• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Scripter Tale

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran across someone running a mining script in Trammel last night and did all the normal checks people do to see if there was a real live person behind the keyboard. I watched this character recall in and out of the location and tried talking to it and then blocking the recall spot by standing on it only to have it start up again as soon as I moved out of the way. After I was positive that it was a script program running I paged a GM (Yes I know most of you think what is the use of doing that? GMs never do anything anyway so why bother?)

I really wanted to see if EA was serious about removing cheaters from the game or not. Well I was 14th in line for over 20 minutes, but I was determined to see if they would do anything at all or just send me a canned response. Shortly after becoming 13th in line I saw the little message box from a GM pop up in my left hand top corner of my screen. It was a prewritten message thanking me for contacting them and had tips on how to report scripter’s in the future, but do you know what? The program that I had watched run for over an hour was stopped dead then. The miner who was dressed in all lrc clothing was gone. That’s right it looks like a GM has actually done their job and removed a cheater.

Of course EA’s policy is not to ever tell the person who paged on scripter’s and cheaters what actions they have taken so I have no idea what they did to him, But I really hope that his account gets banned for good and not a 3 day slap on the wrist like they normally give.

Needless to say I will be watching to see if this scripter returns or will a new one starts up doing the same thing dressed the same way. If I catch him again, I will report him again. Who knows maybe this is a new day in the game where cheaters will not be tolerated? Remember just like in voting, one person can make a difference so next time you see a scripter report it. It could help make UO a better game for honest players to play in.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

There are units of players doing it... but it seems they do not post like you do.

Lately the GMs have been more active and many players saw their characters vanish... some were collecting leather near Delutia, others hiding in their houses doing Bods, some near Skara bank working inscription, a few were doing Discord and we also saw some vanish from Shame and Hythloth while collecting lesser artefacts...

Reports of their "shadow" activity suggest that the number of players vanishing was close to 60...

The one thing that has not been addressed is IDOC scripting and being able to lock everything instantly(or very fast) under the house sign... this is being done for a team of two scripters that are currently the target of the "Shadow" unit... no guilt on the GMs... they cant show up instantly.

Playing a stealther can be alot of fun!

*waves his pompons*
GO DEVS!

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The one thing that has not been addressed is IDOC scripting

[/ QUOTE ]This should be helped by the next publish (in theory... since none of us players actually know what they are doing to prevent this, all we can do is hope that it will be effective).

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good for you. I do the same thing whenever I catch someone scripting. Although, I don't always stay around to see if said scripter actually vanishes or not. I usually page, and then go back about my business.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

Here is a tricky question...

You find a scripter... he is removed from the area... all or most of the resources he was gathering are now on the floor...

What do you do?

I

imported_ParadoxUO

<blockquote><hr>

This should be helped by the next publish (in theory... since none of us players actually know what they are doing to prevent this, all we can do is hope that it will be effective).

[/ QUOTE ]

So far the Devs have been "fiery" efficient... HAR HAR, Matey!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Here is a tricky question...

You find a scripter... he is removed from the area... all or most of the resources he was gathering are now on the floor...

What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]The scripters resources were on the floor? Was his script broken or something?

S

shotgun23s

that is all nice and good vallend but i recently had a similar experience with 3 afk macroers in their house so myself and another person paged on them and after waiting for almost an hour one by one the afk macroers disappeared. now you may think that the gm's removed the players and they was banned like they should have been but guess what..........2 hours later i see all 3 of the macroers sitting in luna by the gate as if nothing ever happened!!!!!!! so it seems the gm's like to play favorites for certain guilds (they will remain nameless unless you pm me and i will tell you) and players. i did page again on the same people but i dont know if they got banned or not since ea has a privacy policy. needless to say i am still not impressed with ea's attempts to clear out the cheaters in the game.