• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A really really good idea ..

• Thread starter Lord Zephyrus
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
L

Lord Zephyrus

Ok a archer has to have ammo to shoot stuff . Well with the quiver of infinity they get a blessed container to carry their ammo and thats great. Well i was reading in one of the other threads about LRC and stuff. And i got to thinking Why cant us mages have a blessed bag to put our reagents in. I by no means can afford a full 70 lrc lmc mr suit for my mage the best i can do is sorta kinda half way make a suit. If i had a blessed reagent bag to carry around regs i could finally get my mage to all 70's and give pvp a try. Just a thought but i think a darn good one.

S

Sweeney

Ok a archer has to have ammo to shoot stuff . Well with the quiver of infinity they get a blessed container to carry their ammo and thats great. Well i was reading in one of the other threads about LRC and stuff. And i got to thinking Why cant us mages have a blessed bag to put our reagents in. I by no means can afford a full 70 lrc lmc mr suit for my mage the best i can do is sorta kinda half way make a suit. If i had a blessed reagent bag to carry around regs i could finally get my mage to all 70's and give pvp a try. Just a thought but i think a darn good one.
LRC was a bad idea and this is even worse. With your idea someone could have an all 70s non-lrc suit with extra MR/LMC/FC/FCR/INT/+magery/+eval/etc and still keep their regs when they die, making LRC suits the unwanted items and your magic bag the thing to have.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i can see it now, thread full off :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:with a :yell: in the end

S

Splup

This idea is fine by me. PvP should not be about items, so anything that makes it easier to build viable PvP suits is ok for me.

I have 70s LRC LMC MR DCI suits, I prolly wouldnt use the regbag cause I would be frustrated getting outta regs at some point, but could be very useful for some.

L

Lord Zephyrus

Well i think it's a good idea nomatter what anyone else thinks. I have over 100k of each reg just sitting in my house but i dont use them cause i dont want to have to recall home every time i die to get new regs , wonder what would happen to all the archers if their quivers wernt insurable or the ammo popped out of their quivers when they died.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kill the last thing thiefs really have to annoy people?

A really really bad idea IMHO.

L

Lord Zephyrus

Ok nevermind just ingnore everything i said or suggested. It seems i cant post a D### thing or idea that is good without getting my AZ$ chewed out for posting a idea. It's not like it's ever going to come to fruition anyway. Sorry for trying to think of something that could be nice. Guess since i'm not a eleven year vet i dont have the rights to suggest ideas without getting hit with a huge flamestrike.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
psst ... there already exists a blessed reagents bag.
It just happens to be disguised as a marble cat.

C

Connor_Graham

Ok nevermind just ingnore everything i said or suggested. It seems i cant post a D### thing or idea that is good without getting my AZ$ chewed out for posting a idea. It's not like it's ever going to come to fruition anyway. Sorry for trying to think of something that could be nice. Guess since i'm not a eleven year vet i dont have the rights to suggest ideas without getting hit with a huge flamestrike.
Eh, don't take it so hard. Some people here have such terrible lives that their only way to cope is to take out their frustrations on some anonymous person on the internet. A blessed reagent bag has been suggested many, many times since the introduction of quivers. Frankly, I think this is the first time I've seen someone flamed for it, if that tells you anything.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LRC was originally intended for training purposes only, was it not? And what exactly do thieves have to steal if someone is using an LRC suit anyway? I don't see why its such a bad suggestion.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a spell component pouch is a pretty good idea actually. I'd previously suggested it as a kind of gold sink.

Don't worry about getting flamed for your ideas, I have tons of crazy weird-assed ideas too. Haven't stopped me from posting em hehe

Besides, it's good to have people with different playstyles and viewpoints to highlight what's workable and what's not.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
psst ... there already exists a blessed reagents bag.
It just happens to be disguised as a marble cat.

I know people that have done this the problem is you need 8 and it takes forever for each to spawn the right reg you need. And if you let one accidently run out you have to wait for it to spawn the same reg because the daily reg is random.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a bad idea. How about allowing carpenters or tinkerers to hollow out those talismans to hold a few hundred stones of regs?

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This subject can get very sticky, very fast. Even when I have a suit that's probably worth around 500+ mil, I can still suggest that the game would be better if there was a cap on LRC at about 80 or something. That way reagents actually have a legitimate roll in the game. I hold my tongue most of the time though considering LRC has become such an intricate part of the game now. I still remember spending millions on reagents before LRC came into effect to get my mage up to GM. Those were fun times indeed.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't think inscription and alchemy are legitimate roles?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can still suggest that the game would be better if there was a cap on LRC at about 80 or something. That way reagents actually have a legitimate roll in the game.
This is probably the best idea I've seen yet.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is probably the best idea I've seen yet.
It would have been a good idea when AoS came out, for sure.

As to now?

I definitely worry it'll **** off way too many people who are playing as well as they can with the system we are given.

Having said that....I know through anecdotes that less people than I thought are running around with 100% LRC. Lots of people, at least on LS, seem to run with 80% or 90% or 95% and run with Arcane Clothing or carry around a small number of reagents.

So how about having diminishing returns.....Where, say, after 85% LRC, each additional point of LRC you have has a lesser chance of working. So that, say, 100% LRC will end up only working 95% of the time, 99% will work, say, 94.5% of the time, etc.

If you have a 500m LRC max everything suit, you'll still have the best suit available, it's just that the property itself has been nerfed. Everyone will carry at least some reagents, or carry lots of arcane clothing. Because who wants to fizzle on, say, the last e-bolt in a duel? Who wants to effectively miss on the killing blow?

-Galen's player

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm in favor of the lrc cap. Make regs and arcane items useful again.

I only see it as being a balance between mage and dexers because mages spells are 100% effective and with 100% lrc the only limiting factor is mana.

I think the ratio after 85% lrc would probably pi ss as many people off as reducing cap would. Not sure if youd gain much in the process.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So how about having diminishing returns.....Where, say, after 85% LRC, each additional point of LRC you have has a lesser chance of working. So that, say, 100% LRC will end up only working 95% of the time, 99% will work, say, 94.5% of the time, etc.
if this is implemented I would like to see the same added to quivers, to keep things even. If a mage dies and he is dependant on regs, he has to get back to his body in order to cast a simple in lor, let allown invis etc. If thats the case archers and fighters etc should have the same dependancy, to be unarmed till they touch there corpse.
You may say ah but a mage can use arcane clothing and wear them, so instead of mallisas cloak, or his luck robe etc the mage would have to forgo there benifits. You could if this deminished idea was implemented to all class's give the arcane clothing the same usage for weapons allowing one use per charge and see how soon the idea would be thrown out.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a mage dies and he is dependant on regs, he has to get back to his body in order to cast a simple in lor, let allown invis etc.
he would still have 80% chance of successful casting. Its not the same.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I use it several of my characters (obviously not ones with Chiv). Any character with Magery if they have LRC or not have at least Arcane boots if not Boots + cloak and/or robe.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a fair amount of arcane items, but in the back of my mind I expect those characters will eventually have LRC suits.

C

Cromag

I'm in favor of the lrc cap. Make regs and arcane items useful again.

I only see it as being a balance between mage and dexers because mages spells are 100% effective and with 100% lrc the only limiting factor is mana.

I think the ratio after 85% lrc would probably pi ss as many people off as reducing cap would. Not sure if youd gain much in the process.
Regs and arcane items couldn't be more useful to me. I could never afford my mage's armour if it had LRC. I just dont see why anyone would pay hundreds of millions to avoid a minor inconvenience.

Dying is too convenient already. *ducks*

H

Hopeful

I understand the frustration of loosing the regs you have (I hate losing bandies) . I know its tuff to obtain an all 70S 100% lrc suit. It should be. The ability to harness the most powerful stand alone skill in the game without such drawbacks seems well.... too easy.
A bag like this sounds very good for saving the gold you would spend on regs you lost . But what you really want is to make it easier in general to get a decent suit. There are too many people that worked too damn hard to get one.I still dont have a decent one. Anything worth having should never be easy to get.
Try trainiing a mage without LRC to get a taste of UO before it existed. That will give you an appreciation for why it should be hard to get.
But really ... how many regs in gold could you be losing 10k? That aint much compared to the sudden imbalance of armor in the game and its value.
You make a good point about the quivers vs. this blessed bag. Thats probably been argued before. However given magerys diverse applications I feel it deserves such a drawback.

K

Kimball

I, for one, use arcane clothing on most of my characters. I have one character with only arcane clothing to cast, no regs, no LRC (obviously not a main mage), but I have insured arcane clothing on my mage as well so that I can cast even after I die. Some LRC and arcane clothing you can still cast many spells.

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't think inscription and alchemy are legitimate roles?
Hehe, yes, of course those do. But, a mage (or spell caster) should somehow require reagents. Imagine if LRC worked with inscription and alchemy? Reagents would be worthless then. This is a pointless discussion though because there are already spell casting skills that don't use any type of reagent at all (chivalry and spell weaving, although they aren't as near as usefull as magery by itself) and LRC is already a huge part of the game. Of course, there is always the argument that dexers will have a huge advantage because they "never" use reagents. This game is basically 90% equipment now and 10% skill. I can say that most dexers don't stand a chance against me in a 1 v 1 arena. I would be extremely cheap and use the most effective methods to defeat the opponent (blood oath and all that jibberish). But they would not stand a chance none the less. And then you consider all of the multiple abilities that a mage has, let alone a necro mage, it makes a dexer look like a meat shield (which they are, LOL). I would still play the game though if "they", the watchers from above, placed a cap on LRC at 80% or whatever. And yes, I play a necro mage as my main character and I have a template for about everything that you can imagine (that is effective in the UO world), including a mindless dexer that has a 1337 suit.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but I have insured arcane clothing on my mage as well so that I can cast even after I die.
*realizes that I misread a stratics article 4 years ago have been mistakenly thinking all this time that arcane clothing was uninsurable*

L

Lord Zephyrus

Well when i came into this game about oh 2ish years ago I said a mage was for me. I thought hard and long and came up with the name Zephyrus from reading lore of old gods ect. My friend promised to help me out and as such he did in one major way he gave me a charger. For that i am eternally grateful. Well early on i studied stratics and everything there was to know about a mage. I worked dilligently to get to where i could cast ressurection. That was my first goal in the game. Well i'm getting off the subject. Anyway My mage was trained from 0.0 to 115 magery with only a death robe and a full 70 leather suit. Well I went through a crapload of reagents. Every single gold i made in game was spent on reagents starting out. Well later on i started trying to formulate a decent full 70 lrc suit and the best i could do was about 50 lrc which was a huge improvement. Till this day i still carry around my faithful little reg basket/bag/backpack . I also carry some arcane clothing for those Oh crap that ogre lord just totally took my regbag moments. It's just i wish i could have a little blessed reg bag. For those oh crap moments. My mage has grown from the [young] player wondering around old haven trying to kill a freaking mongbat to quite a powerful being. But i continue to use reagents and i always will unless somebody throws 500 million gold in my lap so i can have a L337 Suit. I dont know any other class that is so handicaped. Most warriors carry bandies and pots or they have a little chivalry to heal themselves. Archers have their blessed or insurable quiver so they can jump right back in the fight. While us casters have to hope and pray that what or whoever just killed us didint take our little bag. A warrior can still fight after rezzing. A archer can run and shoot. While a mage sits there with the red letters. You dont have the required reagents to cast that spell. Well i'm tired just got done working 16 hours and i'm going to log off. Good night and thanks for reading my wall of text. And most especially thank you to those who was understanding of my idea.

S

Sweeney

Well when i came into this game about oh 2ish years ago I said a mage was for me. I thought hard and long and came up with the name Zephyrus from reading lore of old gods ect. My friend promised to help me out and as such he did in one major way he gave me a charger. For that i am eternally grateful. Well early on i studied stratics and everything there was to know about a mage. I worked dilligently to get to where i could cast ressurection. That was my first goal in the game. Well i'm getting off the subject. Anyway My mage was trained from 0.0 to 115 magery with only a death robe and a full 70 leather suit. Well I went through a crapload of reagents. Every single gold i made in game was spent on reagents starting out. Well later on i started trying to formulate a decent full 70 lrc suit and the best i could do was about 50 lrc which was a huge improvement. Till this day i still carry around my faithful little reg basket/bag/backpack . I also carry some arcane clothing for those Oh crap that ogre lord just totally took my regbag moments. It's just i wish i could have a little blessed reg bag. For those oh crap moments. My mage has grown from the [young] player wondering around old haven trying to kill a freaking mongbat to quite a powerful being. But i continue to use reagents and i always will unless somebody throws 500 million gold in my lap so i can have a L337 Suit. I dont know any other class that is so handicaped. Most warriors carry bandies and pots or they have a little chivalry to heal themselves. Archers have their blessed or insurable quiver so they can jump right back in the fight. While us casters have to hope and pray that what or whoever just killed us didint take our little bag. A warrior can still fight after rezzing. A archer can run and shoot. While a mage sits there with the red letters. You dont have the required reagents to cast that spell. Well i'm tired just got done working 16 hours and i'm going to log off. Good night and thanks for reading my wall of text. And most especially thank you to those who was understanding of my idea.
... insured arcane armor. That answers it all, somewhat. Commenting on your original post again.. allowing blessed reg bags would mean exactly what my first reply was, 70 suits tailored to LMC, FC/FCR, etc. Mage templates would become vastly overpowered if their suits didn't rely on LRC.

If you thought my constructive criticism was a flame you need to grow up. You may have problems with archers, but suggest a change to that.

You must think of every suggestion in the case of the worst-possible scenario, from the big picture. Thinking of how your idea can be exploited is what makes exploit-proof ideas come into the game to stay.

L

Lord Zephyrus

I didint think you was flameing me. And i'm 21. Sometimes i dont quite get the words in the exact context i wish to so it may come across the wrong way or as complete rubbish but i'm just really tired and cant sleep for some reason. No hard feelings i'm not here to make enemies or upset people. i just had a idea , not a very original one apparently but a idea none the less. I suppose i typed before i thought hehe.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all the SE plate made from Duped vals there are few mages not running around in their Uber suits. I see no imbalance in the game besides the fact that newer poorer players with morals can put a better suit together. And what Luck Tamer wouldn't want a blessed reg bag to cover their armor. I don't see much a dent to the LRC market because plp will try to aviod game time collecting reg supply. Hell have the ninja belt for storage ideal. Balance it out instead of a bag make it a vest that takes the chest armor slot. The regs in the vest are only for use while worn and insured instead of blessed

The arcane can be insured but not CBDed, and after the gloves are arcaned wont get to do any sneaky imbueding. I've known arcane users that carried gems instead of arcane cloths. Still get a few charges with JOAT.

E

eolsunder

Long have we said to cap LRC at 75-80%, but what has happened. We have been given super dragons instead... huh? I had thought tamers were estatic with the super Cu's that were tamable, when suddenly presto! something even stronger.

and still .. lrc 100%.