• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

a sad day in factions

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today I have finally really wondered why I bother with factions or UO for that matter. Faction play has been my focus for over a year and I have tried to encourage people to join, help people along and play the game with complete integrity. I have suffered the same bouts of whining about cheats that many have, ranted and wondered why they can't be controlled.

What happened last night and today are beyond cheating. It is basic human respect and specifically lack of respect for women. Last night I was running and dying and giving my killers the usual.... "it took four of you with cross fields to kill a lil granny thief" ... and recording the most recent cheating episode. Yes, I run camstudio often in hopes someday something can be done. I eventually got "into it" with a player, one on one "discussion" that quickly digressed to the other playing telling granny many many things including something about eating a portion of his anatomy. So be it, I paged on him.

I also icqd someone who is a friend and was co-incharge of the defense that night to explain my intentions to page and express my sorrow that there were such players in their guild. We are friends ... we talk about things ... Long story short, she made a decision which is hers to express and explain.

This morning, while faction playing I again ran into the same player with 3 other members of the guild/faction in brit. I died and went to the healer where one young man said, Tinkz rez, so I can talk to you... well, I am not stupid I knew I was gonna die ..... 8 deaths later and horrific verbal abuse later they finally tired of the verbal and sexual harassment and left. I have a screen shot for anyone that would like to see it ... please ICQ me and I will send you a link.

Beyond that a very young player who trusted in the guild and faction friends he knew, was attacked and killed on a blue by one of those very friends... my only guess is because of the actions his mother chose. Retribution against an 8 year old. That is sad beyond words and I worry for the attacker as a human being but more I worry for those that stand aside and allow that sort of abuse of any other human being.

If you want to see the picture... icq me 76943888. And you will notice, I have mentioned no names, no guilds, no factions... not even the shard. The picture has no names but my own. This is an expression of my concern and sadness over how people allow others to behave just to win at a game.

L

Locker

How can you PvP and be such a whiner at the same time?

Why do you think it's reasonable that everyone playing this game should stop and consider your social background, your age group, your sex and all the things that MIGHT offend you just so you'll consider them a fine human being?

Don't you know how combat works? He (or she) who gets mad first, loses. If you allow your opponent to throw you off with some flaming then it's you that has the problem, not the opponent.

If you don't like what someone is saying, add them to your ignore list. Don't expect the world to change just to please you.

Pepe the Strange

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry to hear this, tinkz. I'm not sure what is more bothersome - that this happened, or that someone replied here actually trying to justify it as a tactic for "winning".

Anyone who stoops so low is losing a hell of a lot more than they have "won".

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why do you think it's reasonable that everyone playing this game should stop and consider your social background, your age group, your sex and all the things that MIGHT offend you just so you'll consider them a fine human being?

Don't you know how combat works? He (or she) who gets mad first, loses. If you allow your opponent to throw you off with some flaming then it's you that has the problem, not the opponent.

If you don't like what someone is saying, add them to your ignore list. Don't expect the world to change just to please you.
Maybe it is just me, but seeing this response and your "mood" icon which shows "mellow" at the same time, strikes me as quite funny.

There is some merit to saying one shouldn't be overly sensitive, particularly in any situation that pits one person against another, but the OP I think is just overall disgusted by the toxic waste that spews out of some people just effortlessly, and on a regular basis. While it is a shame it is ever necessary, at least in video games we DO have the option of ignore.

-Skylark

D

Decker

i for one dont take anything said to me or about me to heart in this game cause well it is just that and weather or not someone wins or looses there should be no reason to go to extremes. It does ruin the fun for everyone, save for the person whom hides behind his computer screen acting the fool, i do sure hope that hey dont act that way in real life cause that means you would be one lonely individual living in your moms basement hating the world for your imperfections. Although talking that tough must mean your a chuck norris type ninja cause i was raised to show respect especially to a lady! Disrespect like that in real life gets you pwned for real not for play play.

so the lesson here peeps is to do on to others as you would have done to you unless you want to get your "insert explitive here" whooped on a daily basis and you have the insurance to pay for those er visits.

Be nice or go away

love decker

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

There is no excuse what so ever for anyone to sexually harrass someone in real life or on a game, it goes over the boundries of trash talking. Plus it is a bannable offence that could get ones account banned or perma banned depending on the situation so remember that So if anyone decides to go around sexually harassing someone in the game dont.
Tinkz Sorry that you had to go threw that

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no excuse what so ever for anyone to sexually harrass someone in real life or on a game, it goes over the boundries of trash talking. Plus it is a bannable offence that could get ones account banned or perma banned depending on the situation so remember that So if anyone decides to go around sexually harassing someone in the game dont.
Tinkz Sorry that you had to go threw that
*nods*

As bad as it is when something like this happens in-game, I've always found it even worse when people defend it. And it's even worse when I have to say that I'm not surprised.

-Galen's player

U

UltimaSword

I do not think she was being over-sensitive. Some people have such a sad lack of respect and it usually originates from their real life. Even in just a video game since no one can do much about it they take advantage of that. The best course of action is to report them and mute them (can you do that?) so you do not have to be bothered. As for the 8 year old well this game is rated T for teen. And while some things said may have been mature one should expect the worst in an online game. I am sure he will be fine.

S

Saleena

I Don't have any problems with a little trash talk here and there because that is always going to be there. But when it gets taken to another level like it did with tinkz that kind of talk is just uncalled for. I'm sorry you had to deal with it also tinkz. I hope it dosen't change your whole view on factions. There are to many people from all the factions that think highly of you so I wouldn't dwell on one persons ignorance.The way I see it YAY! for you you can pvp on an online game but seriously where does that get you in life?

Hope you have some better days
Saleena:hug:

S

Sleath

That behavior is unexceptable and I am sorry you had to endure such immaturity (even if it is ingame)... My only question though is what was done about it. Have you heard.

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe it is just me, but seeing this response and your "mood" icon which shows "mellow" at the same time, strikes me as quite funny.

There is some merit to saying one shouldn't be overly sensitive, particularly in any situation that pits one person against another, but the OP I think is just overall disgusted by the toxic waste that spews out of some people just effortlessly, and on a regular basis. While it is a shame it is ever necessary, at least in video games we DO have the option of ignore.

-Skylark
Sky hit the nail on the head.

PvP has always had a fair amount of smack-talking, and if you can't handle it, then you shouldn't be PvPing.

That being said, it's sad how much some people equate their real-life worth on their PvP prowess. Said individuals seem not to realize that 'winning UO' won't net them a job or any real world respect.

Long gone are the days of 'good fight' or any sort of mutual respect. Long live the @#*^%! pWNED JOO! [and then some] after fight retorts.

I always find it best to just say nothing and go about my business [or lick my wounds]. Seems to tick them off even more than a response...

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is simply amazing to me, had that been an URL to a website someone said in game or a racial slur, they would of been gone in a heartbeat.

But since it was a woman with slurs toward her as a female, there was nothing done. Come on people, there is trash talk yes, but this type of talk he was addressing to her, is out of line.

I

Irish Rage

Please keep this thread clean and not resort to personal insults or trolling. As we are all aware this is against the stratics rules of conduct.

Thanks,

Z

Zara

Hello All,

I've kept quiet on this matter for some time now but I have been doing some thinking. I actually quit factions and took a short break because of all of this drama and craziness.

This is a game, it's supposed to be fun and when it's not fun it's no longer a game. There is always going to be a certain amount of trash talk in these situations but this kind of talk is beyond inappropriate. There should never be things said to this extent in a game.

People have, in general, lost a common respect to others and I believe it's because we all hide behind these little pixels and there is really no accountability for these kinds of actions.

I'm a Minax player but I can tell you that I hold an enormous amount of respect for many of the TB players. I have no problems talking with these players, being friends with these players and then on the battle field, attempting to kill the characters of these players. (I say attempt because anyone who knows me, knows I am a lousy pvper!)

None of this should be about winning or losing, it should be about having fun no matter the outcome! Is it a good feeling to win? Hell yes! I'm not saying winning isn't a bonus but winning is not what it's all about, in my opinion anyway.

One of the things I have noticed over the years with factions is that when things get unbalanced and one faction holds those sigils for long periods of time, players in the other factions get discouraged and eventually move on to other things. I have always made this statement within my own faction because if there is only one active faction, who do you play with?

You don't have to like everyone you play around but you should at least have the decency to handle things appropriately. In the situation we are discussing here, there were many things that were not handled appropriately, and even on my end. I've never blown up and gotten angry before at anyone in this game but the night this happened I did and I handled the situation wrong. So, to the person who was on the other end of my anger I do apologize for how I behaved but I stand firm on the fact that what you said and did was wrong and should never have happened.

~Zara

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had a good time on GL last night in Brit factioning is a good time IMO

T

Trammelite2000

Trash talk is a part of UO :( would like to see the pic though to see what was said :D

S

SRB

I've seen it ... Let's just say, if they said it to your Mom or Sister or other female relative you wouldn't be quite so understated as to call it "trash talk" ...