• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] A question about getting resource squares to change.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well two questions, actually.

1. do I need to totally empty the tree out in order for it to have a chance to change to something else?

2. are there some trees that will *always* be normal wood and will never change to ever giving special woods?

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. No. Some people SWORE that they could keep a resource square from changing my only hitting it "x" number of times, but the devs said it was just the act of hitting the source ONCE for that resource, that triggered the change possibility. Eventually, this was proven correct, as trees changed that were only beeing hit for 50-60 logs per trip.

2. Can't speak for the trees, but for mining, there are no areas that are always only Iron. Should be the same for trees, barring some accident of coding. Do note, that the ratio of colored/normal wood, and number of productive swings for that square, stay constant, regardless of the resource it currently is, so as long as you can get that spot to produce X% of colored resource for you on average, it will do it whenever that spot produces ANY colored type of that resource. The only things that affect this are racial bonuses (which themselves are debatable for smithing, but obviously a big factor in lumberjacking) and the actual availability at the moment of a colored resource (which for mining, is simply a matter of using special tools).

Dangit, I want a forester's tool to elevate woods!