• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Petition to EA to Bring Back a Pre-AOS SHard! Post yes or no!

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am an old player of uo. I and many others would like to have an old school pre-aos shard to play on. I am hoping there is a large number of you who would like to also. Tell everyone you know to sign up on this fourm, lets let UO know what we (the players) want for a change!

G

Its not going to happen.

EAMythic has said repeatedly that there will not be a any type of "classic" shard.

For many reasons, including but not limited to the following:

1) They all ready have to maintain 3 rule sets (Fel side, Tram side, Seige/Mugen)

2) During the move out to Redwood, California from Austin, Texas the back up servers with the information on shards before patching/modifications was lost, misplaced or some how deleted. So EAMythic can not replicate earlier shard versions.

3) What would constitute a "classic" shard? For you it seems to be a pre-AoS shard. But others would argue for a shard pre-T2A, some original + T2A, etc. Since people can not agree what is a classic shard; they are not going to risk it.

4) Many people say they want a "classic" shard but fail to realize just how many sub systems and tweaks have been introduced into the game that people would still want even if it was a "classic" shard. For example the various loot tweaks, locking skills/stats (never could lock them at one time), a pre-AoS shard that you wish would have no paladins or necromancers in it. The list can go on, but I think you get the point.

While I agree that it would be an interesting attempt to have a "classic" shard. No amount of petitioning is going to bring you one. Short of you buying EAMythic and impsoing your will on them, the chances on a "classic" shard are zero.

Your only option for a "classic" shard is a free/gray/player run shard, and we can not talk about them on this forum.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

I am an old player of uo. I and many others would like to have an old school pre-aos shard to play on. I am hoping there is a large number of you who would like to also. Tell everyone you know to sign up on this fourm, lets let UO know what we (the players) want for a change!

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who has never posted before, starts a post on the LS Forum on a topic that's effectively banned on U-Hall (they lock all "classic shard" threads there).

*holds up a red flag*

-Galen's player

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for posting guys.
Not really sure why all the negative feedback but thi is an idea that i have heared many paying players speak of. It may never happen, however I am still voting for Ron Paul even tho hes not going to win :p
The thing is i have found out in life, if you are buying something the company you are buying from usuly listens to the majority of there customers. With that being said, I am not a fourm guy, I am a customer of EA. . .rather it happens or not throw my name in as a YES!

G

<blockquote><hr>

4) Many people say they want a "classic" shard but fail to realize just how many sub systems and tweaks have been introduced into the game that people would still want even if it was a "classic" shard. For example the various loot tweaks, locking skills/stats (never could lock them at one time), a pre-AoS shard that you wish would have no paladins or necromancers in it. The list can go on, but I think you get the point.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the part that always got me when I would read their threads on UHall.

"We want a T2A shard, but it has to have control slots, luck, and bushido skill on it."

I think half the people out there that want a classic shard have no idea that a classic shard means nothing on the shard that was added after that expansion was released. Of course, most of the other half have no idea what they're asking for as they weren't playing at the point where they are wanting the classic shard to be set up at, and are just jumping on the bandwagon with other people.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

anything is better than AoS, but I would say pub 15.

L

Lilac Crypt

Eh, I'd lock it, but it's a viable topic.. though beaten into the ground.

Not gonna happen, for all the reasons mentioned above. No one can actually decide what is "classic."

Is it the age where house keys can be stolen and all the contents run away with? Is it the age where archer/mages ruled? Is it the age where lumberjacks got enough of a bonus that most everyone was a swords/jacker for the win?

Nah. No one actually wants to go back to having to carry regs that thieves could steal. I can just feel it.

I think LS should get one meandering off-topic irrelevant thread once in a while, lest I be tempted to start posting more gardening tips anyhow!

G

its not negative feedback,

it is just not going to happen. And I gave some (not all) the reasons that EAMythic has listed (in the past) why it will not be done. They are not reasons that I personally made up, but actually voiced in the past by several EAMythic employees.

I would like some type of "classic" shard, just so all the people that I see that keep harping for one. Can have one.

Then I could sit back and laugh, when they would inevitably post - (depending on how far the "classic" shard went back) some of the following questions:

How come there is no colored ore/wood?
How come I can not play an elf, paladin or necromancer?
How come I can not resurrect my pet?
How come I can not lock my skills/stats?
Where can I get power/stat scrolls?

Feel free to list your own silly questions depending on your definition of a "classic" shard.

G

@Lilac Crypt

gardening tips? How are those cocoa trees growning for ya?

At least they are making chocolates markable. Got the ingridents for sale cheap if anyone needs them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

its not negative feedback,

it is just not going to happen. And I gave some (not all) the reasons that EAMythic has listed (in the past) why it will not be done. They are not reasons that I personally made up, but actually voiced in the past by several EAMythic employees.

I would like some type of "classic" shard, just so all the people that I see that keep harping for one. Can have one.

Then I could sit back and laugh, when they would inevitably post - (depending on how far the "classic" shard went back) some of the following questions:

How come there is no colored ore/wood?
How come I can not play an elf, paladin or necromancer?
How come I can not resurrect my pet?
How come I can not lock my skills/stats?
Where can I get power/stat scrolls?

Feel free to list your own silly questions depending on your definition of a "classic" shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most players that want a classic shard, do not care which era it is as long as it is Pre AoS.

You could still lock stat and skills and get powerscrolls before the Age of Shadows, so thats not an issue. Why would people care about colored wood? Being an Elf or having necromancy skills? I could be mistaken but this is the kinda stuff that people 'don't' want
. All colored wood is good for is people to script and use to turn in at the museum or library =&gt;

Tailean

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be something good to bring back old players....I played in a pre-AOS stage. I think what most would like is a game based on skill (the naked mages of old) and not on items. I mean to be honest UO has changed so much since pre-aos. I am just requesting a shard based on skill rather than items. SO until mind blast does more damage when my stats are not leveled out, Make mine LS :p

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

Most players that want a classic shard, do not care which era it is as long as it is Pre AoS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based upon the posts made on this topic in U-Hall? Actually they care a lot about stuff like that.

*shrugs*

<blockquote><hr>

Why would people care about colored wood? Being an Elf or having necromancy skills? I could be mistaken but this is the kinda stuff that people 'don't' want

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mistaken.

People had clamored for other playable races for years.

Colored wood? Again, archers had wanted a system like this for years, in order to have enhanced or runic bows. Before those changes, archers had to rely on loot.

Ah, runic.....That's right! Runic items existed before AoS! People forget that.

In fact, "one hit kill runics" were a big source of complaints before artifacts were so much as glimmer in anyone's eyes. Anyone remember "blessed faction runics?"

Let's not forget about the complaints about what was once called "the new leathers." People claimed metal armor was dead many years ago, when barbed, spined, and horned leather all gave you higher AR than most plate armor did. (Incidentally, despite this, metal armor persisted for a long time and continues to in some circles.)

The big source of complaints before the "new leathers" or before runic anything, by the way, was Publish 16, and power scrolls. Uber templates running around.

120 macing/120 Spell Resist/120 Parry/120 Tactics/120 Healing/120 Anatomy for the win. You could basically kill anyone with that template. UO Powergamers once stated that if you were on that template, and anyone tried to kill you with any kind of bow, "laugh at him and kill him." (One of the complaints about the recent era is overpowered archers....Overpowered archers need to be seen in that context, when they were literally laughed at in PvP.)

Before that? A big source of complaints were naked PK mages running around with incredibly high intelligence, basically no dex, and incredibly high strength/health. The nudity gave them incredibly high mana regeneration. The result was that they could kill you could get close enough to land a hit.

Going back even further.....Anyone remember Heavy Crossbows of Vanquishing? One hit kills in some cases. Overpowered archers aren't even a recent invention.

No customer of this game has ever been completely satisfied for very long.

The "Classic Shard" is a false concept, a cover for as many as 15 different proposals, masquerading as a coherent idea.

Deny this all you wish.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

R

RoadKillLS

Just had to make a comment on this one.

I started playing UO when it was about 6 months old. Some of the greatest times I had with my old friends was fighting PKs at the graveyard and trying to kill a PK at Britian North Mine. Fighting a horde of thieves called the green team was always fun. Many may remember that these guy were lead by Blue Maco a really old school griefer Also there many fun times to be had with the guild RD. But it was completely different during that time.

You may ask what is the difference?

Everything back then could be replaced fairly easily. Ok I just got killed by a pk and he looted my player dry. Oh well make me a new sword and armor with my smith and buy more regs, I'm back to playing.

However if i spent all day fighting god knows what to get ingredients to make some uber new weapon just to get nailed outside guard limits, where is the fun in that? Face it the game has changed. Instead of a game that we log on to, to see friends and fight pks who are equally equipped we spend most of our time dying stuff neon and collecting pixels to either pvp or just look cool at the bank.

Now don't think I'm complaining about UO. Just realize that all games change throughout the years. If you don't like the changes do as many of my friends have and move on.

G

I think people associate "classic" as being pre-AOS because that was the last time that UO had a healthy population, though, it only had one other major competitor in the market.

Thinking that EA will allow another version of the game out will only scrape what little staff EAMythic has working on current project thinner. The best bet is to hope they pull out of this mess and get account usage up in the next 2-3 years.....

J

Jorde

exp hallywhack FS nekkid
4months to gm almost any skill
reds rampant (if youre not the best you lose)
hundreds of people sitting in GZ scared to leave town
cant really use good items cuz no insurance
no moongates/runebooks/pet balls
spend hours workin off counts cuttin bandages
fill front of blockade in house with boxes get off mount (mount goes behind blockade) then loot the house

For each of you who are good enough to handle the pressure/work and aggrevation of the original client, there are a thousand who wouldnt last a week.

I had alot of fun on each stage of the game been at it for many many years, but to hope that a game goes back to the buggy, unbalanced mayhem that it used to be isnt realistic... My largest problem with playing on a shard like that would be the endless hours of tryin to find someone to attack.