of the individual skills, but no real information for newbies. I'm not seeking anything step-by-step from 30 to GM or higher, just a simple 'start with this, pick up skills and training here, these creatures will get you started' sort of guide. I did not however, make my own post there.

That's not what really bothers me though, I can handle a new character on my own and there are a plethora of advanced materials for later in the game :) My real issue, more of a disappointment than something I'd quit over, is the lack of any kind of rapid skill gain for beginners that don't use a default template. Leveling barding skills and especially animal taming from 33.3% is kinda dry, there are only so many sheep around New Haven to tame.

I discovered, and shopped for Scrolls of Alacrity / Transcendence, but they're well beyond my means, and I'd think beyond most brand new players' :p

Just a little sad that I'll need to do all this the long way I guess lol.

K

Kiminality

There were originally plans to have new player quests for many of the other skills. One of the devs was quite pleased with the concept/design for Tracking (which they never elaborated on).
They never appeared.

It is, unfortunately, a common pattern.

UO has a really steep learning curve for the new player, although "thankfully" a lot of the training is "rinse-repeat"
I trained low level taming in the Skara horse pen - tame horse, kill horse

J

Jlapps

I'm having a lot of fun raising Magery skill. Fighting a few mobs at once, keeping distance while whittling em all down and such, is a blast to me. I wish they had included more accelerated skill quests, and that more of the skills that are now useless (Item I.D. anyone? Last I knew at least, it was useless since now all properties of all items are known the moment you mouse over said item) actually useful. It seems ironic to me that the 'fun' skills, i.e. active ones like bushido, magery, and chivalry have accelerated quests whereas the less engaging, more tedious ones take the longest. I know there likely won't be changes to this, but at least I can continue to gripe, and hope they do add more acceleration for the lowbie bard-tamer wannabe's who don't feel like going through the tedium of raising these skills to the point where they become fun and powerful.

Also, wall of text for the lose >.<

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with the main message of this post. I would like to see more, if not all, skills have the advanced training. Maybe my ambitions are more-so for the blessed rewards, but hey, whatever! They blessed items are very useful for new characters, and I would love to see them for more skills like barding, taming, and more crafting skills.

I also created a new character recently, and forgetting the applicable "New Haven skills", put taming at 49.0 and veterinary at 49.0 thinking I would get the quest(s) before reaching 50. Whoops! (I could have re-created, but didn't bother at that point).