• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A new Hub for the Catskills RP Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Referring to the thread "Is there still RP here?", I want to start a new thread to throw in a few ideas and make some suggestions.

Some of us already know about the Roleplayers Ring (collection of message boards, pretty much dead), the Catskills Roleplayer Forums (collection of message boards not many know about), the Catskills RP Wiki (pretty much dead either, hardly anybody knows it), Artystic (a not very well laid out site which isn't used at all, afaik), and maybe there are even other sites out there I never have heard about.

All those sites have one thing in common: The makers put in some effort to build something for our community, and they did not really succeed due to different reasons.

About a year ago, when I re-joined UO after 6 years of absence, I experienced how difficult it is to get in touch with the community, find out which RP guilds were active (which in fact are very few), where their headquarters are located, where to find and how to join them. Google doesn't help either, as there are many many sites of inactive guilds out there. As web and graphics design is part of my job, I thought about building a site, which should become a hub for the Catskills RP Community, with the following purpose:

• Each guild should still maintain their own independent websites.
  • The hub site should serve as a central information base for the RP Community, but also for players interested in their activities and events. Its purpose should be, to direct players to guilds and events.
  • It should contain regularly updated information about people (guilds, guild masters), events (player events, recurring events, ventures, expeditions), places (player-run towns, guild headquarters, taverns).
  • The site should be kept simple and very clearly arranged, and well laid out.
  • The site should not be updated by only one person. In fact, it should be possible to delegate update permissions of certain sections of the site to different people (there are very handy tools out there which allow such a thing).
  • The site could host guild forums, but it would not be our priority in the first stage.
  • The site should be created in a way so it can easily be found through search engines, and it should be advertised on existing popular pages (for example, uo.com, stratics, uoguide etc.).

As you can see, the concept is rather simple. It just has to be done.
However, before someone starts to build such a thing, we should make sure the following is available long term:

• A web space and a domain.
  • The support of the existing RP guilds.
  • Someone who wants to be responsible for this, and this person should be someone who plans to play UO until the very end. :)

Do you have ideas, suggestions? Are you willing to help? Do you have a web space available? Do you want to volonteer? Please, post your feedback!

Hawkeye Pike

Travixus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most of the RPers are using the Catskills Roleplaying Forums, which have pretty much all the stuff you listed in your bullet points.

Also, if you google "Ultima online catskills roleplaying" or just "catskills roleplaying", those forums are the first hit.

L

laurlo

already happening, use the link Trav posted, and I think there are links to each individual forums/website on there as well.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are links to all the rp guilds that have offered them to the admins. Any GM of a roleplay guild on Catskills, can pm the admins and have their individual guild listed along with contact information and the url of forums or web site information.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As the others stated, an RP board is alive and working. Starting a second, or third board is always counter productive, and leads to a devided community.

Unless that is the aim of this "new" RP board, I would suggest following the link provided to the Catskills RP Community.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May I point a fewthings out Mr. Durreah?

First, the original post by Pike was 18 months ago. After having been pointed out that the community already had such a place, Pike dropped the idea.

Second, the place where the community was so adamant that we had, fell through. Not only that, but the place where the community created to replace the place that fell through, is no longer in place.

Third, none of the people who responded to the above original post are currently active in any UO forum (And to my knowledge, most aren't active in UO).

So um... why are you responding to an 18 month old thread?

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zendra and Phaen are both still around. I do believe that yes, Trav has moved on. I responded to it today because it was mentioned in an up to date post made.

It is important to be sure that all information gets to the communtiy. For that reason alone, I would again put forth the existance of an RP Hub. I am sure you are aware of many times in the past when break downs in communications led to little more the strife in the community.

Having the one place available to all RP guilds is the best way to assure that all RPers stay in touch.

(points up) You called me Mr. hahahah

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way, this is the post made today by Pitr that I got the link from. And it is the first time in truth I have seen the link at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus
1) Is this char suppose to be a 7xGM char and wear gm made armor and weps?

- Any template you wish... just create a story for your character.
http://www.uoforums.com/rbg-ic-publi...oductions.html

Quote:
2) No jewelry, no pots, petals, of the sort?

- Any gear/items.

Quote:
3) Do we fight each other or just do RP quests?

- Royal Guards dont fight each other unless at tournaments.

Quote:
4) Does the chapter have to be city related?

- A Town or a Location.
Ex: Some are roleplaying they are stationed in New Haven, some are roleplaying they are part of the Abyss Outpost defense... however a good story can create a new interesting twist to everything.

Quote:
5) Can chapters be rogue chapters? Like dark knights formed as a bandit type chapter? Kind of like chaos and order type of groups?

- Ultimately that is one of the goals. To have shard wide RP wars exactly like we did with Chaos/Law (go go DOA). I dont believe a rogue group of Royal Guards can survive... I do believe that if you wish to create a force of Darkness... a new guild and ingame/board/icq diplomatics will take you a long way and improve the shard interactivity.

Quote:
6) Is it just Paladins or any type of char? If it's a Paladin only chapter then is it swords, fencing and archery type of dexxers?

- Any template... of course, evil aligned characters cant join.

Quote:
7) Do these chapters have the guild war thingy going on and/or allowed to have alliances?

- In Roleplay, highlighting means "diplomatic link" of some kind.
- We are "warring" UP and ^V^... which means we have a close relationship with them... we report to GMs and keep a honorable relationship. Everyone reported on foul behavior is removed first, questions are asked later.

Quote:
8) Can somebody just give me a link with all the info so I can quit asking questions?

http://www.uoforums.com/royal-britannian-guard-rbg/

Adam set us up with a 512 slot Team Speak server (he rocks)
In there you will find other rping guilds from other shards...

"download the TS3 client from here
http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads
Install the program and when it's open and running, click Connections at the top left, then "Connect".
In the address field, put in uoforums.com
The port should read 9987
Nickname (Use one of your choosing)
Leave the password field blank"

And we are working on this project too...
http://www.uoforums.com/community-pl...76935-fyi.html

It seems a HUB is required and Solomon was correct...

Enjoy the Game... and feel free to post at www.uoforums.com

PS: Rules of Engagment
http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/pirates/rules.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CatLord; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.

So As you can see, I did not dredge up the old link, it was dredged up for me.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The idea of my original posting was not to create another message board. The posting was motivated by my experience after returning to Britannia. I had very much trouble finding up-to-date information about active guilds, player towns, vendor malls, events, meeting places etc. I found dozens of web sites about this, almost none of them was current and active, and thus they didn't help me much. And no, the community does not have such a site.

I think that a new player coming to Catskills will be completely lost, because there's not a single source of information, but there are many many sources of outdated information.

Anyway, it seems that for some reason certain people dislike this idea. Instead of constructive feedback I receive a lot of criticism. I have no idea why. That's why I filed this topic away. Bygones.

B

Beleg Megil

Ah, I see what happened.
The thread got *unintentionally* zombied/necroed. I warned Aedon about meddling with dark forces that he didn't understand! :D

Also the link labeled "Catskills Roleplayer Forums" is a dead link. Closed shortly after this thread, I believe. And RP Ring was basically dead since November 2007.

The forum quite a few of us use now is http://catskillsroleplayers.proboards.com/ but I warn you, many of us that play don't have the time we used to for posting. We spend what time we have in game and communicating what we need to over ICQ.

C

CatLord

The forum quite a few of us use now is http://catskillsroleplayers.proboards.com/ but I warn you, many of us that play don't have the time we used to for posting. We spend what time we have in game and communicating what we need to over ICQ.
Thank you.

This is my icq 169-320-850... please send me a message.

I'm trying to learn more about the historic legacy of Catskills... and its secrets...

like... "where are Ricardo's boots?" :gee:

B

Beleg Megil

He has Gladiator boots too, they are awesome!

As far as learning Catskills history from me? Even though I was here for pretty much all of it, ATLEAST four things make Gildar (and Pike and Zen and Azrael and Aedon and Trav ANNNNND pretty much any other roleplayer here) a better historian than me:

1. Multiple concusions. Seriously, I've had 9 doccumented, likely more that went undoccumented. One of which lead to:

2. Motorcycle accident. In the hospital for a couple months, induced comas, therapy, whole nine yards. Which lead to:

3. Vicodin addiction! I've been over it for years now, but seriously, it ate lots of brain cells I think. Did a LOT of playing high.

And finally:

4. I am an opinionated ass. Ask anyone! My view of Catskills history (the parts I remember, anyway) are skewed by lots of loathing.

But I'll send ya a message sometime when I am feeling sociable. But never take my version of history as hard fact.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't we have one here on Catskills? Much like we have the Trades forum and EM event forums? Like underneath our main server one? Is that incredibly difficult?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't we have one here on Catskills? Much like we have the Trades forum and EM event forums? Like underneath our main server one? Is that incredibly difficult?
We probably could, if there is enough interest in it.
How many Catskills RPers would use a forum specific to Catskills RP on Stratics?
Would you be more likely to use that forum than just the normal Catskills forum, or would you use it just as often as you post RP-related things in the normal Catskills forum?
Do any non-RPers find it annoying to have RP posts mixed in with non-RP posts?

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many Catskills RPers would use a forum specific to Catskills RP on Stratics?
Would you be more likely to use that forum than just the normal Catskills forum, or would you use it just as often as you post RP-related things in the normal Catskills forum?
I know that I would DEFINATELY use that, daily. I write a lot (I PROMISE AEDON NOT TO DO ANYTHING WITH YOU IN IT LOL WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT) of stories and so on, so I for one would use it all the time.

I would use the normal board for OOC stuff and administrative things for my city, my guild, or otherwise. The Catskills RP forum would be all IN CHARACTER for me.

I would imagine a lot of non-RP'ers would love to get us RP'ers off their "norm" board. ;)

lil debi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I do not find the mix annoying. I read topics that catch my attention so if the PR is there and the post seems interesting I will read the post.

Guess it is matter of opinion it is easier for me to have everything informative or new in the same area. There are so many areas of post at present it is nice to find info in one area.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
1. 4-6
2. N/A
3. Nope so long as it's not spam.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I would not use an RP only board on stratics. I post here to reach the community at large, not a small segment. Besides, Flutter would miss me too much.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know that I would DEFINATELY use that, daily. I write a lot (I PROMISE AEDON NOT TO DO ANYTHING WITH YOU IN IT LOL WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT) of stories and so on, so I for one would use it all the time.

I would use the normal board for OOC stuff and administrative things for my city, my guild, or otherwise. The Catskills RP forum would be all IN CHARACTER for me.

I would imagine a lot of non-RP'ers would love to get us RP'ers off their "norm" board. ;)
*grins and wiggles eyebrows at her*

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, I would not use an RP only board on stratics. I post here to reach the community at large, not a small segment. Besides, Flutter would miss me too much.
Everybody is a part of the community even the "small segement" as you put it. It make it easier if there was a dedicated forum for a role player then spread out topics. They just could make a RP forum for all shards and get a broader sense what shard is doing what. I do understand each shard has their own identity and may want to keep the forums seperate which is fine. I figure people that are looking for role playing in games have trouble seeing if UO has a community of RP's or not when stratics is the main site used and no dedicated forum.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everybody is a part of the community even the "small segement" as you put it. It make it easier if there was a dedicated forum for a role player then spread out topics. They just could make a RP forum for all shards and get a broader sense what shard is doing what. I do understand each shard has their own identity and may want to keep the forums seperate which is fine. I figure people that are looking for role playing in games have trouble seeing if UO has a community of RP's or not when stratics is the main site used and no dedicated forum.
Stratics does have a general UO Roleplaying forum - the White Stag Inn:
http://vboards.stratics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or they could post on the RP community board. We are not that hard to find.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think an RP forum on Stratics would be useful, but as its been proven over and over for the five years I've played on this shard, it will be dominated by a single core group, and others who don't agree will divide off and take their posts elsewhere; or stick around to cause trouble.

V

Victoria Navarre

I think an RP forum on Stratics would be useful, but as its been proven over and over for the five years I've played on this shard, it will be dominated by a single core group, and others who don't agree will divide off and take their posts elsewhere; or stick around to cause trouble.
Or they will be banned for not going along to get along,and not doing what they are told.

V

Victoria Navarre

Bogus rules were meant to be broken.

Edit: I was not the only one banned from that defunct forum. Just ask a few of the europa players that made the mistake of posting there. And one that I remember broke a major Proboards rule(posting something nsfw) was given a cutsie title by the admins there....so don't talk to me about how everyone else followed the rules and I didn't. We both know thats not true.....she enforced the rules unevenly.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bogus rules were meant to be broken.

Edit: I was not the only one banned from that defunct forum. Just ask a few of the europa players that made the mistake of posting there. And one that I remember broke a major Proboards rule(posting something nsfw) was given a cutsie title by the admins there....so don't talk to me about how everyone else followed the rules and I didn't. We both know thats not true.....she enforced the rules unevenly.
Without rules there is only anarchy, Perhaps you should start an anarchy forum where everyone does and posts what they wish, no matter how many rules it may break.

The head of the board was the final arbiter of the rules. Your postings took on a tone which brought about your being banned after many, many warnings.

And why, because you were excluded from a meeting of guild GM's only. Heaven forbid you are ever denied access to the supreme court justices chambers.

Oh and Pitr and Beleg, I used to have Lord Abernathy's shoes. They were that bright yellow.

V

Victoria Navarre

Without rules there is only anarchy, Perhaps you should start an anarchy forum where everyone does and posts what they wish, no matter how many rules it may break.

The head of the board was the final arbiter of the rules. Your postings took on a tone which brought about your being banned after many, many warnings.

And why, because you were excluded from a meeting of guild GM's only. Heaven forbid you are ever denied access to the supreme court justices chambers.
Maybe I should start an anarchy forum /sarcasm. Lord knows we have had enough of the despot type forums already....and to equate a gm only meeting to that of a judges private chamber is strange. What good can come of excluding anyone from meetings that decide the direction of any community? Why potentially alienate anyone that wants to be included? For your own ego? Or for the ego of those that ran that dead forum?

C

CatLord

A Community Hub is a place to vist and know what is going on.

It should have the current story line:
- the all shards story line
- the catskills specific story line

It should have a calendar:
- with each guild posting the activites they want to share with the community (and the community strongly supporting them)

It should have a link to all the message boards but not be one.
(messages boards will always include personal choices, this way there are no favorites or biased moderators, just imagine me moderating... now cringe...)

Everyone that wishes to help should have editing rights... not the right to change posts made by others, but the right to add content to the Hub.

It also should have usefull links... not only to catskills related guilds, but to guilds in other shards, so we learn to be less xenophobic (personal point of view)

And of course the usual uoforums, stratics and uoguide.

Children should solve their problems outside the Hub.

This way there is a place where all players can go for instant information... and learn instantly, where the current plot is standing, what is the status of the major ultima online story line, the shard events... know more about the guilds and jump in the fun.

Thank you.

B

Beleg Megil

Victoria/Ashleigh...sheesh, wasn't this a year ago and you are still bringing it up every f'ing chance ya get? You broke the rules. You were warned. Repeatedly. You ignored it and continued. Ya got banned. Instead of getting over it and RPing, you and your boyfriend went on a griefing campaign. He even posted ooc bounties for killing the people that thought you were behaving like a couple of spoiled children. You both conspired to disrupt events.

It seems you are NOT here to RP, but to grief and pancake until you get your way. Meetings for guild leaders only are just that. If you don't trust your GM to represent you and your guild's needs effectively at one of those meetings, get in a new guild or start your own.

The people from Europa were banned from the CATSKILLS forum simply for trashing Catskills events/players/styles and claiming superiority. They weren't there to make the Catskills RP Community better, they were there to trash it and try to recruit folks for Europa. Your lies and spins here won't change that fact.

As far as "conforming" is concerned...well if by that you mean when your expectation that we play our characters as idiots who don't recognize another character who is doing a bad 60s B-movie impression of a vampire as possibly BEING a vampire isn't met... then in turn WE expect YOU to understand that Catskills has a history of vampires and established RP and clans since 1997 and our characters have seen them before and know what to look for and we aren't going to ignore well over a decade of history just because you grace us with your presence....then we give you advice when you whine that all of us took your over-the-top hack-job characterization of a "secret" vampire as OOC info to figure out your character was a vampire and we offer pointers how to play it more discretely....and then you threw a hissy fit and we told you that was NOT the way to go about things...then yes, we expected you to conform. But just conform to being a reasonable, mature, human-effing-being with common sense.

No forum is a democracy. You don't get a vote. The owner makes the rulles and deals the punishment and you accept it and hopefully learn. Instead, you have made it your personal campaign to tear down Catskills any chance you see an opening on any forum you are NOT banned from, by spouting half-truths, flat out lies, veiled insults, threats, laughable bounties, and incentives to grief other players and disrupt their events.

And yes, I know this post is actionable and I'll get some form of punishment for it, but I'm sick of the B.S., lies and constant public snipe attacks/smear campaign. If you hate the community so much, find a new one.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought us PvPers the only dramatic ones lol. All kidding aside lets just move on and keep working for a common good :)

B

Beleg Megil

RPers are here mainly FOR the drama. We prefer to keep it for pretend/in game, but sometimes it leaks. ;)

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I should start an anarchy forum /sarcasm. Lord knows we have had enough of the despot type forums already....and to equate a gm only meeting to that of a judges private chamber is strange. What good can come of excluding anyone from meetings that decide the direction of any community? Why potentially alienate anyone that wants to be included? For your own ego? Or for the ego of those that ran that dead forum?
The good that comes of this is simple. Fewer voices, making plans for events, and interaction between guilds. Hammering out little issues that could crop up before taking it to the memberships at large.

Had you been patient, you would have seen that the next fully open meeting took the issues to all members. You cannot settle things with everyone yelling for attention. That is the purpose for leaders in any community. I am sorry you do not see this, but it is the way things work in a civilized society.

V

Victoria Navarre

The good that comes of this is simple. Fewer voices, making plans for events, and interaction between guilds. Hammering out little issues that could crop up before taking it to the memberships at large.

Had you been patient, you would have seen that the next fully open meeting took the issues to all members.You cannot settle things with everyone yelling for attention. That is the purpose for leaders in any community. I am sorry you do not see this, but it is the way things work in a civilized society.
Having a meeting of gm's only,w/o pryor input from the membership of that community about what should actually be discussed,was a mistake. This link says it well on how I feel that old forum was ran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA

Excalibur is the ban-stick?

C

CatLord

Can you stop arguing and join RBG?
You are most welcome Victoria.

Let dead issues be dead issues...
(Hum I should follow my own advice)

V

Victoria Navarre

Can you stop arguing and join RBG?
You are most welcome Victoria.

Let dead issues be dead issues...
(Hum I should follow my own advice)
I will be joining RBG. I will be adding my mage to Val's guild in Wind and potentially a character in Pandora's guild.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, that ends any involvement I might have had with the RBG. Best of luck Pitr. You will need it.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having a meeting of gm's only,w/o pryor input from the membership of that community about what should actually be discussed,was a mistake. This link says it well on how I feel that old forum was ran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA

Excalibur is the ban-stick?
You will never learn it would seem. You follow no rules save those you make up as you go. Good luck to you lass.

V

Victoria Navarre

You will never learn it would seem. You follow no rules save those you make up as you go. Good luck to you lass.
Then I would make a good rp forum admin? :thumbup1: If I could I would give you a cutsie title right about now....something with poh-tay-toes in there :lol: oh and I need all the luck I can get....thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.