• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A returning player with two questions on steeling.

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am a returning player with no knowledge in the Steeling skill.
That said;

Q1 (training) Are there ways to train stealing without "grinding the hours away with a friends pack horse" or steeling from passers by in fell.

I prefer to RP. Train as I live out the adventure through My character. Rather than grind.

Q2 (using) Keeping in mind my motivation is adventure, not profit. Are there way's to use the stealing skill without stealing from players. I won't be stealing from other players, I just aint into all that.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A1) You can also use your own pack animal, to steal from, as long as it is guarding you. Another training option (albeit much slower) is to steal from container in towns. For that you may also need Lockpicking. You run the risk of having a difficult time finding items which are at your optimal success/skill gain weight (a rough estimate is Item Weight = Stealing Skill /10). It is a tough skill to train through use, but not impossible.

A2) There are plenty of spawning items through out the land, which offer another avenue to exercise your craft. There is alot of information in the UO Crime Forum on these activities.

Stayin Alive,

BG

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
A1) You can also use your own pack animal, to steal from, as long as it is guarding you. Another training option (albeit much slower) is to steal from container in towns. For that you may also need Lockpicking. You run the risk of having a difficult time finding items which are at your optimal success/skill gain weight (a rough estimate is Item Weight = Stealing Skill /10). It is a tough skill to train through use, but not impossible.

A2) There are plenty of spawning items through out the land, which offer another avenue to exercise your craft. There is alot of information in the UO Crime Forum on these activities.

Stayin Alive,

BG
I will rethink the packhorse option.
At first the brit. Docks seemed to be a good option to train as you go. As you mentioned, slow but doable. However the guards don't take kindly to steal'en fish from hard working fishermen. So they guard whacked me on several occasions.
So it's off to the stable to buy a pack horse.

I'm at 50 stealing so 5 stone fish gives me a .1 gain for every successful theft.

However.....

However, after a few unsuccessful attempts. I get guard whacked.

Thanks for your response that was the information I was looking for.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will rethink the packhorse option.
At first the brit. Docks seemed to be a good option to train as you go.
The docks in Jhelom are less crowded with NPCs. Also look into getting some Scrolls of Alacrity for Stealing (http://www.uoguide.com/Scroll_of_Alacrity). They will ease the pain of training.

Once your skill is high enough, you can use +skill items (jewelry, burglars bandana, etc) to get to 100. At 100 you will be able to steal spawning items as well, so you can take a break form training and still use your craft.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
:) Don't forget to check the stealing/lock picking chest at the player center. It has a rune book for my favorite places. The guide book should also help. We now have the ability to pick the pockets of mobs in dungeons . I'll look up more info about this.
I'll be in game tomorrow so hope to see you.

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
QUOTE="Tamais, post: 2365974, member: 753"]:) Don't forget to check the stealing/lock picking chest at the player center. It has a rune book for my favorite places. The guide book should also help. We now have the ability to pick the pockets of mobs in dungeons . I'll look up more info about this.
I'll be in game tomorrow so hope to see you.[/QUOTE]
Very good ty. I will look for you in game