• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A suggestion for banning people

T

TKSpeedy1

I have a suggestion for the "ban" feature. Is it possible to make it so you have to notify people of WHY they were banned? I was recently banned by place in BF...I seriously have no idea why because I've been there many times with no problem. When I finally got ahold of the owner of the property, he refused to tell me and was very rude. So I still have no idea what I did.

TYFL

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm a fairly laid back player and most of my friends will tell you that I can be very 'understanding' of some of the most difficult of players.

However there is some types of behavior I will not tolerate and sims will be swiftly booted/banned from my house. I look at my house like this....it's MY home and if other players can't respect me then they don't need to be there.

If I get to the point of actually booting someone from my house, I don't wish to 'discuss' it with them either. They are out now I can go about my business and they should go find someplace else to hang out. lol

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

I'm a fairly laid back player and most of my friends will tell you that I can be very 'understanding' of some of the most difficult of players.

However there is some types of behavior I will not tolerate and sims will be swiftly booted/banned from my house. I look at my house like this....it's MY home and if other players can't respect me then they don't need to be there.

If I get to the point of actually booting someone from my house, I don't wish to 'discuss' it with them either. They are out now I can go about my business and they should go find someplace else to hang out. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I agree with you 100%...I personally have a ban list a mile long But for the record, I never said I was booted from the property (a store) I was talking about...I have been there numerous times and gave them very good business and went one day recently and poof! I had been banned. Had I been booted for doing something wrong, I would KNOW why I was banned. However, I have been here since beta and will go out of my way NOT to be banned from a place. As a matter of fact, up till this point, I have only been banned from one property in another city...and the owner at least told me why I was banned. Not that I agreed with her, but at least she informed me. I don't know how it is now, but the way I learned the game, when it was in Beta, you had to have a good reason for banning someone. That's why I suggested they do something like make a screen come up with the reason you were banned or something like that so that you would at least know. Like I said, I gave this place very good business and am very hurt that they just banned me out of the blue. And if you want to ban someone, fine but don't be rude about it This guy got downright nasty.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

I don't think that is worth the development time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would just prefer that people treat other like crap in the game and be rude and nasty? Gee, I wish they'd bring back the sim cops. Maybe that would solve the problem and TSO would be a nice game to play again.

M

MandiK

He banned you. Meaning he wasnt trying to start anything, just didnt want you in his house for whatever reason. YOU messaged him, right? Asking why he banend you. Just let it go, why does it matter? Im sure it wasnt the only house in the city. Who cares why someone banned you? Not worth spending your time on, honestly.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

He banned you. Meaning he wasnt trying to start anything, just didnt want you in his house for whatever reason. YOU messaged him, right? Asking why he banend you. Just let it go, why does it matter? Im sure it wasnt the only house in the city. Who cares why someone banned you? Not worth spending your time on, honestly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It matters to me because I honestly don't know what I did wrong and if I did anything, it certainly wasn't intentional. I would like to make things right with him if I did something, but I can't do that if I don't know what it was. And as far as I could tell, I didn't do anything wrong....so yeah, it does matter. And BTW, this was a suggestion for a game feature. Unless you are a Dev, I don't know why you are posting with me to argue with me except to just start another argument.

M

MandiK

LoL maybe it's your rude attitude. I am just posting on your post to try to be nice &amp; make you feel better about it, maybe get you to forget about it &amp; not make a big thing out of it. But since you cant even see that without getting your attitude, I cant imagine what it would be like to have you in my sim house.

People are going to have the right to keep anyone they want out of their house without having to tell anyone a reason. That isnt going to change. They shouldnt have to answer to anyone to keep who they want out of their house.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would just prefer that people treat other like crap in the game and be rude and nasty? Gee, I wish they'd bring back the sim cops. Maybe that would solve the problem and TSO would be a nice game to play again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got all of that out of "I don't think that is worth the development time."

Anyway, if I recall correctly, your suggestion was "iI have a suggestion for the "ban" feature. Is it possible to make it so you have to notify people of WHY they were banned?"

What purpose do you think this will serve? What do you think the result will be?

I'll tell you what I think - after all, you did ask.
I think if I am required to say why I ban a person, I will do it like this:
If it's a radio button, I will select the first one every time regardless of what it says.
If it is a required text box, I will type "as;dlfkj" every time.

You were banned. They do not want to tell you why. That is their choice. That is their right.
I think you just need to let it go.

I

imported_sedusa

I have had that happen to me before, and I consider myself a very friendly person, though I am sure there are some who would disagree. And, I do understand your frustration, and confusion. My suggestion would be if you think its a feature that is worth adding then post your suggestion on the wiki. Just be prepared not everyone will agree with your idea, but that is what the wiki is for ideas.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

I have had that happen to me before, and I consider myself a very friendly person, though I am sure there are some who would disagree. And, I do understand your frustration, and confusion. My suggestion would be if you think its a feature that is worth adding then post your suggestion on the wiki. Just be prepared not everyone will agree with your idea, but that is what the wiki is for ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your NICE and POLITE post, sedusa. And if I could figure out the wiki, I would gladly post there rather than here. They sure don't make those things user friendly.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

LoL maybe it's your rude attitude. I am just posting on your post to try to be nice &amp; make you feel better about it, maybe get you to forget about it &amp; not make a big thing out of it. But since you cant even see that without getting your attitude, I cant imagine what it would be like to have you in my sim house.

People are going to have the right to keep anyone they want out of their house without having to tell anyone a reason. That isnt going to change. They shouldnt have to answer to anyone to keep who they want out of their house.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sorry, but when I feel like I'm getting attacked, I get defensive. If you want to take that as being rude, so be it. I don't care anymore. And I'm sure if I were at your sim house, you would like me...I'm very polite and nice to people in the game as long as they are nice and polite to me. And BTW, what exactly is rude about saying "Excuse me, could you please tell me why you banned me?" Does that sound rude? NO! So please don't make assumptions about how I am in the game. And don't worry. Since I refuse to go to TC3, you won't be running into me. That should make you happy.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You got all of that out of "I don't think that is worth the development time."

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep

<blockquote><hr>

Anyway, if I recall correctly, your suggestion was "iI have a suggestion for the "ban" feature. Is it possible to make it so you have to notify people of WHY they were banned?"

What purpose do you think this will serve? What do you think the result will be?

You were banned. They do not want to tell you why. That is their choice. That is their right.
I think you just need to let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything, I think it might make someone think twice before they ban someone just because they sneezed wrong. And you know what? I'd love to let it go...but people keep posting responses to me. This was a game suggestion. That's it...it required no response, but yet everyone felt the need to attack me yet again.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

TK, I think you did everything you could by contacting the person who banned you. If they didn't have the courtesy to provide you with a response, why waste your time? The fact that the person was rude to you is an answer.

A good friend of mine says that trying to figure out crazy behavior -- like WHY that person banned you and was rude -- is "crazy making behavior" -- it will only drive you crazy.

Along the same lines of your idea, though, I often wish there was a place to add a note to the bookmarks and ban list. After time passes, and especially if a name changes, I wonder why the person is on my list!
I kinda recall someone saying we WOULD have such a feature in the days to come.

Don't let it get you down. There are many places to visit that are very friendly and where I'm sure you will be welcomed warmly!

M

Meggers

It matters to me because I honestly don't know what I did wrong and if I did anything, it certainly wasn't intentional. I would like to make things right with him if I did something, but I can't do that if I don't know what it was. And as far as I could tell, I didn't do anything wrong....so yeah, it does matter. And BTW, this was a suggestion for a game feature. Unless you are a Dev, I don't know why you are posting with me to argue with me except to just start another argument.
----------------------------------

That's enough clues for me... mystery solved

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So sorry, but when I feel like I'm getting attacked, I get defensive. If you want to take that as being rude, so be it. I don't care anymore. And I'm sure if I were at your sim house, you would like me...I'm very polite and nice to people in the game as long as they are nice and polite to me. And BTW, what exactly is rude about saying "Excuse me, could you please tell me why you banned me?" Does that sound rude? NO! So please don't make assumptions about how I am in the game. And don't worry. Since I refuse to go to TC3, you won't be running into me. That should make you happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude or Dudettte you NEED to chill out! 1st of all Mandi was/has been nice and not rude to you... It was your posting of "Unless you are a Dev, I don't know why you are posting with me to argue with me except to just start another argument. " which was basically a slap in her face or something to be considered "RUDE".

The way i see you being all defensive and augmentative and well kind of rude to those responding rude to some swims i can almost understand why you most likely were banned from that house.

This is just my observation of the thread. I'm sure you'll think i too was rude to you and expect some sort of reply along those lines.

As to the topic i agree it would be a waste of good Dev time for something that barely a handfull of sims, if that, would ever even use and as Milton said... Most likely the form you do get to see would be filled with gibberish that gave you zero information anyway. If they don't take the time to tell you why you were banned and honestly i don't either (if i ban u i certainly dont want to discuss it with you), do you really think they'll take the time to fill out a form to notify you of why? Uh yeah ok.....

G

This is a Discussion thread. If you wanted to make a game suggestion <u>without</u> discussion, you should have notified the Devs in a pm.
But you didn't.
As far as I'm concerned, the reasons you were banned stand out like a beacon in the night.

N

NightFlyer

I wouldn't worry too much about this banning. I was once banned from a store lot for not returning a greeting from the owner (I landed and got a phone call).*shrugs*

Some people just have issues.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

This is a Discussion thread. If you wanted to make a game suggestion <u>without</u> discussion, you should have notified the Devs in a pm.
But you didn't.
As far as I'm concerned, the reasons you were banned stand out like a beacon in the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you or someone else said the exact same thing about PM'ing a Dev when she made a suggestion. I will echo what she said....This is a legitimate place to post a suggestion to them. And since you aren't a moderator, I respectfully ask that you not speak for them. If a post like my original one wasn't allowed here, I'm sure they would've moved it or told me so themselves. And please also don't presume to know why I was banned....The incident in the game and my replies here are two different things. But if you must know, this is what happened to me.....

Step 1. I went to the store
Step 2. I bought ripe fruit they were selling.
Step 3. I ate said fruit
Step 4. I left the store

It was that simple. No words were exchanged EVER, so you can't say I was rude. Next thing I know, two weeks later, after not being able to play for two weeks (personal stuff going on), I tried to go to the store and found myself banned. It was that simple.

T

TKSpeedy1

"The way i see you being all defensive and augmentative and well kind of rude to those responding rude to some swims i can almost understand why you most likely were banned from that house"

Like I said, Fester....I came, I bought and ate, and left without any words being exchanged. How is that being rude?

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

I wouldn't worry too much about this banning. I was once banned from a store lot for not returning a greeting from the owner (I landed and got a phone call).*shrugs*

Some people just have issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey at least you know why you were banned. That's my point. I don't know why I was banned. That store that banned you wasn't by any chance in CC was it? I was banned from a store there for not greeting the owner (I'm used to AFK owners/roomies at stores) Which reminds me...this is the 3rd property I've been banned from since beta...not 2nd. Sorry, I was wrong. And all 3 were stores. The third banned me for buying "Mature fruit" when I needed greening even though it was for sale (also in CC.)

I

imported_Shirl1211

Why do you really care if your banned! It isn't like you can't go to another property. I wouldn't waste my time trying to come up with a feature like a box telling me why i'm banned. Personally I could care less.

J

JRock

I'm sorry but I sure don't understand why a lot of the people cannot empathize here. What if it was you?

Enough said!

J

JRock

BTW, do you use the same name in game that you use here? Someone might have not been happy with what you posted and just banned you because of that. Just a thought. Because there are sure a lot of popular people on these boards that get treated like gods when they enter lots. The rest of the people are treated bad unless they start kissing behind.

Just my opinion.

V

vapd3317

Well actually,...Shirl did infer how she would feel...she stated that personally she could care less. Which is exactly how I feel. If I ban someone (and btw...I DO have a store in CC,...and have banned many), Then I have a very good reason which matters only to me and once banned, you also become ignored.

so let me help anyone who needs it to feel better....... here's a big ole bandaid for those hurt feelings. Let me know if I should send along a binky also.

J

JRock

How about you let us know your store name so we don't even go there. lol

I

imported_Shirl1211

I have no problem with anyone here knowing my sim name. It is Maiden America and I too have an opinion. After playing this game for 4 years now, I have found out that if a player gets banned it generally is for a good reason. Now with this being said, I think i'll go find one of those drama making sims to ban.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Well Vap. I guess you hit the nail on the head. I'm in this game for the fun of it!!! I have and will ban disrespectful whiners because in my properties I won't tolerate it. My guest are important to me and they are going to be treated well by all the other guest and if I have to ban a player in order to achieve this, so be it!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

But you didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you or someone else said the exact same thing about PM'ing a Dev when she made a suggestion. I will echo what she said....This is a legitimate place to post a suggestion to them. And since you aren't a moderator, I respectfully ask that you not speak for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

City Hall is a discussion forum. When starting any thread here, it should be posted with the expectation that the community will discuss it. Once a thread is posted, it becomes the community's thread.

This thread is about a general suggestion for enhancing the "ban from property" feature. It is not about the specifics of why one individual was banned from one particular property.

Please stay on topic.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I'm sorry but I sure don't understand why a lot of the people cannot empathize here. What if it was you?
Enough said!

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't really know the whole story. We are hearing 1 side of it. Though I understand that the person is grieved about being banned, there very well could be more to it. The player might have actually just had their house closed to restock or do something and didn't want to have guests to take care of.

However, there are some people that don't realize there are real people behind these sims and that they may be acting out in front of a player that has multiples. For instance, I was visiting another property one night and a girl with her alternate came in. First off, they had nasty names that slipped past the language filter and the proceeded to use really crude language and explicit sex talk in open room chat. I asked 3 times that she stop.

Since I didn't own the house and the owner was otherwise distracted, I finally iggied her. Not only did I iggy her, but I banned her from my property too. Her behavior was so bad that I iggied/banned her on all of my sims and all my properties.

Now she could come here and start a thread about how these 'sims' have her banned from their properties for no reason. I don't care if she knows what the reason is or not. She was nasty, she was crude, she didn't care, and why do I owe her an explanation. I always say be careful in the game because you never know if you are addressing a player with alternates or close friends.

My son has many middle aged women iggied and banned on his sim because they obviously don't know how NOT to hit on teenage boys. I like to call them Hoochie Momma's.

I don't believe that a 'why you were banned' feature is really necessary and would be an expenditure of valuable reasons that could be used elsewhere.

M

Meggers

Step 1. I went to the store
Step 2. I bought ripe fruit they were selling.
Step 3. I ate said fruit
Step 4. I left the store

It was that simple. No words were exchanged EVER, so you can't say I was rude. Next thing I know, two weeks later, after not being able to play for two weeks (personal stuff going on), I tried to go to the store and found myself banned. It was that simple.
-------------------------

Because fruit is in such high demand some stores will limit the amount you can buy so that others have a shot at it also.

G

No words were exchanged EVER

Having never bought fruit, how does one buy fruit without saying anything? Just clicking trade with an owner/roomie and entering the amount in the box? Since store owners are afk and hiding, how do you get their attention in the first place? Just curious...

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Having never bought fruit, how does one buy fruit without saying anything? Just clicking trade with an owner/roomie and entering the amount in the box? Since store owners are afk and hiding, how do you get their attention in the first place? Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they will set an object to block the tree and you purchase the object there by gaining access to the tree.

But I do understand what Meggers is saying though and I have seen people with in their house bios to 'please only eat ripes'. Fruit really is tough to come by and many don't really wish to waste the skill point increase. So yeah, I could see someone getting mad and banning someone for it.

G

People can ban you for whatever reason... and if they did add this I'd intentionally leave it blank... b/c that would amuse me.

Seriously let the ban thing go... you wouldn't want to be anywhere they didn't want you anywhere would you?

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy..you just block it off with an object, set a price for that object (a bear, box, hay, etc.) The person buys that object and then eats the fruit after the object disappears from in front of the tree.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Why do you really care if your banned! It isn't like you can't go to another property. I wouldn't waste my time trying to come up with a feature like a box telling me why i'm banned. Personally I could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I care because I have always prided myself on the fact that I treat people nice and follow the rules of the property. And as far as I know, I didn't do anything wrong...so it bothers me just because I don't know what I did to deserve being banned. I mean think about it...if a friend of yours suddenly didn't want you at their home IRL, wouldn't you want to know why? I know I would.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Enough said!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you JRock! I appreciate it.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

BTW, do you use the same name in game that you use here? Someone might have not been happy with what you posted and just banned you because of that. Just a thought. Because there are sure a lot of popular people on these boards that get treated like gods when they enter lots. The rest of the people are treated bad unless they start kissing behind.

Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was thinking, too, that it might be someone from here who didn't like me, but I don't think I ever posted my sim name that was banned here. It's not the same as my user name. And yeah, I noticed how some people do get treated like gods when they go to properties while others get treated like crap.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Well Vap. I guess you hit the nail on the head. I'm in this game for the fun of it!!! I have and will ban disrespectful whiners because in my properties I won't tolerate it. My guest are important to me and they are going to be treated well by all the other guest and if I have to ban a player in order to achieve this, so be it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'm all for banning disrespectful rude people...like I said before, I have a ban list a mile long. But what is disrespectful about buying something (like fruit), which means they are getting a lot of my hard earned simoleans, and leaving when I am done? I don't get it.

M

Meggers

It's possible that they just closed the store. I have a store in AV and it's not open to the public until after the merge. But seriously, let it go. You were banned from a make believe store in a virtual world by someone you have never laid eyes and will never meet.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

It's possible that they just closed the store. I have a store in AV and it's not open to the public until after the merge. But seriously, let it go. You were banned from a make believe store in a virtual world by someone you have never laid eyes and will never meet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they were closed...usually if I can't get into a store and IM the owner/roomie and ask why they will tell me they are closed at the moment. This person specifically used the word "banned". But it was a thought.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This thread is about a general suggestion for enhancing the "ban from property" feature. It is not about the specifics of why one individual was banned from one particular property.

Please stay on topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

P

Paula777

Great idea! For both sides!

I used to ban many sims, especially giving out payouts and I could never remember why I banned a certain one.
*" ummm can't remember.. you must have done something..."*