• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A new thief....

• Thread starter Chronic Apathy
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Chronic Apathy

I was talking to Nexus the other day briefly about making a thief... After some thought and reading I now have a thief and stole some pixel junk from a few people on Chessy. Now I think I am hooked... Still not exactly sure what I am doing but its been fun.

How important is Dex/Str/Int for thieving?

I was thinking I would max Str and HPI. And maybe adding Parry... Any thoughts?

Thanks Chronic

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I was talking to Nexus the other day briefly about making a thief... After some thought and reading I now have a thief and stole some pixel junk from a few people on Chessy. Now I think I am hooked... Still not exactly sure what I am doing but its been fun.

How important is Dex/Str/Int for thieving?

I was thinking I would max Str and HPI. And maybe adding Parry... Any thoughts?

Thanks Chronic
That is one of the beautiful things about a thief, you have a little flexibility in the template. If you don't care about stealth, Stealing and Snooping are about all you'll need the rest is optional. But if you want stealth.... plan to add Hiding, Stealth, and Ninjitsu in the mix. Passive reveal kills! Ninjitsu will let you use shadowjump which doesn't cause a check for passive reveal meaning you don't come unhidden.

Myself I run:
Hiding
Stealth
Snooping
Stealing
Ninjitsu
Fencing
Poisoning
Magery

It seems like a lot (currently about 860 skill points) but I use tons of +skill items to offset things to give me more flexibility. Fencing I use with Poisoning to kill bots, or if I'm stuck somewhere I can't hide I use shadow strike with a dagger to hide myself. Magery is for transporting, I also camp a few IDOCs here and there and it lets me gate in and out pets, friends etc, as well as mark runes.

C

Chronic Apathy

Right now I am running...

Stealing 120
Snooping 100
Stealth 115 heading to 120
Hide 100
Wrestling 120
Ninja 90 heading to 100ish
Healing 90
Some Chiv 40

Thinking of trying some Parry somehow....

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The importance of your stats depends much on your template.

I put my thieves in factions, so more often than not I am being ganked by large groups. I find that the very same thief template I used in the pre-AoS years carries over today, though trading Arms Lore for Ninjitsu (pre-AoS you required Arms Lore to disarm). A straight wrestle/parry thief, with some resist squeezed in or swapped around with parry. But if you don't plan on having an entire team after you, you can get more creative with your template, like Nexus or the temp you are currently working.

Anyway, back to stats. 100-110 base strength, some HP and str bonuses on your suit, and a strength pot with 50% EP will set you straight, there. Aim for at least 130 HP in human form, 150 in wolf.

If you are going to use parry, keep your dex up. Especially if you wont be able to resist curses. Fall under 80 dex and your parry will go to ****. Again, however, you can get a great boost from agility pots and EP. Rely on that.

Intelligence is where you'll need a good base. There's no pot for this, and not many armor pieces with intelligence that's fit for a proper thief. You'd be surprised how quickly ninjitsu moves will eat your mana. With my suit I try to have around 80 mana, with some bit of MR. Smoke bombs, wrestle specials, shadow jump, mirror images, animal form...all uses mana.

C

chessythief

I think we talked in game the other day. I am the only actual thief on Chessy. :)
I run:
120 Stealing
GM Stealth, Hiding, Snoop, Wrestling, Anat, Healing.
80 Ninjitsu
40 Necro.
Skill Jewlery pants and bandana to achieve this.
Its a very fun spec. Great for annoying at the moongate where most action is found. Since I've been back I average about one Artifact a week on the moongate. With the 40 Necro you have Wraith form meaning no push threw for spawns! The suit gets expensive, with all its hit point regin and what not but when its done its amazing!

C

Chronic Apathy

I finally stole something worth while. Few days ago I nabbed Human Fey Leggings. I'm still slow but I really enjoy stealing junk. In fact my thief is my favorite char right now...