• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A whole thread about how dumb it is to remove the Kotl City event with no replacement content.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stuff we know now:

1) The Kotl City event is not intended to be permanent.

2) The location will "eventually" be repurposed in a future publish. Anyone familiar with devspeak will know that "soon" means eventually, so god only knows what "eventually" means.

3) This repurposing doesn't actually coincide with the removal of the current content. Nope, they're just going to hang a big Out Of Order sign on one of the whopping three or four points of interest that even exist in Eodon, because...

Because why, exactly? I had someone ask me this when I told them the Kotl thing was going away and I genuinely didn't even have a meaningful guess to offer them. Because it'll be farmed to death until it's mostly irrelevant? I mean yeah, it totally will be, but how is deleting it a better choice than letting that happen? Literally anything is better than a big empty hole where there used to be something to do.

I mean I don't even particularly like this event, but the idea that a tiny resource-limited dev team with an entire continent largely barren of content would squander their time coming up with crap just to delete it a few months later is infuriating.

The really sad part is that this latest newsletter was otherwise nothing but an exercise in tapdancing really hard trying to make "vet rewards and holiday crap" sound interesting. They literally put out a newsletter to tell us they were removing more from the game than they were adding.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been taking part in this "event" myself. I went down to have a look and that was it. I do think its strange to remove content like this though. If people are enjoying it then why take it away?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On smaller shards it's hard to get drops, because know one is doing the spawn. There is only one spot to farm when spawns not active. The one area you can farm the drop rate is as bad as Blackthorn dungeon. They should leave it turned on.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Makes ZERO sense to me to have wasted so much Dev time and promoting it to just delete it to "Eventually" recycle the Dungeon. It is not everyone's cup of tea but nothing is. Seems to me leave it alone but changing the rewards every couple of months would be a better option.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the logic is to not make the content they put in go stale, so Activate it for a few months. Change it and change the drops to make the drops more desirable maybe..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldnt have done either one of them at all if they were going to be there forever. there would be no point. Many people dont do new content themselves because they know in a month or so the items will be cheap and its much easier just to buy it.
So, you don't do anything, just buy the drops instead? What fun is that?

The point to me (maybe I'm crazy) is that Ilike playing the game, and its fun to have new things to do. Just buying the drops to stick in a box someplace would defeat the purpose. Might as well just stop putting content into the game, and just move it all direct to the item store.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I, for one, don't mind temporary content so long as it cycles around every so often. Things like the treasures cycles (tokuno, doom, kotl) are fine with me. Different temporary invasions are fine with me. I think it's nice to have short term events to go along with the static content. The only thing I don't really agree with is never bringing back some of the rewards... I think the most popular items from each event cycle need to be brought back at least once every few years. This gives them value to participate in the event, without making them such overpriced "rares" in the long term.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When was the last time ToT was turned on or changed? This shows how often they plan on rotating this stuff.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Because people do it more because they know it wont be there forever.

I did the doom global (the first year, i didnt do the second year because was no point to it by then)
I did the Kotl dungeon

I wouldnt have done either one of them at all if they were going to be there forever. there would be no point. Many people dont do new content themselves because they know in a month or so the items will be cheap and its much easier just to buy it.

Temporary content always gets more people actually doing it, not just buying the stuff from it.
Ahahah, Smoot, I know you're a filthy rich EM item trader who uses gold to buy everything else, and apparently you live in enough of a bubble that you think that's how most people play, but I want you to put on your thinking cap and answer me one question:

If there weren't masses of people farming new content, why would the supply of items expand so rapidly as to make them dirt cheap after a month?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
All content shouldn't be permanent "just because". I'm glad this has been temporary because it has forced people to go there now and actually do it because they know it won't be around forever.

The developer's also now have a 'holo-deck' platform to do similar events. The platform in the middle of the dungeon that spawns the monsters is something they could turn on and off and change semi-regularly... i.e., spawn different monsters / bosses, offer different challenges, create new rewards.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Holo deck is UO or STO? I already play on the Holodeck server:D

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Uhall is mostly doofuses who are bad at UO and have never played any other game, it's true. That doesn't make it any less of a head-scratcher to say that nobody does PVM because it's easier to buy the items after they magically flood the market despite nobody doing the content.

And I'm not denying that this will end up farmed to death before eventually being replaced. It obviously will. I just don't see how farmed-out content is worse than an empty dungeon.

Honestly they could take all this Treasures of _____ crap and stuff it if they would just give us some new proper Doom Gauntlet artifacts to go after. The gauntlet sure didn't get farmed out in a month.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
We've had 2 ToT events, 2 Doom events and 1 Kotl event in 19 years. So averaging about 1 "treasures style" event every 3.8 years.
Not quite. You'd use the time since the first one and then average it.

So it'd be around the year and a half mark, on average.

Not bad in my opinion.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Uhall is mostly doofuses who are bad at UO and have never played any other game, it's true. That doesn't make it any less of a head-scratcher to say that nobody does PVM because it's easier to buy the items after they magically flood the market despite nobody doing the content.

And I'm not denying that this will end up farmed to death before eventually being replaced. It obviously will. I just don't see how farmed-out content is worse than an empty dungeon.

Honestly they could take all this Treasures of _____ crap and stuff it if they would just give us some new proper Doom Gauntlet artifacts to go after. The gauntlet sure didn't get farmed out in a month.
:violin:

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not quite. You'd use the time since the first one and then average it.

So it'd be around the year and a half mark, on average.

Not bad in my opinion.
The game is 19 years old.

It has had 5 turn in style "events".

19/5 = 3.8.

If you want to record how many events since the first event then fine, go from the first ToT event to the present. Say 2005 to 2016.
11 yrs, 5 events, or 1 event every 2.2 years.

However, following that logic the Seattle Seahawks are the most winning championship team in the NFL. They got their first in 2014, now it's 2016, that is one Lombardi every 2 years. Not bad. o_O

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The game is 19 years old.

It has had 5 turn in style "events".

19/5 = 3.8.

If you want to record how many events since the first event then fine, go from the first ToT event to the present. Say 2005 to 2016.
11 yrs, 5 events, or 1 event every 2.2 years.

However, following that logic the Seattle Seahawks are the most winning championship team in the NFL. They got their first in 2014, now it's 2016, that is one Lombardi every 2 years. Not bad. o_O
You're comparing game content to the Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl win?
:coco:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is funny if you use the Seahawks like he tried to do then you need to include the Seahawks joined the NFL in 1976 as an expansion team and won the 2013 Super Bowl so that means the next one will be in what 34 more years, i guess UO is doing better. SB every 37 years or new game content every 3-4 years.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ugh I come here to not hear about the seahawks!

I live in the Seattle area and i'm totally not into sports and i'm tired of all of the rabid fans in blue. Hehe

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, cause we see what a great job they have been doing with that rotation thing on the turn in cleanup reward items...
True enough but the concept is sound. Problem is a micro dev team using their time to create temp. content makes no sense to me. Even less sense since it was stated they were not going to add anymore temp content.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
True enough but the concept is sound. Problem is a micro dev team using their time to create temp. content makes no sense to me. Even less sense since it was stated they were not going to add anymore temp content.
I never bought into this argument, the devs should be the ones to determine their capability and workload.

Not the players because they are using it as a weak justification to extend temporary content.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never bought into this argument, the devs should be the ones to determine their capability and workload.

Not the players because they are using it as a weak justification to extend temporary content.
I agree, except if it's said that there will be "No more Temporary Content" I'd hope people took that the same way I did, and exclude holiday-type events. even then, this event had no tie to any holidays as the Halloween event was scheduled for the later portion of this publish...

Anyway, I'd expect it to be at least labeled temporary on release or something.... Granted it doesn't really bother me about this and it's literally 100% based on the reward items you get from it... the thing I was mostly interested in was the ring... except the new ring has durability so that makes the crystalline ring 10x better imo.
(I'd only ever use the +20 magery version of the new ring anyway)

What does bother me about it though isn't so much that it's temporary... It's that the next system that distributes some of these same rewards are going to be Scripted with Bots instead of farmed by players. (Bods) Who the hell does Bods by hand?

I'd be extremely surprised if there were even 5% of the player-base (that actually does do bods) doing bods without botting them. -I wouldn't, but that's why I don't do bods.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just want to keep the GF interested in this stupid game and having a PVM system that actually DROPS SOMETHING, ANYTHING, GOD ANYTHING more than once every 200 runs is helpful in that regard.
But hey, if something dropped say every 10 runs it wouldn't be worth farming for it because they'd be so cheap you could just by it from other people!

There's a lot of work that needs to be done with this game (mostly seemingly little things... A LOT of little things) I'm just not so sure if it's ever going to get done. - probably not.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree, except if it's said that there will be "No more Temporary Content" I'd hope people took that the same way I did, and exclude holiday-type events. even then, this event had no tie to any holidays as the Halloween event was scheduled for the later portion of this publish...

Anyway, I'd expect it to be at least labeled temporary on release or something.... Granted it doesn't really bother me about this and it's literally 100% based on the reward items you get from it... the thing I was mostly interested in was the ring... except the new ring has durability so that makes the crystalline ring 10x better imo.
(I'd only ever use the +20 magery version of the new ring anyway)

What does bother me about it though isn't so much that it's temporary... It's that the next system that distributes some of these same rewards are going to be Scripted with Bots instead of farmed by players. (Bods) Who the hell does Bods by hand?

I'd be extremely surprised if there were even 5% of the player-base (that actually does do bods) doing bods without botting them. -I wouldn't, but that's why I don't do bods.
I'm not sure why they'd say no more temporary content.

Every event that is a turn in system system has been temporary (TOT, Minax Artie's though it was turned into a blackthorn drop later, Doom events, and now Kotl.)

Given that, I'm not sure why anyone really expected this to be any different excluding it's new in Eodon.

Would the argument have been the same if it weren't in Eodon? Yes.

I'd be surprised if people are regularly doing this when they push out the next publish.

Crafting isn't my thing, but for those that do enjoy it deserve to have a bone thrown at them once in a while, regardless of general overall changes to crafting like imbuing, reforging, and to lesser extent refinements.

It's admirable the guy started the thread to help entertain his girlfriend. But take the girl out on a date once in awhile. I'm guessing She'll be more happy doing that then grinding out some pixel mobs for some recycled boots and shiny new pixel glasses.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was not even talking to you, so don't really care what you do or do not bring into any argument.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's admirable the guy started the thread to help entertain his girlfriend. But take the girl out on a date once in awhile. I'm guessing She'll be more happy doing that then grinding out some pixel mobs for some recycled boots and shiny new pixel glasses.
If I ever think I need relationship advice, I'll find someone better to ask than the kind of person who thinks referring to game content as "pixels" is some sort of meaningful rhetorical point, thanks. I mean what exactly is the argument here anyway? That an empty hole in the ground is better than a dungeon with something to do? It's nonsense.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
SETTLE DOWN TROLLS! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BASHING THE DEVS NOT EACH OTHER!

Seriously tho I do see the appeal of temporary treasures of ... events but at least replace what would be the only purpose to visit a dungeon with something else - even its a simplistic champ spawn or something. And good lord like I said filling BODs are about the least entertaining thing in the world. I'm sure (well.....) the devs could come up with a more creative way than this....

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is nothing wrong with rotating stuff as long as they rotate it. Case in point how long has ToT been gone and if that is their idea of rotating then we are in trouble. If you are going to turn something off then please have the next thing in line ready to be turned and do not wait a year to do it. Your audience is smaller than what it was a year ago and if you do not keep people entertained then they will not show up to the next play. This has to be an on going thing with little time off between acts.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If I ever think I need relationship advice, I'll find someone better to ask than the kind of person who thinks referring to game content as "pixels" is some sort of meaningful rhetorical point, thanks. I mean what exactly is the argument here anyway? That an empty hole in the ground is better than a dungeon with something to do? It's nonsense.
Hey man, do whatever you want she's your girlfriend.

Have a good one.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is nothing wrong with rotating stuff as long as they rotate it. Case in point how long has ToT been gone and if that is their idea of rotating then we are in trouble. If you are going to turn something off then please have the next thing in line ready to be turned and do not wait a year to do it. Your audience is smaller than what it was a year ago and if you do not keep people entertained then they will not show up to the next play. This has to be an on going thing with little time off between acts.
I assume TOT has been off because they substituted it for other similar events.

Either way, if they remove it that's cool, if not that's fine too.

My relationship doesn't depend on it and I'm not going to close my accounts or bash the devs.